Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: What do delivered Production cars have for Wifi and 3G connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sublimaze1, you said you have an iphone with unlimited data. If the phone is on AT&T, you will have the same ptroblem I have. The (grandfathered) unlimited data plan for the iphone prohibits tethering. In order to tether the phone to the car, you (and I) will need to switch to a "metered" data plan, which I am not thrilled about.
I know that if one unlocks the phone, there is an app you can buy that gives the phone tethering capabilities. However, at one time, AT&T could detect you were doing this and they would switch your data plan (this happened to a friend of mine). I don't know whether the app was able to be updated to prevent AT&T from knowing whether you are tethering on the unlimited data plan.

I meant jailbreak, not unlock. However, I don't know whether the tethering can be done undetected. My friend got "caught" about a year ago and lost her unlimited plan. At the time, I recall reading that the tethering app for jailbroke phones transmitted info to AT&T that indicated the device connected to the iphone. I don't know whether the app writer was able to modify that indication.

Will do ... right now, I am quite happy with the 3G that is in the car (at least for traffic, and web browsing ... I can't use it for slacker 'cause I am cheap). But once it shuts off, I will give it a try. If you don't see anything posted here, check my thread (link in the footer).

Will do!

- - - Updated - - -

Tethering can't work until WiFi is enabled in a future software release.

When I went for my second test drive, they said that WiFi is how a car that does not have 4G will get software updates. So, anyone have a MS without 3G???

Just a couple of observations on tethering for connectivity and/or supplying your own SIM card:

1. You're happy to give up the Model S app? Connectivity via your own phone will mean the app is unavailable for use except when your phone It'sIn the car, kinda pointless. I think its fair to say that those of us Roadster owners with Tesla Tattler or OVMS would never give that up.
  2. There's not really been any discussion on the relative merits of Tesla monitoring or if/how that might work if you want all connectivity through your own card/phone. Some don't want monitoring anyway but there are many Roadster owners who are very happy that Tesla has been able to diagnose issues OTA.

Individual decision, but even assuming there's a choice I wouldn't give up these two functions/benefits to save a few bucks each month.

Sublimaze1, you said you have an iphone with unlimited data. If the phone is on AT&T, you will have the same ptroblem I have. The (grandfathered) unlimited data plan for the iphone prohibits tethering. In order to tether the phone to the car, you (and I) will need to switch to a "metered" data plan, which I am not thrilled about.
I know that if one unlocks the phone, there is an app you can buy that gives the phone tethering capabilities. However, at one time, AT&T could detect you were doing this and they would switch your data plan (this happened to a friend of mine). I don't know whether the app was able to be updated to prevent AT&T from knowing whether you are tethering on the unlimited data plan.

Jailbreaking your phone to use it's full capabilities isn't illegal; but hacking it to circumvent your contract may be illegal as it's effectively stealing.

When I picked up my Model S on 12/14 they said Tesla has arranged for 3G access for their own purposes (i.e. firmware updates) without charge to customers. For the time being, app access is open and free as well but will not be that way forever.

OK, let's get some clarity here. There is no way I am paying for a connectivity plan. (I don't even have a cellphone; I just dont think it's worth it.)
However, Tesla likes to upload software updates over the air. So, what will Tesla's software update procedure be if I refuse to get a connectivity plan? Does Tesla simply pay for the 3G service and limit it to software updates? Or does Tesla send up the Rangers to update the software over USB once a year? (Which is fine.)

I suppose I should ask Tesla.

Wifi, I might actually use.

Just a couple of observations on tethering for connectivity and/or supplying your own SIM card:

1. You're happy to give up the Model S app? Connectivity via your own phone will mean the app is unavailable for use except when your phone It'sIn the car, kinda pointless. I think its fair to say that those of us Roadster owners with Tesla Tattler or OVMS would never give that up.
  2. There's not really been any discussion on the relative merits of Tesla monitoring or if/how that might work if you want all connectivity through your own card/phone. Some don't want monitoring anyway but there are many Roadster owners who are very happy that Tesla has been able to diagnose issues OTA.

Individual decision, but even assuming there's a choice I wouldn't give up these two functions/benefits to save a few bucks each month.

I believe that you are incorrect regarding the Tesla app. I was told that it would work without paying for a data plan using the same system that is allowing OTA updates currently. They might have changed their mind since July, but that is what I was told by one of the guys in charge of the app development.

I believe that you are incorrect regarding the Tesla app. I was told that it would work without paying for a data plan using the same system that is allowing OTA updates currently. They might have changed their mind since July....

I'll be happy to be wrong, although it still seems too much hassle for me personally to want separate connections using an extra phone I have to worry about.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I'm only repeating what I was told.

I was welcoming *rtavan* who made his/her first post just above yours.

cellular data access charge..?

hi, does anyone have hard numbers on what we are going to be charged for data network access?

we basically need cellular data for software updates and reporting, wifi (when enabled) will be able to do that duty most likely.. but for nav data access on the road, very important, and internet radio, it's only cellular data.... so, any info? i assume it's a different plan for signature owners.. what about regular production?

also, anyone know for sure that the bump up to 4G is a software only update, sounds unlikely to me.. but it's possible. that's the rumor....

thx.

hi, does anyone have hard numbers on what we are going to be charged for data network access?

My DS told me it was "free" for at least 3 months, but gave no indication on ongoing price. Slacker is paid for by Tesla (for now, but I don't know if that's indefinite either). The "Tech" package is supposed to include 7 years of map updates for the Nav. It's tough to know what percentage of the Google map data is physically on the car or gets downloaded over the air as you go. If we opt out of wireless plan, does the car still get system software and mapping updates? Hard to know at this point.

I just hope they are reasonable about the pricing because now that I've had the car for less than a week, having it not be "on-line" would be unacceptable in my mind. Most likely they will offer tiered data plans - possibly even unlimited. We'll want Wifi to default when available to avoid data usage charges. Another wrinkle would be the ability to tether off mobile phone...My Iphone on ATT still is grandfathered in w/ unlimited data on 4g-even so, it makes sense for the Model S to have it's "own" 24x7 connection.

also, anyone know for sure that the bump up to 4G is a software only update, sounds unlikely to me.. but it's possible. that's the rumor....

thx.

Depends on what Tesla means by "4G." If you mean LTE, then it is unlikely that there is a way to update software and allow it to connect to an LTE network. (The only possibility would be if Tesla had included an LTE chipset in the car but just failed to turn it on.) There is another possibility though. ATT has gotten approval to label their HSPA+ network as "4G" I believe it is possible through a software update to allow access to HSPA+. While slower than LTE is a speed bump compared to standard 3G.

Depends on what Tesla means by "4G." If you mean LTE, then it is unlikely that there is a way to update software and allow it to connect to an LTE network. (The only possibility would be if Tesla had included an LTE chipset in the car but just failed to turn it on.) There is another possibility though. ATT has gotten approval to label their HSPA+ network as "4G" I believe it is possible through a software update to allow access to HSPA+. While slower than LTE is a speed bump compared to standard 3G.

yep, i'd be fine w "4G", it's a good bump over 3G... it's no LTE, but, i think it would be a vast improvement over the current connection.. thx.