Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Consumers prefer dealers over Tesla model"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The NADA chairman seems to be implying that the retail price the dealers discounted against would be the same as the Tesla one price retail price - which of course it isn't.

They start by asking a bunch more money for the car and then if you figure out the secret codes in negotiating and have good timing you can get the car for somewhat less - but the average sale will presumably be pretty close to the one price cost once the market finishes adjusting - possibly still higher as the dealer has to turn a profit, too.

The NADA chair couldn't really say anything else, but its a really weak argument.

Reactions: Jaff
If consumers prefer dealers, what's "unfair" about competition from a business model that consumers supposedly don't like as much? You would think dealers would welcome competition from a company using a sales method that consumers don't favor. Of course that's not the case, which is why the auto dealer cartel needs to use the power of the state to prevent Tesla from competing.

I remember a time when people flat out lied to newspaper reporters, the lies were reported in the paper. Surely, everyone knew this was a lie. The reporter didn't even do a simple Internet search to verify their story. Reminds me of watching that VP debate last night, when did lying with style become an OK thing in the USA? Makes me sad.

We are entering into a brave new world where BS is valued and accepted. If you are Pence and asked about something crazy the boss said, just say he did not say it.
When Pence needs a new job on Nov 9 he can go to work for NADA since it is clear he will fit right in with the alternate universe they live in.

There is a subset of consumers (that are probably poorly represented here) who LIKE to haggle for car deals. They love playing the various dealers off each other to get the best price for a car.

These are the sort that go to CarMax and get offended or angry when they refuse to "deal". I am guessing they didn't like Saturn back in the day either.

Wow, what a skewed study.

Not a skewed study, at all. The study merely found that consumers often get prices lower than MSRP under the present dealer system. That is absolutely true.

That study, however, in no way supports Carlson's assertion that, "Consumers offered a choice would favor a franchised dealer network that offers discounts over Tesla Motors Inc.’s retail model…" His statement is classic car dealer misrepresentation.