Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complete blackout - both displays at highway speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happens constantly but I’m out of warranty.
the a/c turning off is the worst part, personally. The embarrassment of being pro-Tesla when weekly occurrences that should make me anti-Tesla get swept under the rug… that might be equally bad. Tesla will figure this stuff out someday. Probably in two weeks.

This happens constantly but I’m out of warranty.
the a/c turning off is the worst part, personally. The embarrassment of being pro-Tesla when weekly occurrences that should make me anti-Tesla get swept under the rug… that might be equally bad. Tesla will figure this stuff out someday. Probably in two weeks.
Unfortunately my wife is not a "sweep it under the rug" person and her pervious luxury car gave her over a decade of nearly trouble free driving. I'm more patient given that it's emerging technology; however, not so much for my wife. Someone once said, "advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" but once the magic fades, you want the stuff to actually work!

Unfortunately my wife is not a "sweep it under the rug" person and her pervious luxury car gave her over a decade of nearly trouble free driving. I'm more patient given that it's emerging technology; however, not so much for my wife. Someone once said, "advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" but once the magic fades, you want the stuff to actually work!
My wife has a Bolt bc I suggested it for her after her i3 was totaled. My mistake!! The Bolt is as finicky as it is unintuitive. In November we had to bring it in for a recall over battery fires. Now there’s another recall for the same issue bc the first time around didn’t work. Whether you’re GM or Tesla, rushing unrefined to market is paid for not by manufacturer but by early adopters.

Hey, new here. I've been lurking but decided to post today since I had both my instrument cluster and infotainment go black for exactly 2 seconds while driving on enhanced auto pilot while I signaled to lane change. When the screens went black, the car was going about 65mph, it immediately let go of the acceleration and the car felt like it was slamming the brakes, so I immediately HIT THE GAS, luckily the car behind us had some distance and slammed the brakes behind us. The car came back online within 2 seconds and it was resuming autopilot and acceleration. This was pretty scary so I booked a SC appointment and included the time stamp of the incident in my message. My 10 month old and wife were in the back seat and would've been rear ended had I not slammed the brakes.

Hey, new here. I've been lurking but decided to post today since I had both my instrument cluster and infotainment go black for exactly 2 seconds while driving on enhanced auto pilot while I signaled to lane change. When the screens went black, the car was going about 65mph, it immediately let go of the acceleration and the car felt like it was slamming the brakes, so I immediately HIT THE GAS, luckily the car behind us had some distance and slammed the brakes behind us. The car came back online within 2 seconds and it was resuming autopilot and acceleration. This was pretty scary so I booked a SC appointment and included the time stamp of the incident in my message. My 10 month old and wife were in the back seat and would've been rear ended had I not slammed the brakes.
Just to add:
2018 Model S
Enhanced Auto Pilot
MCU1
HW 2.5

Right after something bad happens, do a voice command of “bug report” and then log a ticket in the app stating you sent a bug report.

with MCU1, the displays are separate computers. Surprised both went out at the same time.

It happened two times since upgrading to MCU2 this spring but after few updates and sitting at 2021.24.5 right now It didn’t come back yet. Hopefully it was software bug that was fixed. Oh 16 S 75 AP1.
This happened this morning on my 2017 S while driving, and is the 2nd time it’s happened since the car’s MCU2 / FSD chip update 4 or 5 months ago. The first time it happened, I called Tesla Roadside Assistance, who noticed a log entry reporting a full USB (SANS) disk that I’m using for dash cam & Sentry Mode videos. Tesla Roadside Assistance chalked up the blank screens to that. This morning’s (second) instance can’t be blamed on a full SANS disk—I just cleared the disk of all files a few days ago; so, this problem is ongoing, at least through 2021.32.22