Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contact address for Roadster Logs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody have a contact address of a technician who could be able to send me some Logfiles of my Roadster ?

I'm missing the first 5000 km in my Roadsters history. The technicians in Europe say these Logfiles are available on an American server, but they have no access to it.

I think you misunderstand how logs work. Logs are not send over the air; they must be physically pulled from the car using a thumb drive. They're only sent to Tesla if there's a problem. While they pull the logs during the annual service, I don't think they store them. Plus, logs only hold the most recent 50 hours of data, so it's unlikely that logs pulled annually would be comprehensive.

Reactions: wiztecy
@supersnoop, that is the point I was trying to make in response to the OP saying "I'm missing the first 5000 km in my Roadsters history. The technicians in Europe say these Logfiles are available on an American server, but they have no access to it."

I find it hard to believe that the "technicians in Europe" are correct. Maybe they were referring to the fact that Roadster owners can pull logs and upload them to a Tesla server in situations where a problem is being diagnosed remotely. But that doesn't happen automatically, as you point out, someone has to insert a USB thumb drive into the car and extract the logs.

@supersnoop
You're wrong. As long as your Roadster is under warranty Tesla takes the logs of your car over the air monthly. That's what the data connection is used for.

In my case a Tesla technician told me, the logs are on a server somewhere at Tesla US, so I would need someone who is able to access them.

@ecarfan and @supersnoop
Are you sure you are correct because the info with the montly upload I got from a Tesla technician?

And over a year ago a technician checked the logs of my car, they were already uploaded on the US server. The technician also told me, that he cannot get the logs in the format of the USB stick as we know. He gets the logs as Windows EXE from the server also containing the log data.

Long ago (around August 2009) when we were first figuring out how to decode the log file data, I managed to get a friendly technician at Tesla to give me a spreadsheet of the log data for my car covering the day when I took my car to the track. The data was queried from a database on a server, so I presume that Tesla may not have kept the log files in raw form but instead merged the data from each log file into the database. Of course, practices may have changed since then.

The different format makes sense, and of course, anything else than a database storing their log data would not be practical.

Now I remember one additional thing one technician told me - he has no access to the log files, but he can query data for me if I want to know something specific.

Another technician told me the info with the Windows EXE, when they have a log file from a USB stick, they upload it to Tesla US and get back a Windows EXE which contains the uploaded log data also (the Windows EXE is their log parser). That's for the case the log data on the server isn't up to date.
He hasn't told me anything about a database or so - so I thought that's there typical way, dealing with log files.

So I guess now once the log data is on the Tesla server, there's no easy way to construct the USB log file format.

@supersnoop
You're wrong. As long as your Roadster is under warranty Tesla takes the logs of your car over the air monthly. That's what the data connection is used for.

In my case a Tesla technician told me, the logs are on a server somewhere at Tesla US, so I would need someone who is able to access them.
My car is still under warranty. And it has absolutely no over-the-air capabilities. The wireless hardware was added with the 2.x revision, and it's only purpose is to alert Tesla if the battery is getting dangerously low.

Logfiles are not sent over the air with any Roadsters, not the 1.5, 2.0 nor 2.5 versions. What Tesla did implement was a "phone home" feature in the 2.x's which would notify Tesla if the battery pack drop to a critically low state of SOC. There was some bad press by the media and some 1.5 / early adopters who inadvertently allowed the Roadster to drop down to 0% SOC and neglected to charge it in a timely manner, within an hour. This resulted in either Tesla or the original owner to fork out $39k for a brand new battery to get the car up and running again. As the Roadster's progressed to the 2.0 version, Tesla installed a feature into the car which would then notify the owner by calling or email them which indicating the Roadster's battery was in a critically low state and needed to be plugged in / charged immediately. If the car failed to be plugged in, the SOC would reach 0, and the battery pack eventually brick.

I download and have been downloading all my logs via the USB. Also whenever I emailed / discussed an issue I was experiencing with my Roadster with Tesla, Tesla always requested I download the logs via the USB stick and upload them manually to the Tesla server. They have no history of your logs unless someone manually dump them via USB and uploaded them to their server. I have friends with 2.0/2.5's and same goes for them. Of all my time reading and observing posts and talking to Tesla techs personally, I've never heard any feature or capabilities of the Roadster to upload a logfile via a wireless connection.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is going over the air.

Didn't know the com module was installed into 2.5 version only. But I never read about this is used for alerting the owner itself.
Maybe there's a difference between US and European Roadsters?

I read from other (European) Roadster owners, that they were called by Tesla in case of upcoming problems of their car.
E.g. one guy unplugged the TC button, a few days later Tesla called him regarding a problem with his TC, they're getting continuous error messages.

So other reports and infos from technicians say, there is more data finding its way to Tesla via this com module than low battery stats only.

Annual service of my Roadster is on the calendar in the next weeks, will try to gather more infos about this.

I'm not sure what is going over the air.

Didn't know the com module was installed into 2.5 version only. But I never read about this is used for alerting the owner itself.
Maybe there's a difference between US and European Roadsters?

I read from other (European) Roadster owners, that they were called by Tesla in case of upcoming problems of their car.
E.g. one guy unplugged the TC button, a few days later Tesla called him regarding a problem with his TC, they're getting continuous error messages.

So other reports and infos from technicians say, there is more data finding its way to Tesla via this com module than low battery stats only.

Annual service of my Roadster is on the calendar in the next weeks, will try to gather more infos about this.
The comm module sends error messages, such as low battery warnings, to Tesla, which prompts someone there to call the owner.

The wireless hardware was added with the 2.x revision, and it's only purpose is to alert Tesla if the battery is getting dangerously low.
Logfiles are not sent over the air with any Roadsters, not the 1.5, 2.0 nor 2.5 versions.
That's not quite correct. Tesla has automatically downloaded log files from my car every few days for years. It didn't wait until there was a low battery or fault. It may only be event logs, but there's a lot of information they get. They had this capability beginning with the 2.x version. You have to be within reach of a cell tower. A few times I received emails from Tesla asking "We're checking in because we haven't heard from your car in over 30 days. Is it plugged in and charging on a regular basis?" The reason they hadn't heard from my car is I wasn't driving close enough to any cell towers to make a connection.

In addition the the automatic download/upload, several times I have called Tesla Service with a question or problem and they would say "Wait a minute while I download the logs from your car and see what's going on." As long as I was within reach of a cell tower they could do this.