Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confusion on DashCam & Sentry mode.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i bought the Tesla recommended SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.1 flash. Today after a week of driving I got a message that a video file could not be written because the transfer speed of the usb is too slow. (nonsense). So I plugged the USB into my computer to see what was there and in the TeslaCam folder there were 3 sub folders. The one called recent clips had 3 videos, two of which were corrupted. The next folder called Saved Clips had 3 days worth of sub folders labeled with the date and those were all full of videos of just pulling in and out of the garage! The last folder labeled sentry mode actually had sentry video from various stops I made and turned on sentry mode so it appears to be working. Any ideas why I got that message today about cant write or why some videos were corrupted files? Also I expected the recent clips to have dash cam video of me driving around town but it only has me going in and out of the garage?

Did you get any Tesla software update? Which version do you have?
Did you get the FSD 3.0 update? The videos uses a different format, should be compatible.
May be try to reformat the USB.

Note: I believe that the Sentry mode doesn't start recording immediately after starting driving.
Is there a step when moving out of your garage? This might creates a little shock triggering the recording.
It saves only the last 10 minutes from an incident or when you use the horn to activate it.
It's why you might miss some recording?

This site provides good general info about the TeslaCam
Reliable TeslaCam/Sentry Drive on iPhone, Android, Mac and Windows | LivingTesla

I will try but the usb I am using is the one Tesla recommends in the owner’s manual
I know what you mean, but obviously it's not working out since you got the error message and it doesn't exclude the fact that usb drives isn't meant for dashcam use. If you haven't yet, read the article watts_up linked. Very informative. From my personal experience with my previous model S, usb card was giving me a lot of issues, but the high endurance card didn't. Last thing you want is not being able to pull the footage after an accident or hit and run.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Hey -- silly question from someone who doesn't have the car yet. Where do you put the SSD? Is there an obvious place for it to stay in the car?

I have it sit inside the compartment just below the USB port. See pic, and time 4:40 on the video.

Screenshot_20200329-072114_YouTube.jpg

For Model 3, the is aftermarket "box" that creates a false wall/compartment to hide the drive, etc but no version for Y as of yet, noting that there is one USB C and USB A on the Y vs 3 (both USB A) in case you are tempted to buy the 3 version.

Google Image Result for https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/11/Jeda-Hub-for-Tesla-Model-3-Review-Installed-with-SSD.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

Can someone please explain what the Jeda is and also how come the usb sticks aren’t in the locked glovebox? Couldn’t someone who knows you have sentry mode and breaks in just steal the USB? Thanks

Watch the Jeda Hub review, it should answer some of your questions.

In summary, it hides you drives and provides extra USB ports while you use the existing USB for charging and video recording.

Last edited:
Reactions: Electric Steve
I had issues initially but was able to fix it in case it helps others.

I am using the Samsung endurance micro SD card and the tiny SanDisk USB reader recommended a lot by others. I formatted it to fat32 and just had the TeslaCam folder in there but the car wouldn't recognize it. Turns out your not supposed to label the drive itself? Once I cleared the name of the drive and formatted it again then it works well.