Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuring your Tesla for a show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I occasionally attend EV events, bringing along my Tesla for people to look at, sit in,
and occasionally I take them for rides. I've never let anyone else drive it yet.

There's always concerns doing this - will anyone "accidentally" put it in drive,
children opening and shutting the FWDs into crowds (its an MX), people stealing my charging cables etc.
To date I've never had an issue.

I think the new feature "PIN to Drive" is really good as it allows me a level of assurance that the
car won't move when others are in it.

Are there any other preparatory actions others take when attending these types of events?
(Other than cleaning it).

Thanks!

@Tam - CCS type 2 (combo Mennekes) and Chademo are the main fast charging connectors here, and (as in Australia and Europe) the Tesla cars and superchargers all use Mennekes (normal, not combo). I could leave my Mennekes to Chademo connector plugged in. Be nice if it locked in place.

It's a good idea, and could act as a backup for PIN to drive.

...locked...

Thanks for the explanations on New Zealand adapters.

Another idea is: Keep your fob in a Faraday Cage.

I haven't bought any so I am not sure which brand is effective.

Make sure that cage is good enough to prevent fob signal from escaping out.

I put my fob in a used tin can but that's not enough. I have to additionally get aluminum foil and fold it many folds and put the fob inside both the foil and the can and it does the job.

@Tam That faraday cage would be really useful as a place to leave your keys
in the evening - given all the instances of key relays being used to steal cars.

If use a cage at the event, I'd have to remember to turn off walk-away locking of the doors.

It's called a "cage" but commercially, they look just like a normal and soft fob cover. Some may be as big as a credit card size.

91w8ZtyhePL._SL1500_.jpg

Without the cage, the signal still communicates with your car and if you are close enough, a driver can start and drive your car off even when you are not inside of the car.

With the cage, there's no signal escaping out to communicate with your car so even when you are in the car, the car won't start.

Another advantage for the cage is avoiding accidental activations of the doors.

Without the cage, if I put my fob in my pant's pocket and lean on table or something, it might activate doors, trunks... which might accidentally hit someone.

Again, some cages are small enough so before you leave for the event, you start your car, then place your fob in the cage and put the cage in your pocket.

The car still drives until you arrive at the event and as soon as you get off the driver seat, that car won't start and the doors won't be accidentally activated because of the cage.