Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contact sync fix PSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure why Tesla hasn't figured it out or hasn't said what the workaround is but I found this while searching for my particular issue.

r/teslamotors - Tesla Model 3 Bluetooth Contact Sync Fix

I've had my car since January and I've been patiently waiting for a fix and in the meantime I've been going without contact syncing.

The issue appears to characters or symbols that may cause issues in your contact name. I went through my 450+ contacts and removed characters that I deemed may affect syncing. I'm pretty sure & is part of the issue but to be safe I removed anything with # in it. I also left - (dashes) in as that would be common.

Went back in the car and turned contact syncing on and everything showed up right away. What normally happened was the bluetooth symbol would sync then you see it disappear and it would repeat after a few seconds. So your phone would constantly disconnect from bluetooth unless you turned off contact syncing.

Hope this fixes the issue for some people if it hasn't been mentioned before. I'm using an iPhone and don't know if this is affected by Android.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
I have struggled with Bluetooth Contacts/Call History Sync problems since taking possession of our Tesla Model 3 LR AWD on 10/31/2018. My workaround was to Disable Contacts/Call History, which makes hands-free calling all but impossible. I had a Google Pixel XL cellphone, finally gave up and upgraded to a new Samsung Galaxy Note 9, but the Sync problem persisted. I performed a careful search of all 1000+ of my Google/Gmail Contacts for the "&" character and replaced it with "and" (or deleted the offending Contact) in every case, after a second pass today 5/6/2019 this FINALLY fixed the Sync problem after nearly 6 months and 6 different Tesla Service Requests / Tesla Service Center visits. Note that the characters ,./()- are all perfectly OK, just the character & appears to cause the problem (and perhaps the unusual characters #!@$%^*<>+= used in the contact title/name ???). You would think Tesla would fix this, they admitted to me that they have had many owners who have had this same Contacts Sync problem. I am running Tesla Model 3 Software Version 2019.12.1.2. 5c87371 (just installed 5/5/2019).

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
IMPORTANT UPDATE:
I have struggled with Bluetooth Contacts/Call History Sync problems since taking possession of our Tesla Model 3 LR AWD on 10/31/2018. My workaround was to Disable Contacts/Call History, which makes hands-free calling all but impossible. I had a Google Pixel XL cellphone, finally gave up and upgraded to a new Samsung Galaxy Note 9, but the Sync problem persisted. I performed a careful search of all 1000+ of my Google/Gmail Contacts for the "&" character and replaced it with "and" (or deleted the offending Contact) in every case, after a second pass today 5/6/2019 this FINALLY fixed the Sync problem after nearly 6 months and 6 different Tesla Service Requests / Tesla Service Center visits. Note that the characters ,./()- are all perfectly OK, just the character & appears to cause the problem (and perhaps the unusual characters #!@$%^*<>+= used in the contact title/name ???). You would think Tesla would fix this, they admitted to me that they have had many owners who have had this same Contacts Sync problem. I am running Tesla Model 3 Software Version 2019.12.1.2. 5c87371 (just installed 5/5/2019).
I had to deal with my issue for over 8mos.

do businesses with symbols in their names cause issues in navigation too? if not, this probably has something to do with the export method/file creation method of the BT contact list. it would only be a guess, but typically contacts are packaged up into an export file, transported between devices and then imported at the receiving end. it's been this way for decades and I haven't heard that it's changed.

are there actual forums/sites where people have exposed the code within the MCU to determine protocols, etc? maybe someone there can provide some insight in to how the package is being transported and what's happening to the data.

in active directory, I've had issues with global implementations of people in different nationalities with accents in their names, causing headaches in other systems. sometimes the accents get replaced with a space, sometimes with a ?.