Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Plaid...but do you think it's "worth it"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to summarize replies so far: everyone with a Plaid would buy it again, folks without a Plaid are very happy with their cars, but lack experience with a Plaid.

I used to have a vintage P85, got a P100DL and I will always get the top performance model for every car I buy moving forward. I understand why folks get the extra performance. I recommend the same to all my friends too. Basically tell them to save their money and don't buy Autopilot or FSD, and use it towards the performance model (or Plaid for the X/S)
The current gap between the cost of an LR and Plaid is only $13,110. If financed over 7 years, it’s a negligible difference although insurance would likely impact the bottom line a bit.
To me, the LR is crazy fast. As posted above, I did not know about the launch mode until last night when I was driving home from my purchase. That was fairly exhilarating.
Is that what gets you to 60 in 3.1?
The Plaid must be insane. I don’t know if I have the kind of restraint needed to own a Plaid. 😆
But yeah, to your point, $13,110 is less than FSD. Probably the best value ever.

Imagine that amount of depreciation in less than a year of ownership! Wow! I thought I had it rough with my LR that I bought at the end of 2022 with some good discounts, but it still went even lower.

Yes, it's quite a depreciation hit but that's what can happen when a company significantly raises prices and then turns around and significantly lowers them as Tesla did.

That Model S plaid that sold on the wholesale auction was purchased as a flip by a dealer. Will sell for more when it is retailed.

It had double the normal miles for a one year car (19,000) had repainted wheels and worn tires. Original tires changed out at 10,000 miles so the original owner obviously beat on it a bit.It did not have FSD, but only basic Autopilot technology. A new one (7 miles) is selling for new on Tesla.com for $104,000. Comes with free supercharging for 3 years and all the latest updates. A good deal, but not really amazing.

This car happened to be sold to a dealer but Cars & Bids isn't necessarily a "wholesale auction" any more than Bring a Trailer.

While new MS Plaids are selling for as little as $102,630 (discounted existing inventory car) or $110,130 (custom order), this particular car as equipped (not including owner modifications) would be $116,880 as a custom order or $7,500 less if you can get a comparable existing inventory car.

$78,375 (including auction fee) is as much as $38,505 less than new today and over $65,000 less than the retail price a year ago.

Where are you getting $13,110? The price gap is $20,000.

"Custom order" cars
MS starts at $90,130
MS Plaid starts at $110,130

Discounted existing (new) inventory cars
MS starts at $82,630
MS Plaid starts at $102,630
And that does not include another $20k for the track package. I mean, is a Plaid really a Plaid without the track package?! :cool:

Where are you getting $13,110? The price gap is $20,000.

"Custom order" cars
MS starts at $90,130
MS Plaid starts at $110,130

Discounted existing (new) inventory cars
MS starts at $82,630
MS Plaid starts at $102,630
Good.
I purchased my LR yesterday and last night was reading this discussion, crunched the numbers, and must have erroneously concluded $13,110.
I thought it sounded off and was suffering a touch of buyers remorse.
Thank you!
😃

You might want to consider taking a Model 3 performance for a test drive, too. At half the price, the acceleration will still give you adrenaline shakes and some of us vastly prefer the handling of the Model 3.
I have owned a Model 3 Performance, an S85DL, and my S Plaid.
The Model 3 is simpler, more 'toss able', and is a great choice,
The Model S Plaid is an entirely different experience, but is even more satisfying.
For my tastes I tend towards the smallest high performance options, a bevy of Pocket Rockets and several 'real' sports cars (i.e. two or 2+2, convertible or roadster usually) so I really want the eventual Roadster.
Thus, my S Plaid is much too large for me BUT it is so very satisfying.
Skip rationality if you're devoted to the experience. Anyone who is, and has the means, will not regret the Plaid S.

And that does not include another $20k for the track package. I mean, is a Plaid really a Plaid without the track package?! :cool:
Honestly, the LR can over run its brakes, just not quite as quickly as the Plaid, but it is still an issue. I would say if you are going to push your Plaid, definitely get the CCB part of the track pack. The tires that come with the track pack would be a liability for most people once they hit their heat cycle limit.

If they would come out with something between the M3P and S Plaid, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. I miss the compactness of the 3 when I drive the S and miss the performance of the Plaid when I drive the 3. I especially hate how the 3 just flattens out its acceleration curve by 70 mph. What has surprised me is how good the S sticks in turns and its main downside to me is its size when tossing it around but it is better than I thought it would be.

If I was so much in a dense urban environment most of the time I'd enjoy the S even more. The 3's size is the ideal tool in the city and you can easily toss it around. Closest thing to an EV Miata that I've driven.

The new LR does it’s 0-60 in 3ish seconds. That used to be P90D territory. A friend of mine who had the P90D is perfectly happy with his LR.
That's what Tesla advertises. There hasn't been anyone I've seen that has ever replicated the 3.1s advertised. The times advertised by Tesla on the Plaid seem replicated pretty close within about 0.1s or so.

Insurance went up $340/yr for me moving from a M3 SR+ to the Plaid with full comp/collision $500 ded with Geico. I thought this was very reasonable.

That's what Tesla advertises. There hasn't been anyone I've seen that has ever replicated the 3.1s advertised. The times advertised by Tesla on the Plaid seem replicated pretty close within about 0.1s or so.

Insurance went up $340/yr for me moving from a M3 SR+ to the Plaid with full comp/collision $500 ded with Geico. I thought this was very reasonab

In my book, 3.3 is still 3ish. Still crazy fast considering I grew up when 6.0sec was considered insane supercar performance.

Realistically it is 3.4 vs 3.1. People spend thousands of dollars to drop that much time and when already running that fast. So to not get what you were promised is very frustrating.

For me it was one of the reasons why I didn’t buy an M3P. Having driven an M3P I knew it wasn’t as quick as what I wanted.

Realistically it is 3.4 vs 3.1. People spend thousands of dollars to drop that much time and when already running that fast. So to not get what you were promised is very frustrating.

For me it was one of the reasons why I didn’t buy an M3P. Having driven an M3P I knew it wasn’t as quick as what I wanted.

Every time I turn around, someone adds another .1 to the MSLR time. Let's just get it over with, and call it a 10sec 0-60 car. 🤣 🤣 🤣

My first timed run was a 3.5 and best was a 3.28. Vast majority of runs were very high 3.3x to mid 3.4x. With nothing changed, it would sometimes randomly run a 3.5x or 3.6x. Then bounce back and run a 3.3x. I tried everything to see if it made a difference and nothing seemed to.

One of my best runs was at 85% SoC after just setting out all day and just hopped in it to try a few passes. No drag strip mode, cheetah stance, no warn up, just went to my test area and hit it. I ran a 3.30 and the next hit was a 3.67 and then back to a 3.38. Basically as fast as I could run 0-60 or a 1/4 and turn it around and make another pace. The LR basically never really faded from one run to the next. The LR is remarkable from that perspective.

We have a Plaid, 2023 MY and a Rivian R1T (0-60 in 3s). I regularly walk past the Plaid to get into the Rivian. The refreshed S has all kind of vibration issues. Look that up on this forum before buying a Plaid or LR. When the Plaid is not vibrating like a MoFo, it is a nice ride.

Reactions: racerx2005
Hi all. First time poster and potential first time Tesla owner. Here's a weird question if those who have owned a Plaid or similarly high performance variants of the Model S can chime in. I read a reddit post of a guy who bought a Plaid and sold it after like 6months aftert he basically got "ruined" by how fast the car was and also how un-usable that acceleration was in day to day driving causing him to ultimately sell the car.

A quick background: I rented a 2018 P100D with the Ludicrous+ mode on turo last year and after experiencing the most insane launch and acceleration I've ever felt in a car for a weekend...everything else feels slow and antiquated. I was really happy for a weekend and then of course my impulse was to start looking at owning a similar car. Then I thought that with daily commute i won't be doing those crazy launches and so if I do get a Plaid it's going to feel like I"m wasting money when the unique feature of the Plaid really can't be fully used frequently due to safety/legal reasons.

Someone posted this that resonates with me:

Of course the additional cost of the Plaid is another factor. Maybe I should just look for a pre-2021 P100D/Performance and get 90% of the acceleration of a plaid but pay way less so I feel not as much of the price not being worth it?

Thoughts on all this?

And a related note, any good guides/post on how to inspect/check for a used Tesla? I've done a fair amount of regular ICE car buying and know lot of the checks but any specific way that you can check the state of the battery of a Tesla prior to buying it?

Thanks!
Read the threads on these very forum about a damming vibration while driving the Plaid, plaguing all years from 2021 onwards.

I’ve been always tempted to get the Plaid, but won’t even as cheap as it is now, knowing that I will have issues with vibration on 35-45mph as well as above 85mph, besides minor issues and a fit and finish of early 90’s Kia. Maybe lowering the price is for an short term redesign? all bets are off.

Research a lot first, don’t make an emotional buy.