TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Consumers prefer dealers over Tesla model"

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by ICETOO, Oct 5, 2016.

1. ICETOO

ICETOO Member

• Funny x 4
    • Informative x 1
  2. tigerade

tigerade Member

Even if he's right that the dealer model is better than the direct-sale model (and I am not saying he is), the only way to prove that would be to allow direct sales, let the two models compete with one another, and then see what consumers actually prefer.

• Like x 10
  3. larmor

larmor Member

I wish my tesla came with ziebart, sigh...

• Funny x 7
  4. ICETOO

ICETOO Member

I agree except the State of Michigan would never allow the direct sales model to take place given the pressure from the automakers...

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The NADA chairman seems to be implying that the retail price the dealers discounted against would be the same as the Tesla one price retail price - which of course it isn't.

They start by asking a bunch more money for the car and then if you figure out the secret codes in negotiating and have good timing you can get the car for somewhat less - but the average sale will presumably be pretty close to the one price cost once the market finishes adjusting - possibly still higher as the dealer has to turn a profit, too.

The NADA chair couldn't really say anything else, but its a really weak argument.

• Like x 1
  6. Jopo43

Jopo43 Member

Yes and oil companies want to sell oil.....ice companies ice...........if the tesla model wins he is out of a job.... and a Detroit newspaper what a shocker.....

• Like x 1
  7. RedP85+

RedP85+ Member

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

Wow, what a skewed study. The real question that was asked was "would you prefer to save money on your new Tesla and go through a dealer, or buy online and not save money?" what a steamy pile this one is....

• Like x 1
  9. Jopo43

Jopo43 Member

Anything to do with ICE system they all live in their own version of fantasy island.............

10. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

If dealer model is better and Joe consumer is craving for it, then why resist the direct-sales model? let it die a natural death in the hands of consumers..

• Like x 4
  11. Jopo43

Jopo43 Member

Yes I so enjoy going to stealerships..... almost as much as the dentist......

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

We are entering into a brave new world where BS is valued and accepted. If you are Pence and asked about something crazy the boss said, just say he did not say it.

If you are NADA, just say our customers love us and would never want to do business with Tesla. Look, we have the laws to prove it.

Up is the new Down.

• Like x 9
    • Dislike x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

If consumers prefer dealers, what's "unfair" about competition from a business model that consumers supposedly don't like as much? You would think dealers would welcome competition from a company using a sales method that consumers don't favor. Of course that's not the case, which is why the auto dealer cartel needs to use the power of the state to prevent Tesla from competing.

14. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

• Funny x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

• Funny x 6
  16. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

I remember a time when people flat out lied to newspaper reporters, the lies were reported in the paper. Surely, everyone knew this was a lie. The reporter didn't even do a simple Internet search to verify their story. Reminds me of watching that VP debate last night, when did lying with style become an OK thing in the USA? Makes me sad.

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

When Pence needs a new job on Nov 9 he can go to work for NADA since it is clear he will fit right in with the alternate universe they live in.

• Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

There is a subset of consumers (that are probably poorly represented here) who LIKE to haggle for car deals. They love playing the various dealers off each other to get the best price for a car.

These are the sort that go to CarMax and get offended or angry when they refuse to "deal". I am guessing they didn't like Saturn back in the day either.

19. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Consumers prefer dealers over Tesla model for target practice

Fixed

• Funny x 4
  20. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Not a skewed study, at all. The study merely found that consumers often get prices lower than MSRP under the present dealer system. That is absolutely true.

That study, however, in no way supports Carlson's assertion that, "Consumers offered a choice would favor a franchised dealer network that offers discounts over Tesla Motors Inc.’s retail model…" His statement is classic car dealer misrepresentation.

• Like x 1