Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison Shopping & Need Input Model Y Perf or RS5 Sportback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently drive an S4, but looking for more space/cargo capacity, and want to continue having a 'fun' car to drive. Have driven a Model Y performance and was surprised at how well it drove/handled, but wasn't necessarily overwhelmed by the interior. Also hear a lot of comments about Model Y quality, body panels not lining up etc. I also have to admit, sort of struggle that the car is silent (ie no engine noise)--suspect that is something you quickly get used to? I'm comparing with an RS5 sportback---would buy a '19 certified pre owned. So price comparison is like $60ish for the Model Y (would not do the full auto drive option as I don't drive that many miles a year nor is my commute lengthy/difficult) while a CPO RS5 is likely more like $70ish.

Thoughts? Comments? Anybody have both and can offer some guidance? Thanks!

I have driven the MY performance and the S5 (not RS5). From a "car guys" perspective, the Audi is a fabulous car. Beautiful to look at, the interior is amazing, tech galore and the sound of the motor is awesome (especially if you're into performance driving). The down side is the cost, maintenance and if it breaks...I'm sure you've heard the horror stories. I have to admit I am an Audi fan, always have been..my second car was an Audi coupe I bought from a wrecker and fixed up with my dad (best $500 I ever spent). So I'm a bit partial.

Even with all that, I still bought the Tesla (non-performance version). The MY is easier to get in/out of (yes, age is a factor in my case), is much easier to get my kids into (although the Audi surprised me with the interior space, once you shoehorn yourself in there..:)), and is all around a more eco friendly choice..this may or may not matter to you. The interior will NOT stack up to the Audi (IMO) but it is still nice, comfortable and very clean. The MY is also fast (even the non-performance version), deceptively fast. I think official 0-60 is faster for the MY (LR AWD) than for the RS5, the performance version beats it by quite a bit. You'll get past the lack of motor noise pretty fast. IMO it's easier to hear how bad your tires are complaining...:D The drivability of the MY is great, it corners much better than I expected and is very fun in the hills.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong either way, so long as either you have a good /cheap Audi mechanic nearby OR you are handy with the spanners. :cool:

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Appreciate all the comments here, especially as regards an SQ5. That is what my wife drives (2020 model) so I know it well. How do you all feel about driving/dynamics relative to the SQ5? Sounds positive from your comments. Thanks again!
Once you get the hang of the Y brake regen (not the actual brake pedals), it's amazing. It's like having ceramic brakes on call (except when it's really cold). The SQ5 steering feels very sluggish and vague compared to the Y. Originally I thought the SQ5 had a great power delivery but now I've noticed the lag from 0-10 mph. It's hard to beat having that instant torque with an EV. The SQ5 handling is quite good but again, it's hard to compare to the Tesla with the low center of gravity due to the batteries. All in all, the Y beats the SQ5 is almost every performance aspect (in my subjective opinion).

Where the Audi does better: 1) road noise isolation. The Tesla does quite a poor job of isolating the road and suspension noises in the wheel well. People will say it's because it's an EV and it's quiet, but if you pop the Audi into neutral at 65 mph, it's a night and day difference. Tesla still has some ways to go to learn about managing NVH. 2) not all Teslas are like mine but interior rattles are common and most are not easy to find and fix. I fixed one in the driver door panel but haven't fixed the one in the rear seats or rear hatch area. It's pretty annoying. The seat belt mechanism in the door pillar is also known to rattle, as is parts of the front dash. 3) Service. No debate on this one. Dedicated service advisor with Audi, very easy to coordinate any issues. Guaranteed a loaner vehicle. Tesla, you may get Uber credits.

• Helpful
pt19713, "Originally I thought the SQ5 had a great power delivery but now I've noticed the lag from 0-10 mph."

HAHAHA! I loved the turbo-lag power of my 1993 chipped Audi S4, but there is no comparison between an ICE and an electric, for instant response.

Even with my lowly 2015 LeafS, stop light off-the-line beats almost everyone...for the first 20 yards...

Reactions: frankvb and pt19713
Haha I actually just went through this exact same decision, albeit I was looking at the RS5 coupe not SB. Anyway, I was really interested in one model but it sold too quickly for me to make up my mind. I was leaning more towards the RS5 rather than the Tesla just because it was such a good price and it was a fabulous car, well maintained.

But now that I'm looking at other models at dealers I'm just struck with how much used ones have depreciated. 2019s are starting to show up with less than 10k miles and are selling in the mid to high 60s. This is on a car that based at around 86-90k. I ultimately gave the Tesla a test drive and fell in love and placed an order tomorrow. My main driver, other than the fun-to-drive component, was resale. If I'm buying a new car, I want it to be worth as much as possible for as long as possible and unfortunately the RS5 isn't going to ever be able to match Tesla's depreciation. But for the right deal, if residual value isn't a concern I think I may have preferred the audi.

GL!

Where the Audi does better: 1) road noise isolation. The Tesla does quite a poor job of isolating the road and suspension noises in the wheel well. People will say it's because it's an EV and it's quiet, but if you pop the Audi into neutral at 65 mph, it's a night and day difference. Tesla still has some ways to go to learn about managing NVH. 2) not all Teslas are like mine but interior rattles are common and most are not easy to find and fix. I fixed one in the driver door panel but haven't fixed the one in the rear seats or rear hatch area. It's pretty annoying. The seat belt mechanism in the door pillar is also known to rattle, as is parts of the front dash. 3) Service. No debate on this one. Dedicated service advisor with Audi, very easy to coordinate any issues. Guaranteed a loaner vehicle. Tesla, you may get Uber credits.

Definitely noticed the road noise, although model I drove did not have the double paned glass that I see is now standard. That should help. Loaner vehicle is an interest point, pretty easy now to roll into the Audi dealer, drop the car, and get in something else and drive off. I live in Kansas City so while Uber is available, its not always a short wait. Then again, presumably shouldn't be getting service that often.

Great to get the insight here, really appreciate it.

Sorry for the double post, trying to get the hang of this 'insert quote' function.

Haha I actually just went through this exact same decision, albeit I was looking at the RS5 coupe not SB. Anyway, I was really interested in one model but it sold too quickly for me to make up my mind. I was leaning more towards the RS5 rather than the Tesla just because it was such a good price and it was a fabulous car, well maintained.

But now that I'm looking at other models at dealers I'm just struck with how much used ones have depreciated. 2019s are starting to show up with less than 10k miles and are selling in the mid to high 60s. This is on a car that based at around 86-90k. I ultimately gave the Tesla a test drive and fell in love and placed an order tomorrow. My main driver, other than the fun-to-drive component, was resale. If I'm buying a new car, I want it to be worth as much as possible for as long as possible and unfortunately the RS5 isn't going to ever be able to match Tesla's depreciation. But for the right deal, if residual value isn't a concern I think I may have preferred the audi.

GL!

Amen on the depreciation! One of the reasons I am not looking at a new RS5! Damn fun car to drive though, then again, the Model Y is as well! Appreciate your comments!

Definitely noticed the road noise, although model I drove did not have the double paned glass that I see is now standard. That should help. Loaner vehicle is an interest point, pretty easy now to roll into the Audi dealer, drop the car, and get in something else and drive off. I live in Kansas City so while Uber is available, its not always a short wait. Then again, presumably shouldn't be getting service that often.

Great to get the insight here, really appreciate it.
Unfortunately the laminated glass won't make much of a difference. On the new Model 3, it was tested to show a 3 dB difference.
Most of the road noise comes in from the wheel wells and not the windows.

For most new Y owners, I'd say there's typically one or two service center visits in the early part of ownership to take care of Due Bill items.

I had a 2014 Audi S5 6spd manual with way too many upgrades. It's a completely different car than the Model Y. Getting an RS5 would be totally different as well.

I couldn't compare them, but the Model Y won it for me. It's faster, more practical, and electric is the future.

Now... if the new RS6 was in the same price range... that would be a different story ;)

I'm thinking of selling an S5 Sportback for a MYP and have driven RS5s, so I can provide some insight here. I've owned a lot of cars and the S5 might be my overall favorite--it is a really excellent all-rounder. I think the MYP is better for my overall use case, but it is a close call. My current plan is to arrange delivery of my MYP and walk away from the car/Tesla if there are build quality issues with that particular car.

S5/RS5 pros:
  • Looks
  • Assembly quality/solidity
  • Dealer support
  • Available options packages
  • Almost a purpose-built roadtrip/touring car--Heads up display with a virtual cockpit, powerful, comfortable massaging seats, quiet at speed, good highway mpg, good storage room, gas range (obviously). I've taken my S5 on 600+ and 1,000+ mile roadtrips and it's flawless for that application.
  • Torsen quattro AWD system is still best-in-class.
S5/RS5 cons:
  • Horrible transmission logic in both cars unless the car is in mpg-unfriendly sport mode. In "D" mode the engine/transmission tend to keep RPMs under 1,500 and you can input an inch of pedal travel before the engine/transmission decide to downshift and give you power. This makes both cars genuinely unpleasant to drive in some scenarios. This isn't turbo lag, which is very minimal on both cars, it is bad transmission tuning.
  • Poor city mpg for both cars, but especially RS5 (as in mid-low teens mpg on premium gas). But they can do high 20s/low 30s cruising at 75mph.
  • Low roofline is unfriendly for kids' car seats.
  • RS5 doesn't feel particularly "special" versus the S5, as compared to other RS cars. It's the same basic formula as the S5--turbo six, AWD, ZF 8spd transmission, adaptive suspension, and the interiors are virtually identical
  • On the slower side of their class of cars.
  • RS5 adaptive suspension damping is not tuned well. Can be simultaneously bouncy and over-stiff.
  • High service costs for wear items like brakes.
MYP pros:
  • Zero to highway speed acceleration unlike any comparable car in the world. Even the bruiser SUVs like the Stelvio Quad and JGC Trackhawk require winding up and launching to get the acceleration that the MYP gives effortlessly.
  • Lots of great hidden storage space like the frunk and under-floor trunk space that make it a better family hauler.
  • Much better rear leg room.
  • I think the white interior is a really nice place to be--much less Teutonic seriousness than the Audi. Still not sure about the single screen and lack of HUD.
  • Much greener for everyday use.
  • Slightly less steering feel than the Audis but overall better handling. Steering ratio is much quicker than the Audis, which is a personal preference thing but tends to make it feel sportier.
  • Much better sound system than Audi Bose.
  • Much better tech, with rolling upgrades (which Audi will never do).
MYP cons:
  • Total crapshoot on build quality and reliability.
  • Poor service.
  • Higher insurance cost.
  • Limited range--I've only heard one or two people say they get anything like the stated range from the MYP.
  • Inability to spec anything other than the super-heavy 21" uberturbines.
  • Rough ride for a CUV.
  • Louder at speed.
  • Not much ground clearance for a CUV.

• Informative
Appreciate all the comments here, especially as regards an SQ5. That is what my wife drives (2020 model) so I know it well. How do you all feel about driving/dynamics relative to the SQ5? Sounds positive from your comments. Thanks again!
Driving dynamics, I’d say it’s about the same (I’m thinking of cornering / body roll handling). The Y has less body roll due to the awesome low center of gravity but I’ve noticed if I push the Y hard at mid-corner and exit, it sometimes feels like the chassis flexes a tad. I’ll have to do it more when it warms back up next year to give a definitive opinion on this.

I liked the fine napa leather seats in my SQ5 better but it’s not like I hate the seats in the Y nor do I wish I had the seats from the Audi when I’m driving the Y. If I had a choice, yeah I’d pick the Audi seats.

Up until the Y, the SQ5 was the best car I’ve owned...now it’s hands down the Y. Overall, I don’t think you’d miss the Sq5 much or feel the Y is inferior when it comes to driving dynamics.

Sounds like I am in the same boat as a number of you---trying to work the 'math magic' and make the RS6 Avant pencil. Still trying, and still failing! Will be interesting to see what you can get into one for in 2-3 years down the road.

Lionel Hutz, thanks for the detailed comments, and appreciate your insight regarding S5 sportback comparison---I feel the same way about my S4 (favorite car of all time, great travel/touring car etc), but its not perfect. The downshift/spool up to get power/torque is definitely noticeable--more so in my wife's new SQ5 vs my S4 as it is a '15 with the supercharger, not the turbo 3.0. Still, nowhere near the instant torque of the MY.

Tough choice, but I'm leaning towards buying the MY--other issue I am grappling with is tires on the 21" wheels. I run UHP all seasons on my S4 now, and would like a similar option vs dedicated summers and having to switch to another set of wheels in the winter--I am in Kansas City so cooler temps and 7-10 days of snow/ice per year rule out the OEM 21" tires, but it seems there are not yet many all season options.

Again, thanks for all the spot-on comments here, great to get this insight!

Reactions: noshadow
Sounds like I am in the same boat as a number of you---trying to work the 'math magic' and make the RS6 Avant pencil. Still trying, and still failing! Will be interesting to see what you can get into one for in 2-3 years down the road.

Lionel Hutz, thanks for the detailed comments, and appreciate your insight regarding S5 sportback comparison---I feel the same way about my S4 (favorite car of all time, great travel/touring car etc), but its not perfect. The downshift/spool up to get power/torque is definitely noticeable--more so in my wife's new SQ5 vs my S4 as it is a '15 with the supercharger, not the turbo 3.0. Still, nowhere near the instant torque of the MY.

Tough choice, but I'm leaning towards buying the MY--other issue I am grappling with is tires on the 21" wheels. I run UHP all seasons on my S4 now, and would like a similar option vs dedicated summers and having to switch to another set of wheels in the winter--I am in Kansas City so cooler temps and 7-10 days of snow/ice per year rule out the OEM 21" tires, but it seems there are not yet many all season options.

I'm hoping the 21" wheels will have more tire options soon! I don't mind winter wheel swapping, but I think I want to change out the 21" ubers to all seasons just in case at some point.

I agree with you, and the B8 S4 does not have have the same throttle sensitivity problem as the B9 S and RS cars. The DSG in the B8 can get confused every now and then but it is so much more responsive and eager to downshift than in the B9. I also don't remember the B8 hugging low RPMs as much as the B9 does--probably a new fuel econ thing.

I agree with you, and the B8 S4 does not have have the same throttle sensitivity problem as the B9 S and RS cars. The DSG in the B8 can get confused every now and then but it is so much more responsive and eager to downshift than in the B9. I also don't remember the B8 hugging low RPMs as much as the B9 does--probably a new fuel econ thing.

Spot on--night and day between my car and my wife's car--transmission as well as engine. (Also have to laugh as my wife is always claiming her car is faster than mine--don't know that she's ever driven my car in "S" vs "D", not to mention that little issue with weight difference etc!) Interesting comment on the transmission--I recall reading about this change when they launched the B9 update, but never really appreciated it until driving the SQ5. And now, I'd be faced with that issue in the RS5---had not factored this into my considerations, but need to as I much prefer the DSG. Hmmmmm.......

Thanks again Lionel, great insight here!