Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity when moving a Y from the USA to a country with no AT&T coverage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the least of your problems. Besides the fact that it could be very expensive to get the car registered and up to local specs (lighting, signage, reflectors, etc. that would all have to be changed back if you brought the car back to the US), you probably won't be able to get anything serviced, even warranty stuff, you won't get updates (even on wifi) and you won't be able to supercharge.

Last edited:
Just tell us what country. If it's somewhere like Canada, you're definitely fine. The car is capable of using different LTE bands, so it can roam natively in different countries and use the networks that Tesla has partnered with. Other aspects (like charging) may not be so simple, but there's no way to tell you.

I'm thinking of taking it to the Caribbean. To an island called Bonaire. I know there are already a couple of Tesla's on the island, but I'm told connectivity requires the installation of a "modem" for a new physical SIM, and this sounds wrong on the surface.

2yr old thread, but might still apply. Looks like you might need a local SIM combined with a service request to get everything working. Or maybe it just works, since it's still technically North America. Though I don't know if the local SIM would have to come from Tesla or not - I suspect it would, since they pay for the standard data plan these cars use.