Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in tail lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new Tesla RWD from the Chatswood showroom on Wednesday and once home noticed a fair bit of condensation in both the rear tail lights. I haven’t had the car in any rain yet. Should I be concerned? Is this something to raise a service request for, or is it normal? Thank you. New owner.

I would log a service request. Condensation inside is no good for the fitting. The more people who complain, the more chance it will be properly fixed. I've owned many vehicles over a 57yr period and NEVER had this behavior. I understand that a number of people with Teslas have had the problem. I would not accept "that's normal" from the service people!

I would log a service request. Condensation inside is no good for the fitting. The more people who complain, the more chance it will be properly fixed. I've owned many vehicles over a 57yr period and NEVER had this behavior. I understand that a number of people with Teslas have had the problem. I would not accept "that's normal" from the service people!
I’ve had this several times from several brands. Should be gone in a couple of weeks.

Log anything unusual in, your case is not USUAL, there isn't meant to be condensation when there isn't even rain.

Inspect the whole car as much as you can, I've recently had Tesla try and pull bullshit tactics related to "it's been xx days since you picked up, it's not us it's you".

After 8000 miles I got this condensation on the rear tail light after heavy rains the past week. Been 5 days and hasn’t gone away.

Uploaded the pics through Tesla service app and they approved the same day to replace it free under basic warranty with their mobile service. I’m impressed.

Pics are from different days.

CBB5CB79-C76E-41D9-A746-70F52C60DA78.jpeg

Attachments

• 8BB69727-0610-4760-84FC-C07994DA2673.jpeg
    8BB69727-0610-4760-84FC-C07994DA2673.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 170
It happens a lot. Log a service request, attach photos, and get mobile service on it. They'll probably dither for a while until they can get replacement taillight modules for you. I had one replaced two years ago soon after I collected the car. It's not that big a deal for them to fix. Though it'd be better if they'd just drill a better ventilation hole than replace the entire module unnecessarily.

Reactions: Floydsox
The rule they seem to work to is if the condensation turns to water droplets it’s time to replace and the left edge in that picture is clearly droplets. Most light units from many makes get some condensation misting and that in itself isn’t anything to worry about.

Condensation is still there after over a week. Hasn’t rained since and has been very hot and humid.

Tesla said they’ll replace under the basic warranty free of charge. They did push it a week because they are waiting for the part.

Did they come to your place? Or did you have to go to the service centre?
I’m trying to log a service request for this through the app but it only gives me options to pick a service centre in Sydney, as I am in Newcastle, these locations are not really that suitable
Select any Service Centre location to log the request and put in the comments that the car is in Newcastle. They normally try to do the service remotely over the air so somebody will check your request and respond accordingly.

Tail lights seem to generally be of the most poor quality parts on a Tesla. The injection moulding dags and marks are seriously bad, and the sharp edges around the perimeter are terrible. Poor die making by whomever the manufacturer is. Then along with that, these common problems with water ingress.

Purley on an astetic front, there is way too much "clear" in them and I still think the indicator sections are way too small even in the lastest revision.