Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumption and efficiency differences climbing various grades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my Airstream Sport 22FB has been invited to spend New Year's in Tahoe.

Can my X75D with 220 (÷2) miles of range get it there?

In theory, it's 78 miles from the Rocklin supercharger to Truckee.

In practice, it's that plus 9000 feet of elevation gain. What's the rule of thumb? 12 towing miles per 1000 feet? That's more energy going up than across.

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 10.22.28 PM.png

Ohmman's footnote, and allowing for rain/snow, means I'm probably going to need a CHAdeMO adapter. EvGO has just turned on outlets at Colfax, Dutch Flat, and Emigrant Gap. So I guess that's where I'll be spending most of Saturday Dec 30th.

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 10.54.53 PM.png

In practice, it's that plus 9000 feet of elevation gain. What's the rule of thumb? 12 towing miles per 1000 feet? That's more energy going up than across.

View attachment 267886

Ohmman's footnote, and allowing for rain/snow, means I'm probably going to need a CHAdeMO adapter. EvGO has just turned on outlets at Colfax, Dutch Flat, and Emigrant Gap. So I guess that's where I'll be spending most of Saturday Dec 30th.

View attachment 267893
How much does Airstream (plus cargo) weigh approximately? You can at least calculate energy consumption from gravitational energy. Regen is a different story but you are worrying about just claiming up.

View attachment 267886

View attachment 267893
Depending on your route, you're welcome to stop by and borrow my CHAdeMO for the trip. You'd need to swing through Sonoma. PM me if you're interested.

In practice, it's that plus 9000 feet of elevation gain. What's the rule of thumb?
In theory, we'll need additional gravitational potential energy than a flat road.
Gravitational Potential Energy
PE-gravitational = m * g * h (joules)
assuming...
m = 3000kg (X75D) + 2000kg (22FB) = 5000kg
g = 9.8 m/s^2
h = 2743 m (9000ft)
PE-gravitational = 5000 * 9.8 * 2743 = 134,407,000 joules
134,407,000 joules / 3,600,000 = 37.3 kWh
We'll need additional 37.3 kWh to pull the vehicle and trailer up 9000 ft.

assuming...
The flat road consumption is 110 miles per 75 kWh for the vehicle and trailer, it is 0.682 kWh/mile.
The flat 78 mile drive needs 78 * 0.682 = 53.2 kWh
The total energy consumption in theory will be 37.3 + 53.2 = 90.5 kWh

With no math or physics, as someone who puts more miles on his bike than on his car in a give year, I can tell you that the steeper it gets, the more energy it takes. A long gradual climb takes less energy than a short steep one.
I'm not an expert in this area, so maybe I am wrong, but I think you are confusing energy and power. I think it might seem that you need more "energy" in a steeper climb, but in reality, you would expend the same amount of energy during a steep bike climb as you would over a gradual climb. It's just that you are required to generate that energy over a shorter period of time in a steep bike climb, so those legs get tired faster. Feel free to correct me.

View attachment 267886

View attachment 267893

You will get some good regen coming down from Donner Summit to Truckee. You just have to make it to Donnor Summit. I arrived at DS once with 10 miles left in a raging blizzard (I cut it a bit close because the cold temps, strong winds, and my wife's need for warmth cut into range). The good news is we arrived at Truckee Supercharger with the same 10 miles.

Depending on your route, you're welcome to stop by and borrow my CHAdeMO for the trip. You'd need to swing through Sonoma. PM me if you're interested.

Thank you! I ordered one from Tesla but if it doesn't arrive this time next week I'll definitely take you up on your kind offer.

BTW, for anyone else in future staring at the $450 price tag – there is a map of these kind offers at Tesla Model S CHAdeMO Adapter Loaners map

I'll be sure to list mine after my trip.

My research also turned up a CHAdeMO adapter rental service.

tldr...On a dry day with no headwinds and not too cold you would be cutting it close at best...

Longer version:
So using EV trip planner for Model X with several different settings for flat terrain avg usage (planner then adjusts for terrain elevation changes):

Default without trailer
333Wh/mile = 123 rated miles

Lower and upper ranges on forum with Airstream
575Wh/mile = 212 rated miles
600Wh/mile = 222 rated miles
666Wh/mile = 245 rated miles

Don't know if this will help or not. I did not run the numbers. But from Folsom to Stateline NV is 87 miles. This route will add some time to your drive.

But you might be able to make it up Echo Summit on US50 and then downhill to the SC in Stateline and not run out of juice. It would be an easy drive on the Nevada side of Tahoe to reach your destination.

It might be worth a shot!

OK, trip report. Under ideal conditions, it should be possible for a 75D to tow a 2017/2018 Sport 22FB from Roseville / Rocklin to Truckee without CHAdeMO charging along the way.

How do I know? I left Auburn Gold Country RV Park with a full tank of 230 miles. I arrived at Nyack Shell in Emigrant Gap with 42% SoC, and at Truckee with 17% (37 miles left in the tank). The RV park is about 5 miles out of Auburn. Rocklin is 11 miles out of Auburn, so anyone charging to 100% at Rocklin should arrive Truckee with about 25 miles in the tank. If you're coming from Roseville at 100%, you're cutting it even closer, arriving with 12 miles in the tank. So top off at Rocklin.

Note that these are ideal conditions: dry and sunny, speed ranging from 45mph to 55mph, AC off for most of the trip and seat warmers only. I don't know my weight but both front seats were occupied, no passengers in the rear.

Arriving at Truckee,
My Trip A showed about 72 miles from Auburn to Truckee at 762 Wh/mi.
My Trip B showed 252 miles from Half Moon Bay to Truckee at 647 Wh/mi.

If you get to Nyack Shell at Emigrant Gap with anything less than 40% SoC you should probably avail yourself of the EvGO CHAdeMO they have there.

Detailed report in chronological order:

We left Half Moon Bay with a full tank.

We first recharged at the Tesla Service Center in Dublin. We arrived right around closing time. I'm traveling with an MPDG, so while we were mulling options a Tesla exec appeared out of nowhere and generously invited us to use the service center's secret supercharger that they usually use to top off customer vehicles. So we didn't have to unhitch! We probably left there at about 75% SoC, I don't remember exactly.

IMG_4629.JPG

We went past Vacaville which are all back-in stalls. We hoped to make it to Rocklin but ended up at Roseville, 109 miles later. Nobody else was there so we just went ahead and blocked most of the bays. We arrived with 19 miles in the tank, charged at 90kW, and spent only about 15 minutes there because the next stop was just 20 miles away.

IMG_4633.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

We popped by Rocklin to check out the layout. The solar roof claims a clearance of 9', which is a problem because the Airstream's AC reaches 9'3".

IMG_4647.JPG

It's probably possible to nose in to the bays but I wouldn't pull all the way through.

We spent the night at Auburn Gold RV Park, about 20 miles away, and departed with a full tank thanks to the 50 amp service in our bay.

Auburn Coffee has excellent espresso, nitro cold brew, and kombucha.

The next day we made it all the way to Truckee without charging along the way, though we were prepared to bust out the CHAdeMO adapter at Emigrant Gap.

Wow! Thanks for the report, @mengwong. You said speeds of 45-55mph - I'm assuming that the cars were passing you at about 70-80mph, yes? Any issues with the speed differential?

Also: look at that cable length on the service Supercharger! Liquid cooled? Can we have at least one of those at each Supercharger location... please?!

If I recall correctly, you're using a weight bearing hitch setup. Any reason you didn't just unhitch at Truckee? I'm guessing because it looked vacant on arrival. Your unhitching process must only take a few minutes, based on my experience with our more complicated hitch. Did you install an electric tongue jack?

Thanks again for pioneering this oft-traveled route. Gives me some optimism that our somewhat degraded (~244 RM @ 100%) 90D can make it without a CHAdeMO stop.

Wow! Thanks for the report, @mengwong. You said speeds of 45-55mph - I'm assuming that the cars were passing you at about 70-80mph, yes? Any issues with the speed differential?

It wasn't a problem because I-80E has three lanes on the inclines. It's kind of relaxing to be the slowest vehicle on the road. Everyone was passing me – regular cars, semis, other RVs, even other trailer rigs boldly flouting the 55mph tow limit.

If I recall correctly, you're using a weight bearing hitch setup. Any reason you didn't just unhitch at Truckee? I'm guessing because it looked vacant on arrival. Your unhitching process must only take a few minutes, based on my experience with our more complicated hitch. Did you install an electric tongue jack?

Yeah, I must be the only one of us without any weight distribution or sway control. Truckee was indeed vacant on arrival and even with me blocking half the stalls there was still room for everybody who turned up behind me. So it wasn't too bad. Even with an electric tongue jack, unhitching is not kind to my old knees. Wrangling the safety chains is hell on my knuckles. And chocking and unchocking the trailer adds yet more time. Didn't seem worth it since we were only there to log the waypoint … we could've gotten to our RV park (Coachland) without stopping at the supercharger at all! So we just took off after it started getting crowded.

BTW, towers arriving Truckee during office hours will want the supercharger behind the Safeway at Donner Pass Road … it's much more navigable than the Brockway location off 267, which is in the middle of a busy car park and was almost fully ICEd the other day at lunchtime.

Even with an electric tongue jack, unhitching is not kind to my old knees. Wrangling the safety chains is hell on my knuckles. And chocking and unchocking the trailer adds yet more time.
Definitely understand that. I keep a small foam gardening mat in the back of my X when we're towing, and it's the first thing I pull out when unhitching. I bought it at a Fred Meyer while Supercharging in Bend during our last trip. Only took a few stops before I realized how much I needed that.

The safety chain hooks on the original Bosal are a bear as they're hidden and recessed. My Draw-tite loops are quite prominent, so it's an easier task.

Enjoy Tahoe, looks like some of this precipitation might fall as snow next week.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Thanks for your report! Glad your trip went well.

I will start my towing adventures in less than two months. Your photos showing your energy usage screens while towing appear to indicate that the X firmware factors in the higher energy usage when towing into the energy usage prediction calculations when a destination is entered into the navigation. I have been wondering about that for a year now while reading posts by @ohmman and others about energy usage while towing as I think they have also observed this. Comments anyone?
Initial estimate by trip computer:
View attachment 270738

Upon arrival at Truckee, final estimate by trip computer:
View attachment 270735

(trip began at Emigrant Gap)
View attachment 270734

Last edited: