Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectors for portable charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my new (used) MS, I got the portable charger and 2 adapters - one for 120V 15A common wall sockets and another for a 50A 220V connector. I found where they sell others but was wondering if anyone has made and posted a DIY process for various sockets out there? We also have a Volt and its mobile charger is normally used for 120V at 8 or 12A. BUT, with a simple converter we DIY from the Volt forum, we can plug it into a NEMA 5-50 220V socket in our garage for double the power output using the 120V connector on it (we also made a another DIY connector for a NEMA 6-15 socket).

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
Not really sure what you are asking for, but there are a number of vendors that sell the adapters. A number of EVs provide connectivity from the NEMA 14-50 plug.

Hi Ewoodrick,

Yes, I know that both Tesla and at least one eBay vendor sell additional adapters for the Gen1 charger. There are also vendors who sell adapters for the Volt/Bolt charger, but they all charge a fair amount of money ($35-$70) for just one. Yes, they look nice but as a DIY type of person and an Amateur Radio operator, I enjoy building my own electronics. For example, a $35 adapter for the Volt was made for $9 in Home Depot parts and about 15 minutes of time. Plus mine was shorter and lighter.

I guess what I am looking for is if there are folks on any of the Tesla forums who like to DIY and posted pinouts for such.

Thanks for the reply.

Tesla provides adapters for the typical outlets.

If you have charging issues using the Tesla connectors, Tesla should support you and cover any issues under the standard or extended warranties, and cover the battery pack under the 8 year warranty.

But, if you have charging issues with a DIY adapter, Tesla may not support you if there are problems - and if there are battery pack issues caused by using a faulty adapter, you could be facing a large cost if you have to pay for repair/replacement of the battery pack.

There are also potential liability issues. EV charging draws a lot of power, for extended periods. If you DIY the adapter or the charging outlet, insurance companies may not cover any damage, should there be issues caused during EV charging.

Rather than doing a DIY adapter, it may be better to get a certified electrician to install a supported outlet, and then use one of the Tesla adapters.

Reactions: TexasEV
How many different outlets do you plan to plug into? This isn’t 2013 any more, and there’s a big difference between high amp 240V circuits running for hours and a ham radio. Buy the adapter you need from Tesla and find something safer to play with. Especially if you think there is something called a “5-50 220V socket”.

By the way it’s not a portable charger. Its the Universal Mobile Connector (UMC). The charger is in the car.

Last edited:
For the GEN1 UMC - the "adaptor" plugged into the UMC sets the current limit. It does it via a resistance value across two internal pins. I believe the GEN2 is same, but it does have more signal wires going to the adaptor to monitor temperature.

Back when Tesla only had the 5-15 & the 14-50 adaptor, many folks made adaptors that plugged into the 14-50. The problem is that the car would still draw 40a... even if the adaptor was converting it from a 10-30 to a 10-50. If the user forgot to set the current down in the car, a circuit could be badly overloaded and the house may burn down.

My advice - as long as you are looking to use "standard" plugs, just buy the plugs you need from Tesla. It's cheap compared to the cost of the car. Unlike the old days, when it was critical to be able to plug into anything that provided power, the need isn't so great anymore. I've survived with the 14-50 and the J1772 adaptor and I purchased a 6-50 to use at relatives house. I typically only carry the J1772 adaptor

Here is a thread related to the topic - New owner building arsenal of emergency adapters and cables

Especially if you think there is something called a “5-50 220V socket”.
I just checked the outlet charts, and I was really surprised to find that 5-50 outlets do actually exist, but they are amazingly rare, so I also doubt that it's what the OP has. And the 220 thing is just an irritating wrong terminology thing, but doesn't really make a technical difference.

Still, @FMinMI I don't recommend messing with that unless you have to for something that you just can't buy an adapter for. When Tesla sells the original ones for $35 each, it's not worth the risk of trying to build one yourself.

The other factor on this is that you were relatively safe-ish for the one you did on the Volt charging cord. The cable and car don't have much adjustment of how many amps it is, so it is still going to use the same 8 or 12 reasonable amps from either 120V or 240V. That's not that big an issue, because you're not going to overdraw whatever outlet type you adapt it to, so it's hard to get in trouble there. But it's a little different with Teslas, when people make these homemade adapters, where they put a plug for a 20A or 30A outlet type on one end and adapte it for the Tesla 50A adapter, that creates a potential dangerous problem. The car will by default try to draw 40A from that 30A circuit, and if you are lucky, the breaker trips in time. You have to manually dial down the current in the car to safely do that, and it is supposed to remember that amp setting for that location, but there have been many cases where a software update accidentally forgets that lower setting, and it goes back to drawing 40A from that undersized circuit.

So generally just don't do it, or if you really must, then ONLY make adapters that are at the same current level, like 30A to 30A or 50A to 50A. That will properly manage the current level without you needing to remember to dial anything down.

Still, @FMinMI I don't recommend messing with that unless you have to for something that you just can't buy an adapter for. When Tesla sells the original ones for $35 each, it's not worth the risk of trying to build one yourself.
Not to mention that the Tesla ones properly set the charge rate, and the parts aren't all that cheap. You could spend more than half that amount just buying the parts. I say this as someone who uses an OpenEVSE and HAD to make all his own adapters.