Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concealed Radar Detector - location ideas for control/display unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a concealed radar detector in their X? I'm considering the Radenso RC M. In my last 2017 X, I ran a Uniden r7 with a blend mount and it was clean, but I'm hoping to keep my new 2022 X for a while so I'd like to do a concealed install.

I'm wondering if there's any space behind the white trim to install the display/control unit. It's not very thick so with some custom work, it might fit.

Any other places that would work well?

1642839829965.png

Not unless you want to cut into the actual dash.
I am willing to cut into the dash but thought that spot had a small isolated piece that could be easily replaceable in case it got messed up. I now realize that it’s a single piece that goes across to the passenger side. So it’s not a good option. Also, the angle of the dash piece is slanted down so it wouldn’t look great.

I'm going to follow this for my valentine V1 gen1 as I do not plan to use the concealed module. Seems simple enough and will sit under the rear view mirror to mute easily:

Install Video:

Mirror Taps:

Radar V1 mirror mount:

The cheap generic mirror mount you linked will fit a model x? Any certain years only, as I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit the palladium refresh models?

I'm going to follow this for my valentine V1 gen1 as I do not plan to use the concealed module. Seems simple enough and will sit under the rear view mirror to mute easily:

Install Video:

Mirror Taps:

Radar V1 mirror mount:
I live in Virginia where radar detectors are (kinda) illegal so I have always gone the concealed route.

I say "kinda" illegal because if you get caught with one it's only a $75 ticket and no points, so way cheaper than an actual speeding ticket.

Reactions: SunnySideUp
did you decide if that mirror mount was going to work?
yea i looked at how much space was behind the mirror and compared it to the bracket that came with the mount, it looks thin enough to fit just right. I don't think mounting will be an issue but will not know until i give it a shot. If it doesn't, I'm sure I can alter the small black plastic piece in a way to get it to fit. I will post pics later today once the tech leaves. I also have a mobile wheel guy scheduled during the same time to put on my new 22" wheels and tires.

Reactions: ZuleMYP
So I tried to install the mirror tap wires as stated in the video, however, the green and black wire is not present, only the black and read wire. If you go to 8:49 in the video, you will see the green and black wire that is not in my model X. Even the green board is different in my car. Seems like the front facing cameras have been updated or changed for September builds and forward. I tried to use the red and black wires but it did not work. I did not try the radar mount as I will not be using it since this method did not work. Back to the drawing board.

Attachments

• IMG_5652.jpeg
    IMG_5652.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: everydaychris
So I tried to install the mirror tap wires as stated in the video, however, the green and black wire is not present, only the black and read wire. If you go to 8:49 in the video, you will see the green and black wire that is not in my model X. Even the green board is different in my car. Seems like the front facing cameras have been updated or changed for September builds and forward. I tried to use the red and black wires but it did not work. I did not try the radar mount as I will not be using it since this method did not work. Back to the drawing board.
Argh - that's frustrating that they removed the harness. Thanks for the update.

@SunnySideUp - Did you try removing that big antenna board to see whats under it? Looks like that is new but right where the needed wires used to be. We can see in your pic a wire harness going under that...
I did not try to pull the board out as the wires at the bottom are just routed to the right side. There is seems to be no wire connector under the board. I gave up as i already had to have the cabin camera replaced since it never worked from when we picked it up so i did not want to mess with it anymore and risk something else breaking.

Alright folks, UPDATE: I have the radar installed using the cheap radar mount from amazon and the mount works! No need to spend hundreds on the blend mount. I did not use the mirror tap method as it is not going to work for my model. I used the following post for the wiring and running the cables, its not hard at all. It is spliced into the cig port wires in the center console. The radar turns on and off as it should. I used the provided power wire and hardwire kit that came with my Valentine One Gen 1 radar. I used these as I was in a hurry to get this installed and did not want to wait on the 15FT RJ11 cable. The radar is not visible from the exterior for my setup as the windsheild is tinted 50%.

Radar Wiring Post:

Radar Mirror Mount i used priced at $32.99:

Attachments

• IMG_5828.jpg
    IMG_5828.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5829.jpg
    IMG_5829.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5830.jpg
    IMG_5830.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 41