Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connection issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I've been having some connection issues since yesterday and was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar.

I first noticed it on the way home from a doctor's appointment yesterday, when the display showed that it couldn't get traffic data for the route. This was in spite of the display showing full LTE signal.

When I got home and plugged in I found I couldn't connect to the car from the app. This morning, I had notifications of starting and finishing charging, but still couldn't connect in the app.

I rebooted the display from in the car (and set the heaters on) a short while before I needed to set off. I still couldn't connect from the app, but the route did pick up traffic data on my way to work. The app also connected just after I had parked up, but is now back to not being able to.

So, had anyone experienced this and/or knows anything about it?

Thanks in advance

Yes I have too the past couple of days. Seems to be radio stations only (Spotify working). I found as a workaround I could get some of my favourites through Tunein. Have not contacted service centre yet. Haven’t been in car today yet to see if it’s working again.

Update

This issue went away after the latest update, but has now come back again a couple of weeks ago. (Note this is nothing like the radio issue mentioned by "freekie" above, this is mobile network comms)

In spite of having full LTE signal, 90% of the time the map shows "without traffic data", and I'm unable to use Spotify. When the car is parked away from home without WiFi, I am unable to connect from the app.

I have tried rebooting the screen several times, tried logging out/in to the app, with no success.

Randomly during a journey it'll pick up traffic data for a few minutes then lose it again. Randomly, every few days, I may be able to get a connection to the car for a couple of minutes (although never when I actually need it to, for example, preheat the car before setting off home).

Anyone have any advice before I ring Tesla about it?

Thanks

Update

This issue went away after the latest update, but has now come back again a couple of weeks ago. (Note this is nothing like the radio issue mentioned by "freekie" above, this is mobile network comms)

In spite of having full LTE signal, 90% of the time the map shows "without traffic data", and I'm unable to use Spotify. When the car is parked away from home without WiFi, I am unable to connect from the app.

I have tried rebooting the screen several times, tried logging out/in to the app, with no success.

Randomly during a journey it'll pick up traffic data for a few minutes then lose it again. Randomly, every few days, I may be able to get a connection to the car for a couple of minutes (although never when I actually need it to, for example, preheat the car before setting off home).

Anyone have any advice before I ring Tesla about it?

Thanks
Sounds like an LTE radio or SIM card issue. if a full reset (brake + both buttons) does not fix it then sounds like a trip to the SC unfortunately. Scheduling an appointment via the app is the official way to go for something like this ( could be upto 6 weeks wait though). People generally have very limited success trying to phone them.

Sounds like an LTE radio or SIM card issue. if a full reset (brake + both buttons) does not fix it then sounds like a trip to the SC unfortunately. Scheduling an appointment via the app is the official way to go for something like this ( could be upto 6 weeks wait though). People generally have very limited success trying to phone them.

I didn't know about the full reset, I'll give that a go. I've only ever one the both buttons reset.

Yeah, I looked at booking an appointment through the app for another issue (reversing camera went blank, but that fixed itself on the latest update too). Was going to be about 6 weeks, as you said... Not something I was very happy about! I would expect to be able to get things fixed MUCH quicker than that!

I didn't know about the full reset, I'll give that a go. I've only ever one the both buttons reset.

Yeah, I looked at booking an appointment through the app for another issue (reversing camera went blank, but that fixed itself on the latest update too). Was going to be about 6 weeks, as you said... Not something I was very happy about! I would expect to be able to get things fixed MUCH quicker than that!
The 2 button reset you can actually do while driving so it can't be a full reboot. the + brake is to make sure you are stationary so it is supposed to be a complete restart. you probably know this but hold everything until the tesla logo appears back on the screen. this can be upto something like 30 seconds but feels longer.
Also. lower your expectations.

Tried the buttons+brake reset now, that didn't help but it's good to know.

I rang Tesla, they told me to book into a SC and they would start remote diagnostics straight away. I've booked in to the SC (got an appointment next Thursday, I think I'm lucky!)

I'll update here with any further details, just in case anyone's interested :)