Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratch on bumper. Any way to fix this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier today I saw this scratch on the front driver side bumper of model 3.

I am stumped at how this got there? Any ideas on if it was some road debris, or did someone in the parking garage scrape the car?

Also any thoughts on how to fix this?

PXL_20230908_150947247.jpg

I had my red front bumper fascia or cover replaced at a Tesla service center. As I recall, the pre-painted part was about $1100 or $1200 for material and labor to remove and reinstall....Or you can go the body shop route, but to me, that brings in risk with sanding, possibly filling, painting, overspray, matching, etc. I liked the idea of just replacing the part and getting the car back the same day...

Reactions: show_stoppa
I had my red front bumper fascia or cover replaced at a Tesla service center. As I recall, the pre-painted part was about $1100 or $1200 for material and labor to remove and reinstall....Or you can go the body shop route, but to me, that brings in risk with sanding, possibly filling, painting, overspray, matching, etc. I liked the idea of just replacing the part and getting the car back the same day...
Thanks, any thoughts on how this scratch was made? I have been super careful with the car and have never touched or scraped anything. So still scratching my head about how this scratch was made? Can this type of scratches be made by road debris? Or did someone scrape the car? There was no dent or anything, just scraped paint in this area of bumper.

Seperate question. Does getting it replaced or fixed, show up as accident on the report? I am new to this type of stuff.

Interesting pattern of scrapes. It suggests a complex event or multiple events. Like somebody scraping it with something they're carrying when walking by in a parking lot??

I'd take it to a scratch and dent place. I fixed a less prominent scrape on my white bumper with white primer paint.
I’m with you on this one. Question to the OP is whether you checked the sentry footage?

Interesting pattern of scrapes. It suggests a complex event or multiple events. Like somebody scraping it with something they're carrying when walking by in a parking lot??
Thats what I thought too. Super weird.
I’m with you on this one. Question to the OP is whether you checked the sentry footage?
I did. Nothing there. But I keep the sentry off in my apartment building garage.

The only 2 things I can think of are either someone did something in the garage where the sentry mode was off. Or a couple days ago I was driving behind a trailer which was dropping some tiny debris or rubber. Maybe a few of them hit the car and caused this pattern.

Trying to make sure if it was indeed someone in the garage, else it wouldnt look nice asking the management to show me the garage cameras to point at someone living in the same building as me.

Thats what I thought too. Super weird.

I did. Nothing there. But I keep the sentry off in my apartment building garage.

The only 2 things I can think of are either someone did something in the garage where the sentry mode was off. Or a couple days ago I was driving behind a trailer which was dropping some tiny debris or rubber. Maybe a few of them hit the car and caused this pattern.

Trying to make sure if it was indeed someone in the garage, else it wouldnt look nice asking the management to show me the garage cameras to point at someone living in the same building as me.
I park in our underground as well, but I always keep the sentry on. Some people are Teslas haters, sadly.

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Can this type of scratches be made by road debris? Or did someone scrape the car? There was no dent or anything, just scraped paint in this area of bumper.

Seperate question. Does getting it replaced or fixed, show up as accident on the report? I am new to this type of stuff.
I found matching scrapes on two of my cars and checked my home security camera's. My daughter backed into my Sequoia with my Civic and scraped it, but thought I wouldn't notice (I made her get her own car insurance and gave her the Civic after that). Someone probably was pushing something and brushed up against your car. If you pay to have it fixed at a body shop, it doesn't get reported to carfax.

I am stumped at how this got there? Any ideas on if it was some road debris, or did someone in the parking garage scrape the car?

View attachment 972010
You have two different things going on.

The scrapes are going in different directions so at least TWO separate incidents.

The "white scratches" do not look anything like an impact whatsoever IMO.

The "Black/darker" ones do seem to be a tad bit deeper.

First off. the "white" ones could be buffed out easily IMO. The "black" ones could also be potentially buffed out.

Two separate instances but nothing major at all.

Find a detailer that can fix this. Personally I would do it myself but I have a background in that. (Hobby not a business)

EDIT: perhaps what "could have" happened is someone driving did a "back and forth" and the new scratches happened. The white ones are in one direction and the others "could" have happened at the same time with someone driving back and forth. SO....they could have happened within a small timeframe.

Look at the direction of "scrapes".....just a thought.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd and XPsionic

The scrapes are going in different directions so at least TWO separate incidents.

The "white scratches" do not look anything like an impact whatsoever IMO.

The "Black/darker" ones do seem to be a tad bit deeper.

First off. the "white" ones could be buffed out easily IMO. The "black" ones could also be potentially buffed out.

Two separate instances but nothing major at all.

Find a detailer that can fix this. Personally I would do it myself but I have a background in that. (Hobby not a business)

EDIT: perhaps what "could have" happened is someone driving did a "back and forth" and the new scratches happened. The white ones are in one direction and the others "could" have happened at the same time with someone driving back and forth. SO....they could have happened within a small timeframe.

Look at the direction of "scrapes".....just a thought.
Agreed. Also agree on DIY fixing this. Looks very doable.

I would try and buff it out myself:

Start at the first step, and keep moving down the list until you get to the forth step. STOP at the step you are satisfied. Go progressively more aggressive, and stop once you achieve the results you are satisfied with. Won't be able to get it 100%, but should be able to get it to a point that you can't notice it from a a few feet away.

First, hand buff with polish (like MEGUIAR'S® Ultimate Polish).
Second, hand buff with a bit stronger cutting/rubbing compound (like MEGUIAR'S® Ultimate Compound).
Third, get an random orbital polisher from Harbor Freight (and use MEGUIAR'S® Ultimate Polish).
Forth, use the random orbital polisher with MEGUIAR'S® Ultimate Compound.

All products are available at Harbor Freight and are cheap.

Reactions: stopcrazypp

Not a chance. Two separate incidents in exactly the same spot? Thats not how this stuff works.

It’s one incident. You can see exactly how the bumper popped/flexed in response to the initial hit/compression from the left.

Reactions: XPsionic

Does it matter?
If you parked anywhere in 'da City (or near other people), this is your standard issue bumper rash from other cars learning how to parallel park around you. Or from you (or your better half) doing it the same to others.

Option #1: Buy and install a replacement bumper cover from Tesla SC. Used to cost $1050 installed in 2021, may have gotten more expensive by now.
Option #2: Find an expert body shop, and have them re-fill/re-paint the bumper. Can be done for $500-1,000, depending on where you live (upstate? Manhattan?).

lol. Wife is not allowed to drive this car. But after seeing this scratch, I have softened up on my stance, and will probably start letting her drive it now.

Good idea.
Maybe she will stop putting scratches on the car out of spite in the future?!
;)

• Disagree
Reactions: Soul Surfer

View attachment 972010
I agree with the suggestion by another try to buff it out first. A lot of markings are only on the clear coat or even paint transfer from whatever bumped into you. Then if it still is very obvious (like for example it went through the clear), you can try touchup paint.

If you don't want to do a full buff, something like ScratchX can typically remove most of it (if it was paint transfer):
Amazon.com

Reactions: XPsionic