Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing EV Charging Cost to ICE Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I'm waiting for my DA and SA's to un-ghost me to schedule my CPO delivery - I ran some numbers and decided to share here

here is a breakdown based on miles driven (30, 50 for daily usage, 1000 and 12000 for monthly and annual + 800 for a typical road-trip)

electricity rates are broken down into
- off-peak - GREEN
- normal - YELLOW
- peak / RED

based on kWh / 100 miles
- Model 3 - 26 kWh
- Model S 33 kWh
- Model X 36 kWh

ICE fuel was broken down by
- truck - 17mpg
- lux sedan - 20mpg
-
mid-size sedan - 30mpg
- compact - 40mpg

Image 6-26-19 at 4.05 PM.jpg

let me know if I missed something in my assumptions

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and rsg123
While I'm waiting for my DA and SA's to un-ghost me to schedule my CPO delivery - I ran some numbers and decided to share here

here is a breakdown based on miles driven (30, 50 for daily usage, 1000 and 12000 for monthly and annual + 800 for a typical road-trip)

electricity rates are broken down into
- off-peak - GREEN
- normal - YELLOW
- peak / RED

based on kWh / 100 miles
- Model 3 - 26 kWh
- Model S 33 kWh
- Model X 36 kWh

ICE fuel was broken down by
- truck - 17mpg
- lux sedan - 20mpg
-
mid-size sedan - 30mpg
- compact - 40mpg

View attachment 423652

let me know if I missed something in my assumptions
nice chart. Good for Texas and some other states, however you may or may not know electricity for some people might be as high as 50 cents kWh. In general, it cost me about 1/3 the price to run my tesla as it does to run the ICE car. Not counting maintenance of course.

Folks might want to check out this site. It is reasonably accurate and fast to use. It's a real calculator where you enter in your own values.
Discover the savings of driving electric!

Last edited:
You forgot solar panels. My cost is less than 1 cent per kWh. Basically it's the power company's minimum monthly charge. They have produced 67,000 kWh since installation 5.5 years ago.
Well yes, but you know it is really costing you more than 1 cent kWh because you had to buy that system and have to amortize that cost over the life of the system. Probably really at least 6 cents kWh.

Last edited:
You forgot solar panels. My cost is less than 1 cent per kWh. Basically it's the power company's minimum monthly charge. They have produced 67,000 kWh since installation 5.5 years ago.

yeah - definitely a thing, just hard to justify the installation cost since my electric company doesn't offer net metering :( ... and there is the whole installation cost on it's own. Trying to keep it simple and evangelizing EV while I'm at it

Just want it thrown out there since good tables like this will be referenced again.

Weather matters. Hot and cold but especially cold.
For those of us who live in cold climates winter energy use spikes in a big way. It gets below zero and if I forget to warm up my P85 my 7 mile drive to work will register over 800wh/m and settle down to low 700s by the time I park it. Figure cost to heat the pack prior to charging and I am fairly certain that in January near Green Bay isn't saving my much if anything vs. my 2005 Sierra. Same drive in May might be 270wh/m since the heat not AC has to do much.

National average residential electricity rate is $.1331 so a little higher than your highest chart.

When I talk EVs here I am quick to tell people about winter energy use spikes, cabin heating uses a LOT but it stabilizes on longer drives, but I also point out to them that heat is INSTANT and the app is pure magic compared to garbage like OnStar so it is easy to defrost windows and the like, or in the case of the S run the heat for awhile when it get sunny to defrost the window seals so it can retract when opening the door.

Again thank you for the charts. Just wanted to add some food for further thought.

great point on the cold weather correction - not my problem right now, but a great point nonetheless

so here we go

- first row: Austin, TX: PEC off-peak rates vs local regular gas price
- second row: U.S. average rates vs U.S. average gas price
- second row: U.S. average rates vs U.S. average gas price with cold weather Wh/m correction
Image 6-26-19 at 8.12 PM.jpg

I grow tired of explaining this but I do not have to amortize the PV solar panels. They are an improvement to the house and increase its value. I get that back when I sell the house. The house is currently worth 7 times what I paid for it.

I have net metering sort of. The power company installed two meters. One measures power in and the other measures power out. Every kWh I send out comes back as free electricity. The equivalent of a 100% efficient AC battery if such a thing existed.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP