Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Tesla model 3 / Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there aren't too many electric cars and Tesla already has an established brand an network I am considering Tesla. I like a smaller car so I am thinking of the 3 or Y. I have a few questions for owners.

1. Did you buy or lease?
2. Is the resale value good?
3. How is the build quality?
4. Is there a way to get a 360 camera view?

1. I bought mine, but some people lease these as well. The lease terms are not as good as german marquee's and you can not buy the car at the end of the lease from tesla, currently (model 3/ y)

2. Yes

3. Varies (I will direct you to the model 3 order subform and ask you to look through there, to head off that discussion in this thread as there is plenty current existing discussion on this specific topic already on TMC.

4. No.

1. Bought. Lease is expensive and can't buy it after 3 years.
2. Good resale value, especially now.
3. Mine was pretty much perfect. Your mileage make vary. I think it's hit or miss.
4. No. In "2 weeks" Elon said that they can do the simulated 360 view like how it does the view graphics for the outside now.

Resale value is good *now*

I have owned Teslas that have depreciated 50% in 4 years (P85D)

Build quality on all 3 Teslas I have owned has been sub-par for a $30K vehicle. And I have paid upwards of $130K for these.

I bought mine. I've had my Model 3 for two years and I've had zero trouble, the only service that I've done are tire rotations. I had Tesla do the last rotation in my driveway, they came to me, cleaned and lubricated the brakes and rotated my tires.
DO NOT LEASE a Tesla. Tesla's lease deal is awful, there is no buy out clause you have to turn the car back at the end of the lease whether you want to or not.

Reactions: THXULTRA
1. Did you buy or lease?
Bought. Leasing rarely makes sense but that is a personal decision.
Yes especially now people are selling for more then they paid. Got a good resale value on my S when I got my performance.
Mine came perfect. Tesla's have wide panel gaps it is what it is. Didn't ever cause me a problem with my S. My Performance has been great so far.
No, you can get the side cameras to show while backing up to judge curbs etc. Also the driving display shows the cars around you which is really useful.

1. Did you buy or lease?
Bought. Leasing rarely makes sense but that is a personal decision.
Yes especially now people are selling for more then they paid. Got a good resale value on my S when I got my performance.
Mine came perfect. Tesla's have wide panel gaps it is what it is. Didn't ever cause me a problem with my S. My Performance has been great so far.
No, you can get the side cameras to show while backing up to judge curbs etc. Also the driving display shows the cars around you which is really useful.
Is the view good? It's really important feature because it's hard to see in busy parking lots sometimes.

When comparing the 3 and the Y, one factor I would consider is the rear window visibility. Even though the Model Y is an SUV and a bit larger overall, the rear view window is actually smaller than that of the Model 3. Before making a choice, I definitely recommend you test drive both and pay attention to the rear view visibility while driving each car.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
When comparing the 3 and the Y, one factor I would consider is the rear window visibility. Even though the Model Y is an SUV and a bit larger overall, the rear view window is actually smaller than that of the Model 3. Before making a choice, I definitely recommend you test drive both and pay attention to the rear view visibility while driving each car.
It's not just rear window. I use two side mirrors besides the rear window, and if I need to, I can turn on my rear camera, but that's almost distracting. Generally I just glance out the back window to see if the car I passed is still back there, and the return my concern to the front windshield. You don't need to be able to see their license plate number.

My first concern before getting an EV was to evaluate what charging options I had.

- There was no Superchargers near by, so I first used some public (and often free) L2 superchargers.

- The only draw back of using free L2 public chargers is that generally there is no way to know in advance if any of them are available.

- Finally I installed a plug in my garage, but there is now a free L2 charger less than a block from my home that I use instead.

I would recommend installing several EV charging Apps on your phone (ChargePoint, PlugShare, EVgo, Volta, Blink...) creates an account and make filters using J1772 and Tesla.

To find Tesla Superchargers use Tesla.com/findus and Supercharge.info/maps

Also A Better Route Planner can be a good way to localise charging options when travelling.

Last edited:
1. Purchased. Paid cash.

2. Excellent. Right now anyway.

3. Very good. Not quite Mercedes quality but all of the panels line up nicely. The paint is outstanding. Smooth as glass. I have a slight buzzy rattle from the rear deck on my M3 that I am going to fix myself. Otherwise, no squeaks or rattles. The best seats of any car I have ever owned. And I am 70 years old so quite a few cars.

4. No. At least not for now. I imagine it could be done in software as the cameras are all in place. I had it on my last two cars and don't really miss it as there are other ways to get that information. The only info I miss is where is the front park line at the grocery store.

I think all of your questions were answered, but I wanted to chime in on the 360 camera …

That was a concern for us, since both of our previous vehicles had 360 cams.

Was a little unhappy at first about not having them, but honestly don’t miss them one lick now.

Tesla enabled the side cameras now when you have the rear camera on (reversing etc) and to be frank, it’s all we need and then some. Gives me the visibility to make sure I’m well within a parking spot, and that’s really all I needed the 360 camera for.

Of course the 360 view is “better” … but the current situation is what I’d call “sufficient” to “good.”

Now, once Full Self Driving improvements roll over to auto park, this may all be moot. I’ll just let the car do the tricky spots.

Is the view good? It's really important feature because it's hard to see in busy parking lots sometimes.
The backup cam resolution is really good. It isn't as good as a 360 view but it is quite useable as well. I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. Kind of surprised Tesla doesn't do a 360 view with all the cameras around the car though. One thing no one has mentioned though is the sonar sensors are really good when you get close to something it gives a actual distance reading so you know just how close you are to things. This I found super useful.

Reactions: alexgr
Since there aren't too many electric cars and Tesla already has an established brand an network I am considering Tesla. I like a smaller car so I am thinking of the 3 or Y. I have a few questions for owners.

1. Did you buy or lease?
1. Buy
2. Likely good ... so, see #1
3. Good. Some misaligned trim revealed that my Acura's build quality is no better than Tesla's, but that was the only issue in 2+ years.
4. No, other than to hope for a long-overdue future update that has been promised a year ago or so.

My first concern before getting an EV was to evaluate what charging options I had.
In 2019, considering a massive TSLAQ FUD, my first concern was the financial soundness of the company, and I have studies Tesla's financial statements. I found it is a very solid and rapidly growing company.
... the purchase of a Tesla car was my big mistake!!! 👿
... if only I spent that money on buying Tesla stock. 🤑
... well, who knew ... so I am happy and I love my Tesla. 😍