Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering switching from Audi SQ5 to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In any TCO comparison, you must factor in maintenance. The Audi will cost you $2k US every 40k miles for a four corner brake job. there’s also transmission service which will run several hundred dollars. And the yearly normal service adds up too. The MY has no scheduled service to speak of. I know whereof I speak; had an A6 prior to the MY. Loved the Audi but maintenance costs finally drove me away after seven years.

Not to mention the 3.0T (in the SQ5) will eventually need timing chain done depending on mileage. Mine in the A6 was starting to make loud noises on startup at about 140K KM and was drinking about a quart of oil every 2 weeks. Although you might no keep the car for that long...
The fit and finish and interior materials used in the audi is def superior. Audi interior was a very nice place to be.

@BadAlien - 8K rebate really makes MYSR worth it however in Ontario, M3SR+ is the only model that qualifies for federal 5K rebate however that car doesn't work for me. The floor to seat cushion height is low, pushing the knees upwards more than even the A4 and my avg height kids complaining that "this is not comfortable".

@mycroftxxx - thanks for your input and agreed that service costs do add up. For the Q5 quote I received, it included Audi Care which covers 4 dealer services. I get all work done by a local independent mech, who worked at Audi for 10+ years. While the cost s less than dealer, it certainly is a lot compared to MYLR maintenance

The A4 is going up for sale (dealer trade quotes were ridiculous) in 2 weeks so I have some time to decide on which car to choose. I have a 2nd car to drive while the new car is built and delivered. Hoping all the feedback and experience here help make that decision / choice a little easier.

Not necessarily adding to or responding to points made here directly (they are all good), but I can offer my perspective as a 2020 SQ5 owner (and until last week when I bought a Model Y Performance, a 2015 Audi S4 owner). Fit/finish on my Y is very good despite some of the comments you read here--I think much of that relates to the quality/attention to detail of the SC personnel who deliver your car. If they care, they'll make it right and our SC is very good. Beyond that, sure the Y interior is not as fancy as the Audi (even my 'former' 2015 S4). However, I find the Y interior to be quite nice in a minimalist sort of way and most importantly--it is very functional. Honestly, the MMI system in the Audis sucks--talk about counter intuitive, buried commands and flakey electronics--the damn radio seems to update stations every week and erased my presets regularly--I gave up trying to keep any presets in my Audi--wife's SQ5 is better, but suffers from the same issues--encountered this riding in it just yesterday. From a driveability standpoint--the instant torque and zippiness of the Y (at least in Performance trim) runs circles around the SQ5. And lets not get started on maintenance---once you've burned through your AudiCare policy and have to start paying for service (or are out of warranty) those $ skyrocket. I'm quite happy with my Y over my S4 and given the choice to drive the SQ5 or the Y in the garage now, I take the Y 9 times out of 10.

@bdaviskc thanks for your feedback as an Audi owner now with MY. I looked at SQ5 as well however I would certainly take the MYLR at that price point. I have been a bit lucky with Audi issues or repairs so far but know of more than few friends spending repair $$$ on their BMW, Audi, Mercs etc. Again, MYLR has all those cars beat with almost zero repair costs, or time wasted at the shop. I'm glad I prob have 3-6 weeks to make a decision to make the right decision.

I owned an older Q5 for a while, and it was a sweet ride. But the reliability was atrocious, the maintenance pricey, and of course as everyone knows, the MMI was (and still is in current models) an embarrassment.

I test drove the e-tron prior to buying the MY, and the philosophical interior design differences are glaring. At first I thought I would miss the 60+ buttons and knobs I could reach from the Q5 driver’s seat, but now I don’t know how I ever put up with them!

@GeekyDoc - Audi does seem to have some nice features not available on MYLR but same goes the other way. I preferred the MYLR minimal interior but do feel (IMO) Audi interior feels bit more premium and I really liked that Virtual Cockpit for Navi/Speed.

Q5e base start here at $70,400 Canadian so at the point, MYLR is a clear winner by far.
As someone who switched from a 2018 SQ5 to the Y, I’d say compare the SQ5 price to the MY since it’s closer in the 0-60 time (5.1 vs 4.8]. I have ZERO regrets switching to the Y.

For us in the U.S., sticker for an SQ5 Premium Plus, tow hitch, fine Napa leather, is around $62k. The MY including the $8k for FSD came to the same price.

Reactions: bdaviskc