Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consumer AV - Status Tracking Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other question is how serious are the interventions? That matters. Are they small issues that are not safety critical or are they serious safety issues that would have caused a collision? If the MTBF of 10 miles you quote is for all "issues", even minor ones, that is very different from saying SV would likely cause a crash on average every 10 miles.
Just like with Tesla FSD, I only count safety disengagement that would likely lead to an accident or a severe breaking of road laws that could potentially lead to an accident.

Here is a very recent example of a safety disengagement that I would count. Also in this is the robotic loop like (lane change...abort...lane change...abort) behavior I previously talked about.

I have seen it do alot more, like not stop for a street cleaner, not stop for a cone ahead while attempting to lane change. Slowing down to a complete stop to change three lanes to not miss an exit, using invalid lanes including gore point lane to lane change. Lane changing into a very fast upcoming car from behind.

Some of these issues may have already been fixed and my hope is that they fix all of this issues.
I just have a hard time believing that SV on highways is THAT bad, that it is actually requiring serious interventions on average every 10 miles. I mean, that MTBF is worse than FSD beta on highways. Are you saying FSD beta is better than SuperVision on highways?
Even if you triple it and say its ~30 miles/safety disengagement. And don't get me wrong. If you're at night with little to no traffic then you can easily rack up 30+ miiles without a safety disengagement. Its only when there's good amount of traffic does issues appear. Its still a far cry from L4.

About comparing, It's hard to compare without having both running similar roads/traffic.

However SV has this issue with REM map where it errors out and kicks back to LCC. So FSD beta 11 on highways would be better in that sense since it doesn't have these map error issues.

However overall we can't tell which is better until FSD Beta comes to China or SuperVision comes to the US or both show up to the EU.
Then can we be definitive.

But remember if we are talking about SV52 (Duo EyeQ5 which is 30 Tops). FSD Beta which is using 144 TOPS should beat it since they are both camera based systems. If it doesn't that's more on FSD Beta.

Just like with Tesla FSD, I only count safety disengagement that would likely lead to an accident or a severe breaking of road laws that could potentially lead to an accident.

Here is a very recent example of a safety disengagement that I would count. Also in this is the robotic loop like (lane change...abort...lane change...abort) behavior I previously talked about.

I have seen it do alot more, like not stop for a street cleaner, not stop for a cone ahead while attempting to lane change. Slowing down to a complete stop to change three lanes to not miss an exit, using invalid lanes including gore point lane to lane change. Lane changing into a very fast upcoming car from behind.

Thanks. That is helpful info.

Those interventions seem to be mostly planning/driving policy errors. I think that ME will need to really work on the planning stack. I agree with you that a ML-first planner will likely be needed to solve those planner based interventions.

Even if you triple it and say its ~30 miles/safety disengagement. And don't get me wrong. If you're at night with little to no traffic then you can easily rack up 30+ miiles without a safety disengagement. Its only when there's good amount of traffic does issues appear. Its still a far cry from L4.

Fair point. I guess the counter argument would be that SuperVision is not designed to be L4. ME knows the MTBF is not good enough for L4. That is why it is an "eyes on" system. Chauffeur is the system that is designed to be L4. So we would need to know the MTBF of Chauffeur to see if it is good enough for L4. On the other hand, Chaffeur has the same driving policy as SuperVision so if the failures are mostly planning and not perception, Chauffeur's MTBF might not be all that better than SuperVision.

About comparing, It's hard to compare without having both running similar roads/traffic.

However SV has this issue with REM map where it errors out and kicks back to LCC. So FSD beta 11 on highways would be better in that sense since it doesn't have these map error issues.

Of course, FSD beta could have errors that SV does not have. So yeah, we would need to compare the two to really see if one is better than the other.

But remember if we are talking about SV52 (Duo EyeQ5 which is 30 Tops). FSD Beta which is using 144 TOPS should beat it since they are both camera based systems.

That might be an oversimplification since ME's camera vision is very different from Tesla's camera vision. For example, ME boasts multiple redundancies inside their vision perception stack that Tesla does not employ. So ME's camera vision might be better than Tesla's Vision even though it uses less TOPS. I don't think you can judge based on just TOPS.

See the Polestar 4 with Mobileye tech at CES:

The Polestar 4 looks very stylish and techy IMO. Replacing the rear window entirely with a rear camera is bold.

Side note, I like how the side repeater cameras on the Polestar 4 are more integrated into the body of the car. The build quality looks better than my Model 3. The side repeater cameras on my Model 3 look like they could fall off. lol. Not really but they are slightly loose. You can see a mm of space between the casing and the body of the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
@Bladerskb We were discussing Mobileye SuperVision MTBF. In this new interview, Shai says that SuperVision MTBF is around 50 hours.

Shai does not mention ODD. So to be fair, we don't know if that is the MTBF from their testing across highways and city streets, highways only, city streets only or MTBF from consumer deployment in Zeekr's on Chinese highways. But at highway speeds that would be a MTBF of about 3,500 miles. That is far better than your suggested MTBF of 10 miles. Although, 50 hours is much better than Tesla FSD beta's MTBF.

Having said that, a MTBF of 50 hours is still a very long way from eyes-off. Shai says that eyes-off requires a MTBF in the "millions of hours". Personally, I am extremely skeptical that Mobileye can go from "50 hours" to "millions of hours" by simply adding radar/lidar redundancy as they claim. That does not sound realistic. As you said, Mobileye will likely need to make big architectural changes like going to a ML first planner etc...

But overall, I am glad Shai disclosed the current SuperVision MTBF. Now, we finally have an actual stat we can discuss rather than speculate.

I know Shashua has also mentioned that a MTBF of 100 hours would be excellent for an eyes-on system. So Mobileye only needs to double their current MTBF to achieve that. I do wonder about driver complacency. I know good camera based driver monitoring will help ensure the driver is paying attention. But I think once you get into the hundreds of hours per intervention, especially on boring highway driving, it will be really hard for the driver to know when to expect an intervention. So the driver might be technically alert but not expecting an intervention since it has been so long since the last one.

Reactions: edseloh
GM Super Cruise map update.

Old 400K miles

GM-Super-Cruise-map-before.jpg

New 750K miles

GM-Super-Cruise-map-After.jpg

Reactions: diplomat33
@Bladerskb We were discussing Mobileye SuperVision MTBF. In this new interview, Shai says that SuperVision MTBF is around 50 hours.

Shai does not mention ODD. So to be fair, we don't know if that is the MTBF from their testing across highways and city streets, highways only, city streets only or MTBF from consumer deployment in Zeekr's on Chinese highways. But at highway speeds that would be a MTBF of about 3,500 miles. That is far better than your suggested MTBF of 10 miles. Although, 50 hours is much better than Tesla FSD beta's MTBF.

Having said that, a MTBF of 50 hours is still a very long way from eyes-off. Shai says that eyes-off requires a MTBF in the "millions of hours". Personally, I am extremely skeptical that Mobileye can go from "50 hours" to "millions of hours" by simply adding radar/lidar redundancy as they claim. That does not sound realistic. As you said, Mobileye will likely need to make big architectural changes like going to a ML first planner etc...

But overall, I am glad Shai disclosed the current SuperVision MTBF. Now, we finally have an actual stat we can discuss rather than speculate.

I know Shashua has also mentioned that a MTBF of 100 hours would be excellent for an eyes-on system. So Mobileye only needs to double their current MTBF to achieve that. I do wonder about driver complacency. I know good camera based driver monitoring will help ensure the driver is paying attention. But I think once you get into the hundreds of hours per intervention, especially on boring highway driving, it will be really hard for the driver to know when to expect an intervention. So the driver might be technically alert but not expecting an intervention since it has been so long since the last one.
Wait so ignore the MTBF based loosely on video footage from their only deployment in China and instead go with a PR marketing number with ZERO basis?
You honestly believe they have a safety disengagement once every 3-4 months on the highway? Come on...

Wait so ignore the MTBF based loosely on video footage from their only deployment in China and instead go with a PR marketing number with ZERO basis?
You honestly believe they have a safety disengagement once every 3-4 months on the highway? Come on...

Not sure where you are getting 3-4 months from. 50 hours is a little over 2 days, not 3-4 months. Maybe you are assuming 30 hours of driving per day which would make 50 hours of driving stretch over 3-4 months? But if so, it is pretty misleading to just change the statistic like that.

But let's look at what Shai said. He is asked specifically what the state of the art, good, MTBF is. He replies:

"MTBF, mean time between failure. So to give you some statistics, currently, we are around 50 hours. Meaning you can drive 50 hours without intervention. And this was done, not by us, by people who evaluated."

The truth is I don't know if the 50 hours number is accurate. I am just presenting what Shai said. He leaves a lot out. He does not specify the ODD, he does not define intervention and he does not mention who performed this evaluation or how they performed it. We have every right to be skeptical. Yes, Shai's number could be total BS. Although, if he wanted to give a BS number for PR, I would have thought he would have picked a higher number that makes SuperVision look good. 50 hours is actually a pretty low number that does not make SuperVision look very good. That's terrible PR. So if he is BS'ing, he did a pretty poor job. Also, he was specifically asked about the state-of-the-art or good MTBF. 50 hours is neither state-of-the-art, nor good MTBF!

But on the other side, you know as well as anyone that videos can be cherry picked. Yes, the videos show disengagements but they don't show the possibly hours of zero intervention drives. It is impossible to get a statistically accurate MTBF rate from watching a few videos. Lastly, I am sure you also know that interventions depend a lot on the ODD and driving conditions. You yourself reminded me that the MTBF is an average. Perhaps when taking the average of all the "empty miles" with high MTBF and the congested miles with low MTBF, the average does come to about 50 hours?

Last edited:
Not sure where you are getting 3-4 months from. 50 hours is a little over 2 days, not 3-4 months. Maybe you are assuming 30 hours of driving per day which would make 50 hours of driving stretch over 3-4 months? But if so, it is pretty misleading to just change the statistic like that.
No I'm using the figure you used represented in daily driving. Because reminder, these videos are made of daily driving. This includes Mobileye supervision videos in China and Tesla FSD videos in the US/CA. The statistic you gave was "But at highway speeds that would be a MTBF of about 3,500 miles.". Which if someone drove around 30 miles on the highway each day, that would be 116 days (3-4 months).

Now if we used hours which may be more accurate. If someone drove around 30 mins on the highway each day. That would be around 100 days.
Again around 3 months.
Yes, Shai's number could be total BS. Although, if he wanted to give a BS number for PR, I would have thought he would have picked a higher number that makes SuperVision look good. 50 hours is actually a pretty low number that does not make SuperVision look very good. That's terrible PR. So if he is BS'ing, he did a pretty poor job. Also, he was specifically asked about the state-of-the-art or good MTBF. 50 hours is neither state-of-the-art, nor good MTBF!
What do you mean? 50 hours would be good. 50 hours WOULD be state of the art, this is why the interviewer was shocked. Remember we are talking about daily use. Remember people drive 30-60 mins give or take per day, not 50 hours straight. So going a month or more without no safety disengagement is HUGE and is a step in the right direction.
But on the other side, you know as well as anyone that videos can be cherry picked. Yes, the videos show disengagements but they don't show the possibly hours of zero intervention drives. It is impossible to get a statistically accurate MTBF rate from watching a few videos. Lastly, I am sure you also know that interventions depend a lot on the ODD and driving conditions. You yourself reminded me that the MTBF is an average. Perhaps when taking the average of all the "empty miles" with high MTBF and the congested miles with low MTBF, the average does come to about 50 hours?
I don't bias my opinions positively towards Waymo, Mobileye and negatively towards Tesla.
I use the exact same criteria, If I used the criteria you just outlined, I would be doing the exact same things that Tesla fanatics were doing the first 1-2 years of Tesla FSD, when they were claiming the average safety disengagement miles were 500-1000 miles, when it was actually 1-5 miles. As they disregarded every single video that were posted.

I watch as many videos as I can and read user reviews and come to an informed conclusion.
I have done the same with Tesla, Waymo, Cruise, Mobileye, Aptiv/Motional, etc.

The same way I came to the conclusion that comfort-wise Mobileye's EyeQ5 based supervision on the highway is worse than v11.
Its right there clear as day in the videos.

I think you will be shocked when you use supervision in the US (if its even released before 2027), that its way way way worse than you imagined. That it has all the same problems of Tesla FSD.

No I'm using the figure you used represented in daily driving. Because reminder, these videos are made of daily driving. This includes Mobileye supervision videos in China and Tesla FSD videos in the US/CA. The statistic you gave was "But at highway speeds that would be a MTBF of about 3,500 miles.". Which if someone drove around 30 miles on the highway each day, that would be 116 days (3-4 months).

Thanks. I get now that you are converting the 3,500 miles into the time it would take for a human to drive that far, given normal daily driving, but for consistency, I prefer to stick with the 50 hours number.

What do you mean? 50 hours would be good. 50 hours WOULD be state of the art, this is why the interviewer was shocked. Remember we are talking about daily use. Remember people drive 30-60 mins give or take per day, not 50 hours straight. So going a month or more without no safety disengagement is HUGE and is a step in the right direction.

I agree that 50 hours would be good for an eyes-on system. Shashua even said that a MTBF of 100 hours for an eyes-on system would be amazing. But in this interview with Brad Templeton 2 years ago, Shashua claimed that their vision MTBF would be "well above 1000 hours MTBF" by the end of that year. 50 hours is a long way from their stated target of 1000 hours. That is why I thought it was bad since it is so far from their stated goal.

By the way, I do appreciate the videos. Thanks.

The videos show mostly disengagements due to merging in dense traffic. So it seems SuperVision struggles with lane changes in dense traffic which is not that surprising since that is a very difficult driving task to do safely.

Based on the videos, I would not say that the safety disengagement is once every 3-4 months. But those videos are edited compilations of interventions. They don't tell us how long SuperVision can go in between interventions. So the videos don't tell us the MTBF. Also, some of those disengagements might not have been necessary. I know I frequently disengage FSD beta even though FSD beta probably could have handled it safely, but because I can drive better and I get impatient. So not all those interventions would necessarily count in the MTBF.

I think you will be shocked when you use supervision in the US (if its even released before 2027), that its way way way worse than you imagined. That it has all the same problems of Tesla FSD.

I hope I get a chance to test drive SuperVision to see for myself. But since it will be a few years before SuperVision is available in the US, a lot could change. SuperVision might get better in the next 2-3 years. Maybe FSD beta gets better in the next 2-3 years. Or maybe another system is better. When I am in the market for a new car, I will carefully compare and get the EV that works for me with the best ADS.

I hope I get a chance to test drive SuperVision to see for myself. But since it will be a few years before SuperVision is available in the US, a lot could change. SuperVision might get better in the next 2-3 years. Maybe FSD beta gets better in the next 2-3 years. Or maybe another system is better. When I am in the market for a new car, I will carefully compare and get the EV that works for me with the best ADS.
SuperVision 1.0 (SV52) has a hard limit due to its compute being 30 tops. Because of that its unable to leverage recent advancements in NN/ML. Its that simple. Even now mobileye is still failing to deliver city SV in one city in china. There is about 37 days before Q1 is over and there hasn't been any "Initial deployments". Think about it, after all the hyping Mobileye has done since late 2019 about them being ready to deliver door to door everywhere. They won't even be able to deliver that until sometime close to 2025 (Q4 2024/Q1 2025). And that would just be in a single city at first and not the promised "everyway".

So when people talk about MTBF and chauffeur, I'm like have you seen mobileye's track record in recent times? no real chauffeur is coming from them this decade. I would put more stock in Tesla having a real chauffeur with HW4+ than mobileye delivering one due to mobileye's track record. You say why? Atleast Tesla has to compute and can always try to implement the latest NN inventions from Google, etc. While Mobileye has a hard-limit on what they can do due to their compute constraints.

SuperVision 1.0 (SV52) has a hard limit due to its compute being 30 tops. Because of that its unable to leverage recent advancements in NN/ML. Its that simple. Even now mobileye is still failing to deliver city SV in one city in china. There is about 37 days before Q1 is over and there hasn't been any "Initial deployments". Think about it, after all the hyping Mobileye has done since late 2019 about them being ready to deliver door to door everywhere. They won't even be able to deliver that until sometime close to 2025 (Q4 2024/Q1 2025). And that would just be in a single city at first and not the promised "everyway".

So when people talk about MTBF and chauffeur, I'm like have you seen mobileye's track record in recent times? no real chauffeur is coming from them this decade. I would put more stock in Tesla having a real chauffeur with HW4+ than mobileye delivering one due to mobileye's track record. You say why? Atleast Tesla has to compute and can always try to implement the latest NN inventions from Google, etc. While Mobileye has a hard-limit on what they can do due to their compute constraints.

SV was never designed to be anything more than eyes-on, L2. ME is not claiming that the 30 TOPS will do anything more than L2. IMO, SV really just needs to be at the level of early FSD beta with an attentive human driver. Can it do that? Maybe.

And I see no reason ME could not decide to do SV 2.0 or 3.0 with more TOPS by adding extra eyeQ5 or eyeQ6 chips. So yes, SV 1.0 is currently limited to 30 TOPS but that does not mean that SV will always be limited to 30 TOPS. Heck, when the eyeQ7H chip comes out, ME could do SV with just 1 eyeQ7H and double the TOPS of the current SV!

Chauffeur is designed to be the eyes-off system and it will have a lot more TOPS and more sensors than SV. Chauffeur will use 3-4 eyeQ6H according to their marketing material. If true that would be a total TOPS of 102-136, way more than the 30 TOPS of SV 1.0. I believe that is in the same ballpark of Tesla's HW3 computer. Now, I am not saying that Chauffeur (CH) will work. Maybe CH will totally suck. But the fact is that CH will have way more TOPS than SV. It is not hard limited to 30 TOPS. And if Tesla can do V12 end-to-end NN on HW3 with about 130 TOPS, then surely ME could do some more advanced NN/ML with 136 TOPS as well. We will see.

Also, in that interview, Shai mentions that Chauffeur will be valuable because it will give people eyes-off in highway traffic jams. This strongly suggests that the initial version of Chauffeur will be a low speed traffic jam, L3 system. So no, Chauffeur won't be L4 or eyes off everywhere. I have no illusions there. Can CH with ~100-130 TOPS, cameras, radar and lidar, do traffic jam L3? Probably.

I am very skeptical that ME can achieve the kind of MTBF numbers that they are talking about in their marketing material. Yes, SV on city streets will likely be delayed and yes CH will likely start as a neutered L3. I am certainly not suggesting that ME will solve L4 or have eyes-off everywhere, any time soon. I agree with you that ME will need to leverage the more recent advances in NN/ML. But I don't agree that they have a hard limit on their compute. The NIO ET7 uses the Orin chip and it boasts 1000 TOPS. There are other Chinese EVs that use Orin and have TOPS in the 500-1000 range. So there are OEMs using more compute in their EVs. So I doubt OEMs are placing a hard limit of 30 TOPS on ME. And ME is not placing a hard limit of 30 TOPS on themselves since they are already plans to use way more TOPS for Chauffeur and Drive and will likely use more TOPS when they need to. Lastly, ME has the eyeQ7H chip with 67 TOPS to start production in 2027 according to the marketing material. If that happens, ME could put 3-4 eyeQ7H chips in future vehicles and easily do more than 136 TOPS. So I don't think there is a hard limit to compute that will prevent ME from leveraging more advanced NN/ML. If ME fails to leverage more advanced NN/ML, it will be an intentional design choice on their part, not any hard limit that I can see.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Mobileye CTO Shai Shalev-Shwartz responded to my question about Mobileye's MTBF of 50 hours:

In MTBF we count safety interventions, for the current in-production system. ODD is highways, on-ramp, off-ramp, and major roads. The system is capable of driving in deep urban as well, but urban ODD is still not in production.

This means that the 50 hours is the average time between safety interventions of the in-production SuperVision system from on-ramp to off-ramp highways and major roads, excluding city streets.

SV was never designed to be anything more than eyes-on, L2. ME is not claiming that the 30 TOPS will do anything more than L2. IMO, SV really just needs to be at the level of early FSD beta with an attentive human driver. Can it do that? Maybe.
I’m aware of that, I was pointing out specifically that SV1.0 has a very low ceiling limit due to its 30tops and the first version of SV that might show up in the US might be 1.0. So it’s almost certainly going to be inferior to FSD Beta.
And I see no reason ME could not decide to do SV 2.0 or 3.0 with more TOPS by adding extra eyeQ5 or eyeQ6 chips. So yes, SV 1.0 is currently limited to 30 TOPS but that does not mean that SV will always be limited to 30 TOPS. Heck, when the eyeQ7H chip comes out, ME could do SV with just 1 eyeQ7H and double the TOPS of the current SV!
Yes there’s already a SV 2.0 coming in VW/Porsche cars using 2x EyeQ6 (68 Tops apparently)

Chauffeur is designed to be the eyes-off system and it will have a lot more TOPS and more sensors than SV. Chauffeur will use 3-4 eyeQ6H according to their marketing material. If true that would be a total TOPS of 102-136, way more than the 30 TOPS of SV 1.0. I believe that is in the same ballpark of Tesla's HW3 computer. Now, I am not saying that Chauffeur (CH) will work. Maybe CH will totally suck. But the fact is that CH will have way more TOPS than SV. It is not hard limited to 30 TOPS. And if Tesla can do V12 end-to-end NN on HW3 with about 130 TOPS, then surely ME could do some more advanced NN/ML with 136 TOPS as well. We will see.
My main issue is that Mobileye isn’t focusing on SOTA algorithms or NN architectures, but rather legacy models including CNNs, etc.

We know that the only proof point we have of a generalized L4 cars are using very high compute (hundreds of TOPs if not up to or over 1k) and latest and greatest NN.

Especially heavy prediction network and ML based driving policy. These are very compute intensive and are the only method that has worked.

The issue is that mobileye WONT do an end to end model, or heavy ML in prediction and driving policy. That’s is the problem. This is exactly why they have been unable to produce a L4 car even though they started around when Cruise started.

Also, in that interview, Shai mentions that Chauffeur will be valuable because it will give people eyes-off in highway traffic jams. This strongly suggests that the initial version of Chauffeur will be a low speed traffic jam, L3 system.
I’m glad you caught that, the back pedaling has already started. Remember they were against traffic jams and saying it wasn’t useful in their marketing presentations.
So no, Chauffeur won't be L4 or eyes off everywhere. I have no illusions there.
Yet this is what they promoted 2 years ago.
Can CH with ~100-130 TOPS, cameras, radar and lidar, do traffic jam L3? Probably.

I am very skeptical that ME can achieve the kind of MTBF numbers that they are talking about in their marketing material. Yes, SV on city streets will likely be delayed and yes CH will likely start as a neutered L3. I am certainly not suggesting that ME will solve L4 or have eyes-off everywhere, any time soon. I agree with you that ME will need to leverage the more recent advances in NN/ML. But I don't agree that they have a hard limit on their compute. The NIO ET7 uses the Orin chip and it boasts 1000 TOPS. There are other Chinese EVs that use Orin and have TOPS in the 500-1000 range. So there are OEMs using more compute in their EVs. So I doubt OEMs are placing a hard limit of 30 TOPS on ME. And ME is not placing a hard limit of 30 TOPS on themselves since they are already plans to use way more TOPS for Chauffeur and Drive and will likely use more TOPS when they need to. Lastly, ME has the eyeQ7H chip with 67 TOPS to start production in 2027 according to the marketing material. If that happens, ME could put 3-4 eyeQ7H chips in future vehicles and easily do more than 136 TOPS. So I don't think there is a hard limit to compute that will prevent ME from leveraging more advanced NN/ML. If ME fails to leverage more advanced NN/ML, it will be an intentional design choice on their part, not any hard limit that I can see.

Mobileye places a hard limit on themselves because their entire business model is to sell chips for literally acouple dollars(I believe eyeq3 was like around ~$15 and eyeq4 around ~$40). Nvidia on the other hand sells expensive chips for acouple hundred dollars. The 4x Orin is probably costing NIO around $2,000 give or take.

Mobileye can’t sell huge chips for that much, they are basically trapped by their own success. Because most of their customers just want basic adas.

This is why EyeQ5 went from 24 tops to 15 tops. By making small chips and different variants (low, mid and high). It would meet the needs of all their OEM customers. Think about it, the only one using a EyeQ5H chip right now is Zeekr and more recently Polestar 4 in china. Every one else EyeQ5 low or mid.

And since Mobileye decided not to go for huge powerful chips like nvidia did, they lost all the potential customers that want a huge powerful chip to run custom latest and greatest AI to Nvidia and Qualcomm.

But again my biggest problem with Mobileye. Take a look at their recent CES presentations, nothing new, no use of new AI systems and just a bunch of back pedaling. The thing about back pedaling is that it makes you play catchup. Look at Tesla and how they started focusing on simulation late. Same thing happened with Mobileye, did you see their simulation? It looks so primitive compared to other L4 sdc companies. This is what I mean by there’s just no way.

They too were against simulation at one point. Now they are on the simulation train, but they are so behind, others have moved to simulation 2.0 and 3.0. While they are trying to scrap together a simulation 1.0 video game graphics system.

One day they will realize that prediction network is needed and driving policy needs to be 50-75%+ ML. But again once they do they will yet again be playing catchup on that front.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
The issue is that mobileye WONT do an end to end model, or heavy ML in prediction and driving policy. That’s is the problem.

This is my main concern as well. ME seems to be betting that they can pull off a low cost L4 without it. And you might be able to do a very poor L4 without heavy ML but all the evidence suggests you need SOTA NN and heavy ML in prediction and planning if you want to achieve high performance/reliability in L4. I do hope ME will change their mind on that before it is too late.

We know that the only proof point we have of a generalized L4 cars are using very high compute (hundreds of TOPs if not up to or over 1k) and latest and greatest NN.

I am curious, how many compute TOPS do you think Waymo uses? Over or under 1000? My guess is over 1000, probably closer to 2000.