Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reportrs Drops Model S from Reliability list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At one time the model as have the highest reliability rating from Consumer Reports. Because of the many issues with suspension, and screens etc. not to mention fit and finish, Consumer Reports now rates the model S very poorly. Hopefully Tesla will take note and do what it can to aggressively resolve issues.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
It's true that CR does not like AP, but dropping the recommendation for the Model Y is not because of AP. It's because of initial quality problems, which have been high on the Y. I hope that Tesla is able to put more resources into quality assurance so it is not up to the customer and SC to resolve defects.

Reactions: kavyboy and vinny84
At one time the model as have the highest reliability rating from Consumer Reports.
I'm 95% sure Model S has never been in Consumer Reports most reliable cars list for any year.

Besides what you stated in the thread title, Model S has now ended up in 10 Least Reliable Cars and the Model X is no longer in the bottom 10. In previous years, when CR had enough data, Model X was always in the bottom 10 in reliability. I have a CR online subscription and see the possible reason why for the X. They had insufficient data (insufficient sample size) for model year 2020 Model X. For the other model years, X reliability was generally poor.

Tesla sells every car they can make and have a significant waiting list. That says their value and service is too high.

Let's be clear, they currently make the best EV product, period, hands down. People wanting a good EV that has a fantastic fast charging network have no other realistic choices. Try driving a non-tesla cross country. And despite the issues, the car itself is still great.

Choices are coming in the next decade though, so for that reason, yes, Tesla needs to take note. GM is ramping up. At $2500 stock (pre split) I think the long term picture is pretty risky. Most of that low stock price assumes dominance in the higher volume vehicle markets. If people get tired of the quality issues their brand loyalty will only go so far when there are better competitors.

Reactions: glide
At one time the model as have the highest reliability rating from Consumer Reports. Because of the many issues with suspension, and screens etc. not to mention fit and finish, Consumer Reports now rates the model S very poorly. Hopefully Tesla will take note and do what it can to aggressively resolve issues.
Tesla has shown little inclination to work on problem areas except for those that can be addressed by updates rather than manufacturing prowess. They seem "ok" in responding to owners' crisis, but pretty bad at fixing the root causes. Production numbers superseded everything at Tesla, and it shows.

Reactions: InternetDude