Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Complete shut down of computer system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experience the total shut down of their computer system while driving? I lost absolutely everything with the exception of acceleration and breaking. Not only was the information on the dash locked up but I lost use of my blinkers, maps, radio...everything. I was able to pull off of the highway and after about thirty minutes I was able to reach a friend who told me to hold down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel to reboot. I noticed a problem similar to this one discussed on an earlier thread but this issue was slightly different in that everything froze and I had to manually shut it all down.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Has anyone experience the total shut down of their computer system while driving? I lost absolutely everything with the exception of acceleration and breaking. Not only was the information on the dash locked up but I lost use of my blinkers, maps, radio...everything. I was able to pull off of the highway and after about thirty minutes I was able to reach a friend who told me to hold down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel to reboot. I noticed a problem similar to this one discussed on an earlier thread but this issue was slightly different in that everything froze and I had to manually shut it all down.

Totally normal, and expected. Sometimes you just have to reboot, as you did.

Tesla software crashes more often than their cars do. Which is a good thing, right?!

p.s. although you couldn't hear your signals, they were blinking on the outside of the car.

Reactions: outdoors
You didn't lose the computer system, you lost the display computer. The car should still be doing a lot of things, including self-driving. It's just the display and audio that you've lost. It's a normal abnormality.

While it nay seems scary, the car is still happy. You can do the two button reset while driving.
It’s good to know that the reset can be done while driving. Thanks for the info!

Would say this is more "not unusual" than "common".

When it happens to a driver the first time - it can be unsettling.

Losing the MCU (or the dashboard processor for S/X) should allow the vehicle to continue operating under manual control.

However, it's unclear what happens when the vehicle is operating under NOAP - when the MCU may be responsible for relaying driving directions based on the navigation route.

Tesla should continue to make improvements in the development and testing methodologies to reduce the frequency of software crashes - especially now that they're moving away from the early adopter community that accepted these problems and getting increasingly more customers who just want their Tesla vehicles to work reliably.

I have a brand new 2021 Model 3 and it's shut down on me at least 3 times (in addition to frozen screens and electrical interference between sound, phone, app interface) during the last 5 months. Have the car towed, the "brains" replaced and it still shuts down in the middle of the street. This is not okay and unsafe, especially since I'm the caretaker for my 90 year old parents and have to drive them everywhere.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
I have a brand new 2021 Model 3 and it's shut down on me at least 3 times (in addition to frozen screens and electrical interference between sound, phone, app interface) during the last 5 months. Have the car towed, the "brains" replaced and it still shuts down in the middle of the street. This is not okay and unsafe, especially since I'm the caretaker for my 90 year old parents and have to drive them everywhere.
Unfortunately, a Tesla vehicle doesn't suit your requirement. Reliability, dependability, and predictability are not Tesla's strong points.