Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confusion on DashCam & Sentry mode.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had issues initially but was able to fix it in case it helps others.

I am using the Samsung endurance micro SD card and the tiny SanDisk USB reader recommended a lot by others. I formatted it to fat32 and just had the TeslaCam folder in there but the car wouldn't recognize it. Turns out your not supposed to label the drive itself? Once I cleared the name of the drive and formatted it again then it works well.

Some drives or USB sticks will work with a name, some will not. For ease, reformat your media and don't name it. Once you do that, create a folder named TeslaCam (written just like that) and don't add anything else. Then go jack it in, hit your Sentry and Dashcam. Get some feed on there, and then disable them, pull the drive or stick and check it. Hope that works. Good luck!

SS

Some drives or USB sticks will work with a name, some will not. For ease, reformat your media and don't name it. Once you do that, create a folder named TeslaCam (written just like that) and don't add anything else. Then go jack it in, hit your Sentry and Dashcam. Get some feed on there, and then disable them, pull the drive or stick and check it. Hope that works. Good luck!

SS

It has not recorded anything and I don’t have the dash cam on the screen. I just got the car and I haven’t gotten it to work. I have a usb 3.0 portable memory card reader adapter for micro sd card and the high endurance card. I don’t know anything g about this stuff so I just copied what some other had said but not working for me.

I am using this card:
Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this reader:
SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader - SDDR-B531-GN6NN
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5JV2B5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are you using windows to format? You can't use the native formating tool in windows as it does not do the fat32 format. It needs to be fat32 as we are running old software on the Model Y right now and exfat or other formats may not be supported. This is most likely your issue if I were to guess.

For windows you want to use guiformat downloaded here:
Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

Make sure you pick the right drive and you don't accidently format the wrong drive. Make sure the white box under "volume label" is blank. You can keep quick format checked and leave the allocation unit size alone. After you format it, open the drive, create a new folder and name it exactly TeslaCam

Make sure there is no spaces and the T and C are capitalised. Then that is it. Don't do anything else to it or put anything else in it. Eject it from your computer and plug it into the USB A slot under the Tesla screen. Then you need to go into your options and enable sentry mode.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown
I am using this card:
Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this reader:
SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader - SDDR-B531-GN6NN
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5JV2B5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are you using windows to format? You can't use the native formating tool in windows as it does not do the fat32 format. It needs to be fat32 as we are running old software on the Model Y right now and exfat or other formats may not be supported. This is most likely your issue if I were to guess.

For windows you want to use guiformat downloaded here:
Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

Make sure you pick the right drive and you don't accidently format the wrong drive. Make sure the white box under "volume label" is blank. You can keep quick format checked and leave the allocation unit size alone. After you format it, open the drive, create a new folder and name it exactly TeslaCam

Make sure there is no spaces and the T and C are capitalised. Then that is it. Don't do anything else to it or put anything else in it. Eject it from your computer and plug it into the USB A slot under the Tesla screen. Then you need to go into your options and enable sentry mode.

OMG yeahdave you are a life saver. I'm a little IT challenged and had been looking for some formatting instructions for my Samsung T5 SSD all weekend. After reading what you provided for my windows PC it absolutely worked!