Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connect Inverter WiFi to Gateway WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely not but can the Gateway act as a router if I connect my inverter?

The solar stuff is many walls and a two car garage away from my wireless router with very weak signal. I changed to fiber and the eero

Likely not but can the Gateway act as a mini router if I connect my inverter WiFi to the Gateway WiFi?

The solar stuff is many walls and a two car garage away from my wireless router with very weak signal. I changed to fiber and the supplied eero router seems weaker than my Airport Extreme was. The installer and my subsequent attempts to use the Airport failed. The Gateway lost comm every few days.

When I designed the house in 1998 I called for two CAT5e and two RJ6 to run from the service PoE [west side] to my electronics hub with one RJ6 running on another 50' for the cable modem in my office [east side]. The fiber modem uses one CAT5e and I hooked the spare CAT5e to the Gateway for nice dependable comm.

Couple months later I tried to connect to the inverter web site and found I had not changed it to the new router. It has only lost comm once in the weeks since so seems to have a stronger WiFi. I do have a new router on order but I could hard wire the inverter to a switch and share the Gateway wire.

Would be easier if the Gateway and inverter could play nice. If not I have to take the bottom panel of the inverter off to get to the LAN port and playing around wires and such scares me.

Upvote 0
Likely not but can the Gateway act as a mini router if I connect my inverter WiFi to the Gateway WiFi?
No, the Gateway is not a general purpose home router. You would be piggybacking on Tesla’s cellular modem. They would not want to pay for your non-Tesla traffic.
Would be easier if the Gateway and inverter could play nice. If not I have to take the bottom panel of the inverter off to get to the LAN port and playing around wires and such scares me.
Sorry, no shortcuts. Wired LAN is always better. Be sure to use shielded Cat5e / Cat6 STP and proper grounding terminations.

I had my 2 Enphase and Powerwall Gateways hardwired for networking. I offered spare spools of Cat5e UTP to the installers (wired networking was above and beyond the order, but they were going to sneak it in). But they said code required shielded networking due to proximity to all that high voltage power. So, they used their own STP Cat5e.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Didn't expect it would act as a router but thought it was worth an ask. Not issue here but I'm in a dead cell area and my Gateway has G3 cell so no cost to Tesla. Something I noticed since the drop outs seemed to like 0300 and the app showed the loss of data on the Powerwall state energy page. After reconnecting there would be a straight line from last data to reestablished time. During the day it backfilled the missing data so guess the unit has some storage. Now if I could just hook up another 2kWh storage I could get through the night and not have to buy any $0.40/kWh power from MECO.

I will date myself severely but I graduated from San Jose State College a year before they a year before they made it a University.

Upvote 0