Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison Model S, Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the engineer driving the X when I got my ride about the roof rack question and his answer was they have planed for it with a ingenious idea that they were not going to reveal quite yet but he basically said not to worry it will be there even with falcon doors..... we'll just have to wait and see

If I had to guess what they're planning I would say they have some kind or rack or basket (like a Land Rover) and there is a central rail (or two rails close together) running down the middle of the roof. When you want to open the Falcon Doors then the rack/basket just slides forward until it is over the front seats and the hood. Then when you close the door it slides back into position over the front and rear seats. Maybe it is motorized and it's an accessory you buy directly from Tesla.

Maybe they're gonna use the idea I suggested here.

7080868-0-large.jpg

Can't picture how that could work considering that there are three dimensions involved with the Falcon doors. If you attempt to swing them forward like a conventional door, the part that extends into the roof of the car has no clearance to twist, based on the present shape.

I have a guess how they will do the rack. On top of the car like usual. However, when the button to open the doors is pushed, the rack first lowers to the side of the car getting out of the away of the doors and making loading and unloading the rack easier. This approach takes a problems and makes it into an asset. I think there is a kayak rack that does something like this. However, the problem of creating drag and reducing range still remains. Hmm how to have your cake and eat it too ...