Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering winter tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my winter tyres and PS4 eventually need to be replaced I have wondered if the new Crossclimate2 would be a strong enough performer in winter to make that choice. The big advantage would be to save swapping tyres over by leaving them on all year. I will be interested to know how you get on when real winter kicks in.

Given that you are still intending to swap tyres with the seasons I’m curious to know why you chose the CC2 over a winter tyre? Just as the PS4 is going to be a bit better in the summer a “proper” winter tyre would be expected to be better in the winter.
This is just my personal opinion and I did consider the full winter tyres but I just don’t think the climate where I am warrants it, I leave for work early about 6am and it can be a bit icy and for the 1 week a year it might be snowy I think the CC2 given the reviews will be more than adequate for my needs

Also changing back to my PS4’s is mainly just to get the use out of them when they are done I probably would just stick the the CC’s all year round. I did also consider selling them on but as being new from factory tyres with only 6mm of tread didn’t think I’d get too much and not worth the hassel.

Reactions: Adopado
I have a sceptical view of auto insurers — fast to take your money but may look for any basis to deny a claim (fortunately this is anecdotal and we are claims free). On a cold winter morning I wonder if being on a summer tyre that the manufacturer states is not for use in sub-5c conditions just gives an additional vector of attack?

Many good reasons to have the right tyres. This one’s a bit thin.

Reactions: pow216
This is just my personal opinion and I did consider the full winter tyres but I just don’t think the climate where I am warrants it, I leave for work early about 6am and it can be a bit icy and for the 1 week a year it might be snowy I think the CC2 given the reviews will be more than adequate for my needs

Yes, I think that's the dilemma for the UK and I will be interested to find out if the CC2 has claimed the prize ... here's hoping 🤞! The original version seems to have had some success but this new one is creating a bit of a buzz having improved all areas (from what you read). I would be happy to use them so long as they combine their general cold/wet performance with good ice/snow performance. Though we are not constantly battling through snow anywhere in the UK it would be good to feel confident that when we do get it these tyres come up to the mark. It's only over the past 2 winters that I have used full winter tyres and I have to admit that they have been a revelation (Goodyear Ultragrip) so my problem now is that I'm loath to reduce that great winter grip ... not just on snow/ice but on wet/damp salty road surfaces. I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that the Ultragrips are absolutely fine in warmer weather so I now realise that the potential for an all year tyre with great winter performance is really on the cards. Anyway, by the time I'm ready to need to buy tyres we will have loads of real life evidence from users. Some early info related to Tesla is if there is any noticeable range deterioration ... your problem in judging this is going to be the changing weather but if you do a longer journey in near comparable temperatures it would be interesting to know your thoughts. Once we get into proper winter the range is going to take its usual big hit so the comparison will not be feasible.

Test seem to suggest that the CC2 are good for snow, certainly what we have in the UK. I am swapping over onto the CC2 next week and plan to keep them on for their lifetime, keeping the PS4 for some future summer.
I have all seasons on my other 4WD and they were fine during the beast from the east!!!

Test seem to suggest that the CC2 are good for snow, certainly what we have in the UK. I am swapping over onto the CC2 next week and plan to keep them on for their lifetime, keeping the PS4 for some future summer.
I have all seasons on my other 4WD and they were fine during the beast from the east!!!

That's great to know we will have more people on the CC2 now. Real feedback from real usage is going to be invaluable.

Yes, I think that's the dilemma for the UK and I will be interested to find out if the CC2 has claimed the prize ... here's hoping 🤞! The original version seems to have had some success but this new one is creating a bit of a buzz having improved all areas (from what you read). I would be happy to use them so long as they combine their general cold/wet performance with good ice/snow performance. Though we are not constantly battling through snow anywhere in the UK it would be good to feel confident that when we do get it these tyres come up to the mark. It's only over the past 2 winters that I have used full winter tyres and I have to admit that they have been a revelation (Goodyear Ultragrip) so my problem now is that I'm loath to reduce that great winter grip ... not just on snow/ice but on wet/damp salty road surfaces. I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that the Ultragrips are absolutely fine in warmer weather so I now realise that the potential for an all year tyre with great winter performance is really on the cards. Anyway, by the time I'm ready to need to buy tyres we will have loads of real life evidence from users. Some early info related to Tesla is if there is any noticeable range deterioration ... your problem in judging this is going to be the changing weather but if you do a longer journey in near comparable temperatures it would be interesting to know your thoughts. Once we get into proper winter the range is going to take its usual big hit so the comparison will not be feasible.

Just had a rather quick scan of some climate data compiled by Sheffield University. Depending on what year you look at there are 4-5 months where the mean* temps are below 7C and that's the whole UK averaged. Scotland is going to be lower for longer. I've long been convinced that the latest generation of All Season tyres are a fantastic option for the UK climate in general with our mix of generally temperate summers, long periods of winter/spring around 5C and masses of wet weather.

There are some fantastic, extensive tests of CC2 (and other all season tyres) on Youtube by very professional outfits and I'm convinced that they (or something like Quadracs) are the way to go for minimum faff/maximum return.

If you live in the Highlands and need to get about regularly, you already know you need full winters and tbh probably have something like a LR Defender tucked away in a garage.

*presumably taken over a 24h period. Probably colder first thing in the morning or rush-hour after the sun's gone down in autumn/winter/early spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: pow216
Just had a rather quick scan of some climate data compiled by Sheffield University. Depending on what year you look at there are 4-5 months where the mean* temps are below 7C and that's the whole UK averaged. Scotland is going to be lower for longer. I've long been convinced that the latest generation of All Season tyres are a fantastic option for the UK climate in general with our mix of generally temperate summers, long periods of winter/spring around 5C and masses of wet weather.

I was quite surprised at the number of cold days there really are. Since I got the car last December I've driven on 54 days when the temps were below the magic 7C and that's in the warm West of Scotland. There were plenty of days that we didn't drive because it was too icy or snowy.

My mother in law is in the (real) North East and is getting more frail. I know we'll be driving up there a lot more often, hence I think it's more prudent for me to get proper winter tyres and not have to worry about grip.

Other people's driving patterns and local weather will be different hence their choice of tyre may be different.

Another vote for Michelin CC tyres.

On the Morgan +8, 375bhp, LSD but NO traction or stability control I have a set of 18" wheels with CC tyres, they go on in November to replace the PS4 S tyres and stay on until the end of April.
On the AMG C43 (AWD) we have a set of wheels with full winter tyres, they go on in the same way.
When the M3LR tyres need changing I plan to have CCs fitted.

Living in S Wilts one may question why? We live on an unadopted, unsurfaced road on a hill. Any frost or snow and getting up the hill used to be a challenge. The C43 is fully controllable on packed snow, it will be interesting to see what traction the Tesla has under the same conditions.
The Morgan? An added layer of protection for cold, wet days. I don't take it out in snow...!!

Remember, the only real cost of winter tyres are the new wheels, because the summer and winter tyres last twice as long as a single set of tyres.

In both cases the insurance company has been notified.

Reactions: init6
In both cases the insurance company has been notified.

Most don’t for private use so long as the tyre size/weight/speed spec remains factory - I’ll see if I can find the list (from the UK insurers association) with who is who but pretty much every main insurance company is on the list not requiring notifications. Using non standard rims might even if spec is the same but that will need a double check with the insurers.

Edit - here’s the list https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets...nter-tyres-the-motor-insurance-commitment.pdf

Averages like this are not actually a great practical guide in this instance. If you generally leave the house in the early morning, for a commute for example, you are not going to be at average temperature. You will find that sub 7 degree temperatures are very common across the country. Having said that I completely agree that a good all season should be the answer for the vast majority of us. (BTW you may be surprised to learn that fitting winter tyres is a rarity even in Scotland!)

Averages like this are not actually a great practical guide in this instance. If you generally leave the house in the early morning, for a commute for example, you are not going to be at average temperature. You will find that sub 7 degree temperatures are very common across the country.
If you've got Teslamate you can easily check what your driving temps have been. I took the data above from when I was driving rather than just the outside temps for that day. Quite surprised at how often they were so low even in the balmy West. Goodness knows what it was like in the Blue Toon.

Reactions: s88ats and Adopado
Averages like this are not actually a great practical guide in this instance. If you generally leave the house in the early morning, for a commute for example, you are not going to be at average temperature. You will find that sub 7 degree temperatures are very common across the country. Having said that I completely agree that a good all season should be the answer for the vast majority of us. (BTW you may be surprised to learn that fitting winter tyres is a rarity even in Scotland!)
I thought I'd qualified it pretty thoroughly, including that exact point about journey times.

Reactions: s88ats and Adopado
Most don’t for private use so long as the tyre size/weight/speed spec remains factory - I’ll see if I can find the list (from the UK insurers association) with who is who but pretty much every main insurance company is on the list not requiring notifications. Using non standard rims might even if spec is the same but that will need a double check with the insurers.

Edit - here’s the list https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets...nter-tyres-the-motor-insurance-commitment.pdf
Thanks, good to see that list.

Reactions: MrBadger
01C10A64-327C-487D-B1AD-4B6C97A5CF64.jpeg
CC2 tyres installed by mobile fitter last weekend. No issue and even cleaned the glue off the old balancing weights.
I have not done a lot of driving with the new tyres, but they feel very similar to the PS4, maybe a bit softer and even quieter, but this might be down to the roads I was travelling on. Differences will be during spirited driving, but for me makes no difference, bar the assurance that the car should be able to cope with the local winter conditions and I can just forget about tyres for the next couple of years. Still have the PS4s which all have foam in them for some future summer.

Attachments

• 2264CDA9-7ADC-4CCA-AB65-2D4154A4AC40.jpeg
    2264CDA9-7ADC-4CCA-AB65-2D4154A4AC40.jpeg
    824.8 KB · Views: 39
CC2 tyres installed by mobile fitter last weekend. No issue and even cleaned the glue off the old balancing weights.
I have not done a lot of driving with the new tyres, but they feel very similar to the PS4, maybe a bit softer and even quieter, but this might be down to the roads I was travelling on. Differences will be during spirited driving, but for me makes no difference, bar the assurance that the car should be able to cope with the local winter conditions and I can just forget about tyres for the next couple of years. Still have the PS4s which all have foam in them for some future summer.
I'll be interested in any range impact observations ... going to be difficult though due to drop in temperatures.

I'll be interested in any range impact observations ... going to be difficult though due to drop in temperatures.
I’ve had mine on 10 days now and I agree they seem slightly quieter and softer than the PS4’s.

As for any impact on efficiency and range it is hard to say as all last week I was driving in heavy rain mostly but I would say the hit is very small if any. On my usual commute return trip I would use about 13-14% of battery in my 2021MiC LR. The last week it was 15% so more but factor in the awful weather and it’s not bad. The efficiency reported by the car was 210 kWh/mile on the PS4’s and last week was about 225kWh/mile on the CC2’s in bad weather.

I have PS4S on my Morgan Plus 8 in the summer and CC1s for the winter.
The CCs are quieter and slightly more compliant, but possibly because the PD4S atr on 19" rims and the CCCs on 18. Fuel consumption is unchanged... So I'd expect much the same on the Tesla.

When the PS tyres need replacing I'll go CC for all year.

I’ve had mine on 10 days now and I agree they seem slightly quieter and softer than the PS4’s.

As for any impact on efficiency and range it is hard to say as all last week I was driving in heavy rain mostly but I would say the hit is very small if any. On my usual commute return trip I would use about 13-14% of battery in my 2021MiC LR. The last week it was 15% so more but factor in the awful weather and it’s not bad. The efficiency reported by the car was 210 kWh/mile on the PS4’s and last week was about 225kWh/mile on the CC2’s in bad weather.
^ this. The effect of cold and bad weather on efficiency at this time of year will dwarf any range reduction that might be due to the different tyres. I had one winter on the PS4s, and I was surprised at the effect of cold on efficiency. I didn't notice any difference with the CC2s last winter.

Reactions: Adopado
CC2 tyres installed by mobile fitter last weekend.

They look to give a bit more protection to the rims too? I think our Winters do that too.

I'll be watching the CC2 discussion with interest as we have summers and winter sets and this time of year is a bit of a tough call as to when to fit. Well below the 7C this morning so had wished I had swapped to winters already, but some long wet runs over the weekend where it was well into summer tyres. I'm planning the switch over some time this week.

But going forward, having a set of CC2 available looks like a nice option especially Nov and March/Apr time when variable temperature extremes. But will they be to replace the PS4's (?) or the Sottozeros? On a steep hill with snow for a few days every 2-3 years, I would be loathed to get rid of full winters.