Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused with new "scheduled charging"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been asked before but I don't seem to be able to find it........

with the new software released last week, it appears to me I have lost the ability schedule a "start" time to charge......on my screen, I have lost the box that allowed me to set the start time for charging to commence......instead, I have a box that let me set a scheduled time to be charged and pre-conditioned by a certain time.....so I put in 4:00pm so it stops charging at 4:00pm.....

here's my dilemma.......because I am on a program that has the highest rates between 4:00pm and 9:00pm, I want to start charging at 9:00pm and let it go until it reached the desired percentage.....what happens now is that when I plug in, no matter what time of the day, it starts charging as soon as I plug in.......so if I plug in at 6:00pm when I get home, during high rate period, it start then and does not wait until 9:00pm..........

some quest is 2-fold........(1) if I schedule departure for 8:00am, and plug in at 6:00pm when I get home, when will the car start charging? (2) will it start when I plug in or figure out how long it will take to charge and wait start so it will be at desired percentage by 8:00am..........

I just want to be able to plug in and not worry about charging during the 4-9 pm time period.....I hope I made this clear and thanks for any help understanding the new charger sequence

Tiny link at the bottom of the same menu for setting the "depart at" time will take you to the "start charging at" time setting. They are mutually exclusive (you can only choose one or the other [or neither], but not both).

The issues with the "depart at" settings boil down to setting the off-peak times to something (anything) that ends after your desired depart-at time. Discussed here: Problem with “Depart at” charging

Poor implementation.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Departure scheduling works reliably for me. My off-peak ends at 6am and I set it to be ready to leave at 8am. I plug in about 6pm and charging starts on its own, whether it’s 1am or 4am, and completes by 559am, then starts preconditioning at 740am or so.

When I adjust off-peak to end at 830am, but still have car ready to leave at 8am, then charging starts on its own in the middle of the night and completes charging by 730-740am and switches over to cabin precondition to be ready by 8am.

I just didn’t expect it to finish charging 20-30 minutes early and THEN start preconditioning cabin. I assumed charging and cabin precondition occurred simultaneously, but it’s fine how it has been working.

Tiny link at the bottom of the same menu for setting the "depart at" time will take you to the "start charging at" time setting. They are mutually exclusive (you can only choose one or the other [or neither], but not both).

The issues with the "depart at" settings boil down to setting the off-peak times to something (anything) that ends after your desired depart-at time. Discussed here: Problem with “Depart at” charging

Poor implementation.
thank you very much....I was able to finely see it at the bottom and was able to see wha I needed to do.....I set both cars to start at 9:00pm....thats the cheapest rate for us and cars are completed charged to 80% or 90%......now I just plug in when I get home or arrive and it does its own thing......thanks again

Reactions: David29 and drklain
The prior charging screen needed improvement--it was a bit strange. The revision--referenced in above posts--is insane/stupid. While it IS POSSIBLE to change a scheduled charging start time, you cannot get there directly. You have to set a time for charging to complete--in fact, the time you want it to start-- in the departure time option, then change to the scheduled start time option. Duh. This, and some other Tesla software "updates" make me wonder if anyone who actually uses the car tests such software updates.