Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commuting in a Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spot on. My experience too since August 2019. The figures in the original post are simply not real world.

Here are some real-world stats to back it up. My monthly best and worst average efficiency from 18 months of ownership. Assuming 47kWh battery, average range in July 2020 was 207 miles, and average range in Dec 2020 was 161 miles.

Reactions: doats1
Whether you pre-heat the car or not before your journey makes a big difference to the figure shown for the drive. If you are starting from a cold car and all the battery and cabin heating is attributed to your drive and if you are doing lots of short journeys you'll be able to get to 360Wh/mile. It's not a realistic figure for anyone driving a distance to and from work.

Pre-heat in the morning while connected then you'll only see one set of heating as you head back home after work.

if you are doing lots of short journeys you'll be able to get to 360Wh/mile.

Yes this is the best explanation for differences between drivers.

Here are my real world stats

December
410Wh/Miles with over 160 drives (182 miles on 100%)

July
287 Wh/Mile with over 160 drives (261 miles on 100%)

In comparison to the above person I did twice as many drives so that would explain my Wh/Miles being considerably higher.

Reactions: ringi
Yes this is the best explanation for differences between drivers.

Here are my real world stats

December
410Wh/Miles with over 160 drives (182 miles on 100%)

July
287 Wh/Mile with over 160 drives (261 miles on 100%)

In comparison to the above person I did twice as many drives so that would explain my Wh/Miles being considerably higher.

That last point is pertinent. The Model 3 is very efficient on longer journeys, particularly in winter. On a long journey in winter I usually get better efficiency than the monthly average I quote above (between 270 and 280 wh/mile). It’s often the other way round in warmer weather. The point is, the range is always good when you need it.

That last point is pertinent. The Model 3 is very efficient on longer journeys, particularly in winter. On a long journey in winter I usually get better efficiency than the monthly average I quote above (between 270 and 280 wh/mile). It’s often the other way round in warmer weather. The point is, the range is always good when you need it.

Thankfully when you are doing several short journeys you are hardly ever covering a long distance in total. This means that the high Wh/mile isn’t a cause of range anxiety. The problem seems to occur when people look at that consumption and assume that it’s going to be representative of all trips.