Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering canceling due to size, lack of sunroof, and lack of power lift gate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least for me, the powered trunk (lift gate) is a would be cool to have feature but not a deal breaker. I agree with most people here on the "I haven't seen many sedans with this feature" wagon, and as long as it pops up and a little push lifts it up under the pneumatic piston then I am ok. As for anything that would be pano/sun roof, I literally couldn't care less. I had a sunroof on my high school car and I used it very infrequently and while it's "kinda cool" I always worry about the seal and water egress. I think having the all glass roof, and not having it open as a much cooler experience.

Sounds like the biggest issue is the not much smaller size of the car for your Wife.

Might resolve itself if She can get a demo ride before your purchase. Maybe be enough to get a demo ride from an owner near you.

If the car is small enough, and nimble enough, those other features might not be as big a deal.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Nice to hear some varying opinions and thoughts.

BMW has a power trunk and there is even a retrofit for it:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bm...80/convenience-retrofits/power-trunk-retrofit

I think some of our anxiety is that we wanted to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit, but were not quite ready to commit if our configuration came up soon, which we thought might being in AZ and an existing owner. But we're not going to let the tax credit, reduced tax credit, or no tax credit force our hand.

Good suggestion on the test drive to better assess the size and feel. We'll definitely do that. Hopefully a sunroof is an option by the time the AWD comes out. Again, we realize not everyone loves it, but the sunroof is very important to us, and now that I think about it, is a deal breaker. I'd rather have my "basic" S85 with pano roof than a Model 3 without sunroof.

We'll see what goodies, if any, are added in 6 months or so when the AWD versions come out. If there is still no sunroof option, perhaps the performance and acceleration might still tilt things in favor of completing the Model 3 purchase.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Nice to hear some varying opinions and thoughts.

BMW has a power trunk and there is even a retrofit for it:

Power Trunk retrofit - Convenience Retrofits - BMW 3-series - F30/F31/F34/F80 - BimmerTech

I think some of our anxiety is that we wanted to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit, but were not quite ready to commit if our configuration came up soon, which we thought might being in AZ and an existing owner. But we're not going to let the tax credit, reduced tax credit, or no tax credit force our hand.

Good suggestion on the test drive to better assess the size and feel. We'll definitely do that. Hopefully a sunroof is an option by the time the AWD comes out. Again, we realize not everyone loves it, but the sunroof is very important to us, and now that I think about it, is a deal breaker. I'd rather have my "basic" S85 with pano roof than a Model 3 without sunroof.

We'll see what goodies, if any, are added in 6 months or so when the AWD versions come out. If there is still no sunroof option, perhaps the performance and acceleration might still tilt things in favor of completing the Model 3 purchase.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

....or if not the Model 3 at that point, if you've been happy with your Ss, even a used, later Model S with pano and bigger battery might be a consideration if you're trying to stay within a certain price point.