Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing EV Charging Cost to ICE Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in all seriousness - how much for gas though ? and when y'all pay $0.22 per kWh - is there an off-peak rate for EV charging ?

Off-peak rates typically are implemented with a Time of Use (ToU) meter. Installation costs before and after the meter are substantial and completely offset savings in the northeast. Maybe it's better in other parts of the country. Remember too, a ToU meter only lowers generation cost (about half of total electricity cost). There's no savings for distribution cost. Here, the payback period was over 12 years so ToU concept was abandoned.

When ranking reasons for buying a $85K+ model S, gas savings should be #4 or higher. It is insignificant.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
in all seriousness - how much for gas though ? and when y'all pay $0.22 per kWh - is there an off-peak rate for EV charging ?

Gas in MA is not as high as in other parts of the country. Station near my house is $2.65/gl for regular. National Grid doesn’t offer any EV charging incentives (although they said they are working on something when my wife asked a few months ago). Not sure if Eversource offers anything. They also will pay to use your Powerwalls (recently announced last week) so that is a plus for those who have solar and powerwall. But other than that I just calculate my running average against what I pay per kW and what we pay for gas for our commuter car to see what the cost per mile is and right now the S is cheaper than the Kia Rio (which gets 30mpg) and this is assuming 100% charging at home (my 6 months of free supercharging ends Saturday).

TOU here in NorthEast WI is pointless too, rate is like $.13-.14 but TOU is $.08 and $.18.
HVAC is primarily Fujitsu minisplits with the old baseboard electric for small rooms and deep sub-zero supplementing. Car is the only load I can really shift TOU and looking at the modest shift in pricing I see little chance it would help.

I feel like the Tesla should EASILY calculate your running cost. Allow the owner to input their kW cost and use this to calculate home charging. It should easily be able to calculate Supercharging costs and then provide this in the Trip screen. I mean after all they love to show the cost savings cost of the car when you build it why not continue that after taking ownership. I think this is something thye can easily implement into the cars Settings screen. Doesn't need to be front center but that Trip page is pretty empty and can hold a ton of info.

Reactions: SDRick