Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model 3 or Cadillac ATS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Afternoon everyone. This is my first post on this site and I have some questions about the Teslas. I've been researching on YouTube and the internet. I just got offered a new job so I am going to be able to clear some things up. One thing in particular is the current car that I have. It's a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium trim. Good economy car but it has its issues(Notorious transmission issues from factory). A woman that works in my building has a Tesla Model 3 Long Range I believe(she stated that she wanted the 310 mile variant. Other specs she doesn't care about). She offered for me to test drive it and I did and I was hooked!!!! The only issue I had driving the car was the regenerative braking. When I was researching I was considering a used Model S but I've since changed my mind. Especially since you have to pay for supercharging currently. That being said I have the following questions regarding the Model 3. Particularly the Performance or Long Range trims...

1. I plan on having the car out in the elements. How will a NEMA 14-50 or Wall connector hold up? I live in North Florida. Temperatures can range from Mid 20F at the lowest in the winter up to 100F in the summer.

2. I will need to add a sub panel. Has anyone had to do this and has it been taxing to your electrical system in your home? Also how much did it cost?

3. Tires. I've heard from other YouTubers that the 21 inch tires on the Model S do not last long. Is this the same for the 20 inch or 18 inch tires on the model 3?

4. Can you totally turn off the regenerative braking now with the software updates? I felt like I was being pulled back with this feature.

5. The lady that works in my building was affected by Hurricane Michael and her Tesla was damaged. Are there any issues with the Model 3 with receiving replacement parts now? This has been a HUGE factor for me in between choosing a Model 3 or S.

6. Anyone pay for their model 3 cash or put 50%+ down? I really want to keep my debt down and plan to save up my cash for the Tesla if I decide to get it. I want to get another car ASAP but if I pay for the Tesla cash I would need to save for 2 years. One year I can put a sizable down payment on it or just buy the Cadillac ATS cash.

7. Performance. I drove the dual motor long range model I believe and liked it. How much of a difference is the performance model? From my understanding the dual motor long range can run 12.7 in the quarter mile and the performance model can run 11.8 in the quarter. Modding the Cadillac can net the same times as well as the performance.

8. How much did your light bill increase? I just have a co-op that charges two different prices. Anything under 1,000KWH is 11.8 cents and anything over 1,000KWH is 13.8 cents. I spoke with the lady that works in my building and she was stating that hers went up by $50. She has a co-op as well. Also she drives 160 miles round trip each day but I drive 80 round trip. She also charges to 94% every night.

9. Are these cars really "set it and forget it" for the most part? I know there are other things to be done to the car but comparing to a gas car is there a big difference?

10. Dealing with being "ICED" or people blocking parking spaces. Has anyone had to deal with this and if so how did you deal with it?

I take a guy carpooling with me. He has the Cadillac, it was his pride and joy. He bought it because he loved the design, the luxury image, the "luxury" interior. To him it represented the pinnacle of American luxury, Each to their own of course. After riding in my Model3 he was ready to get rid of the Cadillac almost immediately. Just saying.
1) - no problem
2) - n/a
3) - depends on how much you like launching 0-60 a the lights
4) - don't believe so, you don't want to do this, you want regenerative braking for sure, takes a few weeks or so to get used to and master
5) - dependent on where you live and your local SC, luck, time of day, mood of Elon.. etc,
6) - yes.. no big deal
7) n/a
8) - very variable depending on where you live. ALl I can say is my normal electric bill without any AC turned on is veyr low, maybe $30-50/month. WIth charging it's about $200. With AC running occasionally in summer and no charging it can be up to $300+. I feel that 150/month is very competitive compared to gas. I live in an area with expensive electricity though
9) not sure what you mean. DO you mean driving with autopilot? (that's more like collaborative driving rather than forget it). If you mean maintenance.. not much to do other than check tyres and occasionally brakes.
10) - never, not a problem. maybe if you live in an area where giant bro trucks rule the roads you might get some idiot harrass you I guess. Not a consideration

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
You can set your regen from Standard, which most of us like for the energy going back into the battery, to Low to help you get use to it. If you've never driven stick and downshifted before to experience a similar feel, it can be jolting when you first try it. It really doesn't take people long to adjust your foot on the accelerator to give a smoother braking experience. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

1) Just get a receptacle that is rated for outdoors. Usually has a hood/flip up door.
2)Totally dependent on your current system and how complex the run is to add it.
3)Depends on driving habits, but I don't think you are going to get 75k out of them
4) As posted above you can turn it down to low. Once you get used to one-pedal driving it really is great. With the new update I very rarely use the brake pedal.
5)I don't have personal experience with this
6)No issue either way
7)Test drive them. I have the LR AWD and it is plenty fast for me.
8)Depends on your rates and driving. 80 miles a day for you would be under $3 with your rates. Conservative estimate is 0.250 kwh/mile.
9) basically no maintenance
10) non-issue.

I have had the car for a couple of months now and I don't think I will ever go back to an ICE. Obviously the answers you get on this site will point you towards a Tesla.

Honestly ICE cars are dying. GM, Daimler, (and I think a few others) have all said they are no longer putting research and development into ICE. Everyone is playing catch-up to Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
We have both an S and Model 3, which is my primary driver. We'd never consider buying anything else out there because we love our cars so much. Had mine over a year now and haven't had to do anything other than air in tires and adding windshield washer fluid. Neither one of us would ever go back to an ICE vehicle so can't help you with your other alternative.

As for Model 3 AWD or a AWD P version, can you test drive a P model at a Telsa store near you? I find my Model 3 AWD pretty exciting to drive and accelerate in, but have read some guys out there regretting not getting the P version. I guess it depends on your personal preference for additional acceleration off the line and a few other features it has. Only you can make that decision for yourself.

I can't tell you how wonderful it is to never go into a gas station or service center for all those maintenance issues that add up. No Smog check here and no replacement of a catalytic converter. No fumes and can't wait until more cars are EVs and I don't have to sit in line waiting behind one. We installed a NEMA 14-50 in our garage and I charge my car out in the driveway backed up near the garage door. Our garage door has that big rubber seal at the bottom and so as not to crush the cabling we use two sample pieces of corian placed on each side of the cable that we had that are slightly higher than the cable on the ground to make sure the door doesn't put pressure on the cable. The garage door still closes and the cable can move freely. My husband liked the more secure electrical connection that way but there are plenty of owners on here who have both NEMA 14-50 and HWPCs units installed outdoors with no problems. The NEMA 14-50 can be installed in a box with a lock if you have concerns about electrical theft or people messing with it.

ICE'd usually refers to combustion engine vehicles blocking EVs at charging stations, and I haven't personally experienced that when I needed to charge away from home. I have seen bad behavior in public parking garages where both ICE vehicles and sadly even EVs or hybrids will take a charging spot (EVs not charging). Sometimes it's due to the signage at the location, even some Tesla charging spots might have parking for anyone for a 30 minute limit. With more EVs coming to the roads and more people becoming aware of the fact it could mean someone can't get a charge to get home, hopefully this will disappear. Always in favor of a ticket and tow for those that abuse the space.

I have the 19inch sport wheels on my car and am mindful of my tire pressure. Have not had any flat tires but with the 21s on Model Ss it is just something you live with. 18inch Aero wheels with the covers on will increase your range.

As for cash or 50% loan, it's really up to you and what you feel comfortable with financially. Auto loans are still pretty low now. Check out insurance rates for your area and how you are rated as a driver. A AWD P model will be not only more expensive to buy but have a higher insurance premium.

Last edited:
With the new software update, the Performance model can go 11.5 and under. There has already been someone who has broken 3 seconds to 60. There is a big difference in the first 60 between the regular Dual Motor vs. the Performance. Test drive both to see if the extra $5k is worth it to you.

1. I plan on having the car out in the elements. How will a NEMA 14-50 or Wall connector hold up? I live in North Florida. Temperatures can range from Mid 20F at the lowest in the winter up to 100F in the summer. The wall connector is rated for outdoor use. You can also get an outdoor enclosure for a NEMA 14-50, but the mobile connector that comes with the car isn't rated for outdoor use so you'll want to have some way to protect it.

2. I will need to add a sub panel. Has anyone had to do this and has it been taxing to your electrical system in your home? Also how much did it cost? Cost is very dependent on where you live, and how far away from the main panel you want the sub panel. I've heard that telling electricians you want it for a Tesla can result in higher bids, so many people tell them it's for plugging in an RV. The number of amps you have available depends on your current service and how many electrical devices you have in your house already. I have 200A service and I had no problem adding a 60A circuit for the wall connector. I did the work myself so it only cost ~$100 in parts (not including the actual wall connector).

3. Tires. I've heard from other YouTubers that the 21 inch tires on the Model S do not last long. Is this the same for the 20 inch or 18 inch tires on the model 3? I've never seen anyone say that their 19 or 20" tires wear out faster. I have 18s and based on current wear I should get around 25000 miles out of them. This is highly dependent on how fast you drive.

4. Can you totally turn off the regenerative braking now with the software updates? I felt like I was being pulled back with this feature. Regenerative braking can be set to standard or low, but you can't completely turn it off. Once you get used to it it's one of the greatest things about driving an EV (especially with the new one-pedal driving mode Tesla just released). Also saves on brake pad wear.

5. The lady that works in my building was affected by Hurricane Michael and her Tesla was damaged. Are there any issues with the Model 3 with receiving replacement parts now? This has been a HUGE factor for me in between choosing a Model 3 or S. The parts issue seems to be getting better, but I would be leary about buying a Tesla if you don't live near a service center.

6. Anyone pay for their model 3 cash or put 50%+ down? I really want to keep my debt down and plan to save up my cash for the Tesla if I decide to get it. I want to get another car ASAP but if I pay for the Tesla cash I would need to save for 2 years. One year I can put a sizable down payment on it or just buy the Cadillac ATS cash. I put 65% down and financed the rest through Lightstream - no lien and pretty low interest rate. My payment is less that $350 a month.

7. Performance. I drove the dual motor long range model I believe and liked it. How much of a difference is the performance model? From my understanding the dual motor long range can run 12.7 in the quarter mile and the performance model can run 11.8 in the quarter. Modding the Cadillac can net the same times as well as the performance. I have the LR AWD and it's plenty fast for everyday driving. Not to mention it's instantaneously fast, so stop light to stop light you'll be faster 95% of the cars out there. I test drove the performance model before I bought mine and honestly I could see myself getting into serious trouble with it.

8. How much did your light bill increase? I just have a co-op that charges two different prices. Anything under 1,000KWH is 11.8 cents and anything over 1,000KWH is 13.8 cents. I spoke with the lady that works in my building and she was stating that hers went up by $50. She has a co-op as well. Also she drives 160 miles round trip each day but I drive 80 round trip. She also charges to 94% every night. I pay just under $0.12/kWh, and I've averaged about $50 a month increase. Compared to $150-$200 a month in gas.

9. Are these cars really "set it and forget it" for the most part? I know there are other things to be done to the car but comparing to a gas car is there a big difference? There are a ton of settings, but for the most part the defaults are what you want and a lot of things are automatic - head lights, wipers, the car turning on and off, etc. It's super easy to just walk up to the car, open the door without dealing with locks, step on the brake pedal and shift to drive, and then go. To get out you just push the park button and get out, no worrying about turning the car off. One of my biggest problems now is when I have to drive someone else's ICE car, I often get out without turning the engine off.

10. Dealing with being "ICED" or people blocking parking spaces. Has anyone had to deal with this and if so how did you deal with it? If you can charge at home or work then you rarely have to deal with public chargers at all. I've only been to a supercharger once, and that was more to try it out (and get some free electrons from the referral program). If you plan on taking road trips then it might be something you have to deal with.

Reactions: Big Earl
Get home charging. Find a performance model 3 "sleeper" - it's a performance 3 without the 20 inch wheels, spoiler, larger brakes but only $49500 with basic autopilot. Ton of fun to drive and the ATS shouldn't even be considered after you take the Model 3 for a spin. I still own a BMW 435i as a backup car since I had bought it and didn't want to take the hit on selling a perfectly functioning car. Both our 3 and p100D X have continued to get better with updates and more fun and faster than the BMW which is basically there for emergencies and to sit and look pretty.

I have a 20" tire setup and I'm still around 5/32" to 7/32" at around 22k miles. Recommended replacement is around 3.5 or 4/32". RWD Model 3's may wear out their tires faster than dual motors variants as the load is spread more on the dual motor resulting in less tire wear.

I take a guy carpooling with me. He has the Cadillac, it was his pride and joy. He bought it because he loved the design, the luxury image, the "luxury" interior. To him it represented the pinnacle of American luxury, Each to their own of course. After riding in my Model3 he was ready to get rid of the Cadillac almost immediately. Just saying.
1) - no problem
2) - n/a
3) - depends on how much you like launching 0-60 a the lights
4) - don't believe so, you don't want to do this, you want regenerative braking for sure, takes a few weeks or so to get used to and master
5) - dependent on where you live and your local SC, luck, time of day, mood of Elon.. etc,
6) - yes.. no big deal
7) n/a
8) - very variable depending on where you live. ALl I can say is my normal electric bill without any AC turned on is veyr low, maybe $30-50/month. WIth charging it's about $200. With AC running occasionally in summer and no charging it can be up to $300+. I feel that 150/month is very competitive compared to gas. I live in an area with expensive electricity though
9) not sure what you mean. DO you mean driving with autopilot? (that's more like collaborative driving rather than forget it). If you mean maintenance.. not much to do other than check tyres and occasionally brakes.
10) - never, not a problem. maybe if you live in an area where giant bro trucks rule the roads you might get some idiot harrass you I guess. Not a consideration
That's good that the regents can be a l eww a learning process. As for the EV haters I do live in the large truck area. I have one myself but I believe true future is electric.

Regenerative braking is not an issue, it is apart of the electric driving experience.

Model 3 has the best regen out of all EV's and the new HOLD one pedal driving mode is another level.

That "Cadillac" word looks and sounds really old, not familiar with that.

Tesla makes the greatest cars on the planet, and that's just facts.

Reactions: EinSV and jaws2003