Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Consumers prefer dealers over Tesla model"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Tesla has considered going into problem cities and buying an indepent repair shop. For example, they could buy one in Richmond va, operate it under the existing liscense still repairing ices, add on a Tesla bay, and put up additional discrete sinage saying Tesla repair. As long as they continue servicing current customers, there is nothing the dealers can do about it. The existing business will support things until Tesla business picks up. Then raise ice rates until the business drops off. Purists might object to touching ices, but it is silly not to do what works.
Interesting but I think the restrictions on manufacturers owning or operating service centers wouldn't allow this at least in States like Virginia

What would one expect the Top of the National Auto Dealers Association to say?

A few points of why it is a false equivalency:
1. Sales people in Dealers are (based on my experience) no more than greeters and interfaces to the "back office" people with the financial numbers to approve a price point;
2. Dealers have a profit incentive for Service -- whether warranty paid from the manufacturer or from the client;
3. It takes longer to "sell" an Electric Vehicle. The "sales" representative must know more about the vehicle and inform the customer. It takes more than a test drive to "get it out the door".
4. Having a mix of ICE and Electric Vehicles at the same dealership is problematic. Take Fisker for example. Given the sell cycle for a Karma and an ICE vehicle, the sales team will graduate to the easier sale and thus the easier commission. (not here to debate other issues). As bread-winner, the salesperson is dependent on ~20 vehicle commissions a month. An EV with a two-week sell cycle makes an easy decision guiding a customer on the lot -- 2 days or 2 weeks of work? Dah!!
5. Most consumers haven't experienced any other sales model, so when asked which they preferred (assuming that was the question), people gravitate to what is familiar.

I've considered all the "dealers" I have used over the last 40+ years. Save one, I've never gone back to the same dealer because of excellent service, great relationship, or even having the same salesperson. Dealers and Sales people are mostly "transaction based", since the probability of repeat business is 4-6 years hence. Should major problems occur, be sure the warranty or satisfaction with the vehicle is between the buyer and the MANUFACTURER. The dealer really has no responsibility for the quality, mechanical issues or your satisfaction with the vehicle--here in Georgia, that is a document the buyer has to acknowledge at the closing. Anyone who has ever needed to their States "Lemon Laws" as a last resort will certainly testify -- trust me I've been there. The dealer adds nothing.

Experiencing both -- Tesla's model and Dealers, I miss nothing from the dealer model. From the time I walked in on my Model X delivery day, to the time I drove home was 1.5 hours (including the overview of the features). I have never bought a dealer vehicle in less than 6-8 hours after I picked out the car -- long a chaotic process to say the least.

Sorry for the long post. But thought it was worth saying.

I've yet to go to a dealer where I didn't come out feeling as if I'd been screwed.
I have, but it was hard work. Had to go to several dealers plus do research to get price I wanted to pay. Then had to give as take it or leave it at local dealer I wanted to buy from. They took it, but only after a 2 hours of bitter complaining and 4 trips to see "manager". It's a dumb game, intended to pressure and deceive. None of it is about the car. That's why I like fixed price.

Service is another story. Out of the dozens of dealers I've dealt with, only 2 had competent service. I think tesla pretty good on that score, but one thing I've always preferred is talking to the tech, not the service mgr - and tesla also avoids that. Example: my BMW X1 had chronic HVAC issue. After numerous visits, fight with service manager, and case opened with BMW NA, I finally got them to send tech on a drive with me. Problem will never be solved, but now I know some work-arounds.

No offense to the OP, but really why is this even posted? Got a few more headlines and articles to debate:

Putin confirms: Study shows Americans prefer Russian foreign policy.

Latest from Lucifer: Lost Souls prefer Hellfire at its hottest.

OPEC survey shows consumers like oil and want to burn it.

ISIS post market demonstrates Islam preferred religion.

Termites study shows that some wood better than no wood.

and of course..

Pentagon details that latest poll results show that Guantanomo preferred open by 90% of Americans. Obama fist bumps Hillary in celebration.

Reactions: tomas
Tesla scores auto industry best ‘consumer experience’ in global study

"Group XP, an international brand and marketing strategy research network, released its study of 43,000 brands in 46 industries worldwide. The goal of the study was to recognize brand leaders based on customer experience. Tesla ranked No. 1 for the auto industry and No. 20 overall"

Tesla scores auto industry best ‘consumer experience’ in global study

NADA is constitutionally unable to tell the truth. A trade association whose members are constitutional liars will always lie.

Even if Tesla ends up selling franchises, which they might, it doesn't mean they will follow other auto manufactures/dealer business model. Tesla wants to have a one stop shop for EV, solar power, and power storage. That is unlike anything any other auto maker does. It could still be fixed price model. The dealer may or may not purchase their display models, but everything can be ordered online just like it is now. Delivery and service could be handled by accredited dealers. (and installation for solar and power walls).

You guys can cry how ridiculous it is to do this, but the next generation won't even bat an eye. They won't look at the car in the same way people do now. If it can make them money, extra money, why not? It's just a piece of technology that gets them from point A to point B.

By the time Tesla is producing enough cars for the question of dealerships to come up it will be in the 2020's.

The whole business will be changing. All Teslas vehicles will have been fully L5 autonomy capable for some time.

There may still be states where L5 isn't legal but not for long.

If you buy a car it can deliver itself to you. If it needs service it can go to a service center on it's own. Loaners if needed can arrive on their own.

Much of the auto biz will be transitioning to Mobility App fleets and away from sales.

Tesla's approach will have fewer conflicts than the old model in the new circumstances.