Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant "camera is blocked" message?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello has any one spoke to tesla about the constant message at night,(cameras may be blocked blinded). tesla remotely connected to my car twice.and say they are OK, I have complained that the cameras are not fit for purpose.

Then the final message I get off them take it to the garage, if nothing is wrong I will be charged.Apparently this normal for cameras to show this message constantly at night or dusk.

Hello has any one spoke to tesla about the constant message at night,(cameras may be blocked blinded). tesla remotely connected to my car twice.and say they are OK, I have complained that the cameras are not fit for purpose.

Then the final message I get off them take it to the garage, if nothing is wrong I will be charged.Apparently this normal for cameras to show this message constantly at night or dusk.

Older Tesla cars not equipped with infrared lights in the cabin might have difficulty in working correctly in the dark.

Those that have them should not have such a problem. See the Sentry Mode Live View from a newer 2023 Model Y in complete darkness:

bo29wtlre87a1.jpg

Photo: jyim89

M
Has this been the same problem when you first got your car?

This is not normal. Outside cameras should work in complete darkness as long as the outside lights work, the weather is clear, and your cameras are clean.
This is normal according to SC on my March 22 MYLR. The SC said there isn’t anything that can be done. I live in a rural area with no street lights. All cameras are disabled/obstructed, emergency braking disabled and auto wipers don’t work etc.

Doesn’t make a difference if it’s a clear night, even with a full moon. I gave up complaining.

M

This is normal according to SC on my March 22 MYLR. The SC said there isn’t anything that can be done. I live in a rural area with no street lights. All cameras are disabled/obstructed, emergency braking disabled and auto wipers don’t work etc.

Doesn’t make a difference if it’s a clear night, even with a full moon. I gave up complaining.
Those pictures are fine in a dark night. There's no thick fog, no heavy rain... The cameras can pick up lights from its own cars.

There should be no errors from those pictures.

The issues you described should be fixed. It is not normal. I hope your locality has a good consumer protection avenue: You need it.

...arrogant...
It is just like a cult: Youtubers keep praising how much things are improved, although Tesla Robotaxi is nowhere to be seen while radar and sonars are dropped, and such unacceptable service like you are reporting.

Arrogance has gotten it rich so far. It's hard to change if it's been working so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niroc
Our car used to give something like this when driving next to a blank gray wall in broad daylight. The AP is looking for something moving within the camera video. An unlighted black night, a featureless cement barrier, or a smooth garage wall would cause problems this. We haven't had this problem recently. Usually it reads as one or more camera appears to be blocked, so just looking at one of the videos doesn't prove anything. In our case it was the left repeater camera watching a gray barrier that caused the problem. Driving down the freeway in the left lane we got the warning (and AP shutdown) when the barrier was high. When its height was lower AP came back again. This happened often enough to notice what was happening. That would have to be a software fix.

Those pictures are fine in a dark night. There's no thick fog, no heavy rain... The cameras can pick up lights from its own cars.

There should be no errors from those pictures.

The issues you described should be fixed. It is not normal. I hope your locality has a good consumer protection avenue: You need it.
No way to escalate. If you read the small print their auto wipers, auto lights and pretty much everything else related to software is BETA.

They pointed it out to me several times.

No way to escalate. If you read the small print their auto wipers, auto lights and pretty much everything else related to software is BETA.

They pointed it out to me several times.
Beta is different from being defective.

Tesla Beta cameras are designed to pick up lights from its own cars.

My Tesla cars have been doing that in a moonless night with no other lights except the cars' own lights for the past 6 years and my cars are Beta.

If any Tesla Beta cars can't do that then they are defective.

Beta cannot mean unsafe for the roads. If Beta emergency braking is not working at night (message 7) then that's a regulation violation. That needs to be escalated to regulatory agency to enforce a recall.

Or pitch black night in rural country, no street lights.

All normal behaviour and within spec.
I've noticed this quite a bit - i live in a semi-rural area where streets lights are hard to come by - noticed that my 21 M3 SR+ often says the left door camera is blocked when its too dark outside. Luckily I don't do a lot of night time driving so I can probably live with it, but a real shame as getting constant alerts on the dash makes you wonder if you've a defective car....

I've noticed this quite a bit - i live in a semi-rural area where streets lights are hard to come by - noticed that my 21 M3 SR+ often says the left door camera is blocked when its too dark outside. Luckily I don't do a lot of night time driving so I can probably live with it, but a real shame as getting constant alerts on the dash makes you wonder if you've a defective car....
If I could turn off the alerts it would stop me checking each time, that would be nice.