Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlendMount Radar detector mount for Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just an update... i went ahead and ordered a Blendmount BMG-2035 just to test out since it is also was fitted for a Tesla. Good news, it fit perfect and works fine! Problem solved! 2023 Model S LR.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Reactions: DrBodie
I have a Uniden R7 that I permanently installed using an adhesive bracket off ebay (~$10). After trying a lot of different mount options in various vehicles, I find this is the cheapest and simplest option. The radar detector also shakes a lot less while driving and hitting bumps mounted like this.

The 2012-2020 Model S owner's manual also mentions:

Model S has a metallic coating on the windshield that can interfere with signals sent from RFID transponders used by many toll systems. Most Model S vehicles, depending on date of manufacture, include an area in the windshield in which the metallic coating is cut out to accommodate transponders. This area, located on the right side of the rear view mirror, is the best location to mount a transponder.

I have no idea if this has an effect on the radar detector but I decided that this was a good spot to mount it anyway so it wouldn't be in my direct line of vision while driving.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 1.11.37 PM.png

66B42729-6728-46E2-A516-F15CEE11576F_1_105_c.jpeg
7C0737FA-FB96-4E6A-ABA5-D626BE3F425B_1_105_c.jpeg

I have a Uniden R7 that I permanently installed using an adhesive bracket off ebay (~$10). After trying a lot of different mount options in various vehicles, I find this is the cheapest and simplest option. The radar detector also shakes a lot less while driving and hitting bumps mounted like this.

I have no idea if this has an effect on the radar detector but I decided that this was a good spot to mount it anyway so it wouldn't be in my direct line of vision while driving.

View attachment 920210

View attachment 920208View attachment 920209
Wow, very clean install !!! Mine looks like crap since I did it myself.

I also have a dashcam drawing power from the microphone area. I had to get rid of my V1G2 because most of the LEOs in the area where I drive predominately use LIDAR. And my state's toll vendor was bitching about me not using my Toll pass transponder and will bump me up to a higher toll rate because they have to use their cameras to identify my car instead of toll pass transponder. Well, I can't have my transponder and radar detector using/sharing the same tiny window on my windshield. Now, that the V1G2 is gone, no problem but does suck with this solarized windshield for our year model in case I move someplace South that I don't need my toll pass transponder anymore and the LEOs still use radar. (I was hoping to keep my 2016 Model S until it dies).

Hello... thanks for writing your post about trying to fit a Blendmount to your 2018 Tesla S. I also have a 2016 Tesla S manufactured later in 2018 and does have the square shaped mounting arm, rather than the rounded one you have. I also have the same Uniden Radar detector you have. When you ordered the unit you mentioned in your post, were you anticipating it would be a round mount and not a square mount? I wanted to order the same model, BR7-2035 you ordered but wasn't sure if you ordered knowing ahead of time it was for a rounded arm. Like you, I can probably live with the issue of the taper and try to resolve it using the tips you suggested, but I am not sure if there is a different model for the square-shaped arm. Thanks for any insight you might have.

View attachment 920210

View attachment 920208View attachment 920209
Can you post link for this? All of the ones I am finding when searching are the suction cup type and not this sticker type

Reactions: #17Midfielder
Did you ever get a Blendmount, if so which model worked for you? Thanks
I DID go to BlenMount. They not only said no, but they basically told me they are not trying any longer to develop one for that model. So I removed my Redline 360c from my 2021 GMC Denali Truck. I took it to the shop to have it installed and I took the dreaded suction cups. They made NO MODIFICATIONS and mounted the BlendMount from my Denali and it works great. Granted, the mirror flexibility is restricted, but unless you are super tall (I am 6'3") or super, super short, you should be fine. It works great. Sorry the photo quality is bad, I was driving at night.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: TessP100D
I put my V1 here and ran a 12ft power cable to the ACC port in the console.You can fold the sunvisor over it if you do get pulled over so the LEO doesn't see it.
Later my car stereo guy hooked it to a switched positive when he hooked up my aftermarket stereo.

Reactions: siamnet
I put my V1 here and ran a 12ft power cable to the ACC port in the console.You can fold the sunvisor over it if you do get pulled over so the LEO doesn't see it.
Later my car stereo guy hooked it to a switched positive when he hooked up my aftermarket stereo.

It is nice that the new windshield is not solarized for newer MS but unfortunately for my old MS, it is. I called glass shops to see if they can retrofit a new and non-solarized windshield onto my 2016 and they said no.

It is nice that the new windshield is not solarized for newer MS but unfortunately for my old MS, it is. I called glass shops to see if they can retrofit a new and non-solarized windshield onto my 2016 and they said no.
I read somewhere that there is a non solarized spot next to the mirror on the right.
There has to be a place to put a toll transponder like EZ Pass.
You can test it by going to a gas station that has radar equipped doors like this one down the street from me.
Tesla MS Plaid

My BMW iX M60 EV SUV

Damn I wish I could use that. But nooooo ****ing Tesla and that stupid metallic coating in the windshield makes ALL radar and toll stuff not work from the inside. I got an external mount whistler that I installed behind the nosecone that works, but not as good as a Valentine 1

Damn I wish I could use that. But nooooo ****ing Tesla and that stupid metallic coating in the windshield makes ALL radar and toll stuff not work from the inside. I got an external mount whistler that I installed behind the nosecone that works, but not as good as a Valentine

Using RFID Transponders Most Model S vehicles, depending on date of manufacture, include an area in the windshield in which the metallic coating is cut out to accommodate transponders. This area, located on the right side of the rear view mirror, is the best location to mount a transponder.

Using RFID Transponders Most Model S vehicles, depending on date of manufacture, include an area in the windshield in which the metallic coating is cut out to accommodate transponders. This area, located on the right side of the rear view mirror, is the best location to mount a transponder.
Nope there is no spot, believe me I tried a thousand times to get any signal through there before I spent the time and money on a new detector. The whole windshield is coated with that *sugar*. I think it's because I have the heated windshield or just my specific model but yeah I've asked at Tesla when I got a new windshield for cracks and they said I can't change the glass for a different model, and this one has no uncoated spot

Nope there is no spot, believe me I tried a thousand times to get any signal through there before I spent the time and money on a new detector. The whole windshield is coated with that *sugar*. I think it's because I have the heated windshield or just my specific model but yeah I've asked at Tesla when I got a new windshield for cracks and they said I can't change the glass for a different model, and this one has no uncoated spot
The only way to know if the windshields are the same is to have both and lay one over the other.

This is where mine is for a pre-face lift 2016: ( my own post from a radar detector forum)

1704803698344.png

I used to have a V1G2 at that same location (using a GoPRO mounting arm) but then have to keep swapping out between that the EZ Pass. Plus, I got dinged in Ontario by the Ontario highway patrol using LIDAR last year and decided to sell the V1G2 since it's useless in Ontario.

I don't think I will spend the money to get ALPs laser jammer for my car since I feel like whenever my car fully dies (battery/motor will be out of warranty this Sept 2024), I'm just going to get rid of it.

This is where mine is for a pre-face lift 2016: ( my own post from a radar detector forum)

View attachment 1007330

I used to have a V1G2 at that same location (using a GoPRO mounting arm) but then have to keep swapping out between that the EZ Pass. Plus, I got dinged in Ontario by the Ontario highway patrol using LIDAR last year and decided to sell the V1G2 since it's useless in Ontario.

I don't think I will spend the money to get ALPs laser jammer for my car since I feel like whenever my car fully dies (battery/motor will be out of warranty this Sept 2024), I'm just going to get rid of it.
Yes however Lidar can only be used like a gun in a stationary police car or an LEO standing on a bridge radioing hid buddies but here in NY there's a lot of rolling radar that can get you coming or going on 2 lane highways and country roads.
Cops are lazy and having to aim a gun interferes with eating their donuts and coffee :D while the rolling radar is on all the time and works in a stationary position as well.
It doesn't work using Lidar in a rolling vehicle.
The V1 G2 is also said to be undetectable by Spectre, the radar detector detector.
Ontario sucks for speeding especially with the Stunt Driving laws of 50 km over in an 80 km and up zone and 40 km over in an to 70 km zone.
Here in NY if I get a speeding ticket I have an attorney that will turn it into a no points parking ticket.
He used to be a town prosecutor and knows all the current ones.
Traffic tickets are handled locally in America.
The towns all want their money in exchange for a reduced non point plea.
You can go to court and plead it down yourself but if you hire an attorney he does it all by mail and there's no Traffic School to have to go to.
You have to pay the parking ticket with a money order or there's even an online site to pay traffic tickets.
The attorney's fee is about 350.00 so 500.00 total.
I had a ticket for 107 mph in a 65 42 miles over or 65 km over and he pleaded it down to 2 200.00 parking tickets and charged me 500.00
for a total cost of 900.00.
Compare that to the Stunt Driving charge where they seize your car for 2 weeks and suspend your license for 30 days and fine you up to 10k.
Money talks in America.

Yes however Lidar can only be used like a gun in a stationary police car or an LEO standing on a bridge radioing hid buddies but here in NY there's a lot of rolling radar that can get you coming or going on 2 lane highways and country roads.
Cops are lazy and having to aim a gun interferes with eating their donuts and coffee :D while the rolling radar is on all the time and works in a stationary position as well.
It doesn't work using Lidar in a rolling vehicle.
The V1 G2 is also said to be undetectable by Spectre, the radar detector detector.
Ontario sucks for speeding especially with the Stunt Driving laws of 50 km over in an 80 km and up zone and 40 km over in an to 70 km zone.
Here in NY if I get a speeding ticket I have an attorney that will turn it into a no points parking ticket.
He used to be a town prosecutor and knows all the current ones.
Traffic tickets are handled locally in America.
The towns all want their money in exchange for a reduced non point plea.
You can go to court and plead it down yourself but if you hire an attorney he does it all by mail and there's no Traffic School to have to go to.
You have to pay the parking ticket with a money order or there's even an online site to pay traffic tickets.
The attorney's fee is about 350.00 so 500.00 total.
I had a ticket for 107 mph in a 65 42 miles over or 65 km over and he pleaded it down to 2 200.00 parking tickets and charged me 500.00
for a total cost of 900.00.
Compare that to the Stunt Driving charge where they seize your car for 2 weeks and suspend your license for 30 days and fine you up to 10k.
Money talks in America.

Agreed about having a good attorney in the US. In 2019, I got a speeding ticket in a rental truck doing 65 mph on I-990 (going to Amherst). My coworker's girlfriend is a partner at one of the prominent law firm in downtown Buffalo. She was able to "convert" my speeding ticket into a $100 parking ticket (zero points). I took both of them out to dinner. LOL.

However, I'm about to find out how the speeding ticket system works in Ontario since I scheduled for a preliminary meeting with the Crown prosecutor (City of Hamilton) this March for my speeding ticket. The ticket cost is only 50 CAD but I'm worried about the points on my driver license since I don't have much of a driving history in Ontario (my 40+ year of driving history in the US doesn't matter) when I got my license last year so my insurance premium is a bit high (well higher than what I'm used to paying in NY). I would gladly pay a few more to convert that speeding ticket into a parking ticket like US. Probably doesn't work that way in Ontario.

I barely speed when in back in Buffalo but you're right most of LEOs in Western NY still use a radar gun. If I ever plan on moving back down South (Georgia), the cops there use LIDAR (DragonEye) a lot on the highway.

Agreed about having a good attorney in the US. In 2019, I got a speeding ticket in a rental truck doing 65 mph on I-990 (going to Amherst). My coworker's girlfriend is a partner at one of the prominent law firm in downtown Buffalo. She was able to "convert" my speeding ticket into a $100 parking ticket (zero points). I took both of them out to dinner. LOL.

However, I'm about to find out how the speeding ticket system works in Ontario since I scheduled for a preliminary meeting with the Crown prosecutor (City of Hamilton) this March for my speeding ticket. The ticket cost is only 50 CAD but I'm worried about the points on my driver license since I don't have much of a driving history in Ontario (my 40+ year of driving history in the US doesn't matter) when I got my license last year so my insurance premium is a bit high (well higher than what I'm used to paying in NY). I would gladly pay a few more to convert that speeding ticket into a parking ticket like US. Probably doesn't work that way in Ontario.

I barely speed when in back in Buffalo but you're right most of LEOs in Western NY still use a radar gun. If I ever plan on moving back down South (Georgia), the cops there use LIDAR (DragonEye) a lot on the highway.
I moved permanently to the US in 1998 but as I recall in Ontario they will let you plead down a points ticket to a no point 15km over.
However that still shows up on your driving record as a moving violation unlike the US parking ticket plea that doesn't.
In Buffalo itself they let you plead to a Jaywalking ticket which I find amusing 🙃