Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contemplating "swapping" my Nov. 2014 S85 for a Sept. 2017 S100D - Would you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's difficult/impossible to tell someone what makes them happy, but that sure doesn't sound like enough grease for the hinge on my wallet.

Limiting charging speed just means your long trips (that require supercharging) will take a few minutes longer. Less range means you might have to make a stop. I don't think these are even 1st world problems - maybe 0.1 world problems. Free supercharging isn't worth that much from a dollar perspective, and supercharging a lot may lead to quicker degradation. I don't have free supercharging, and even though I've taken my car on several road trips long enough to need it, I've shelled out $77.90 for about 900 miles of range. A good chunk of those were on its 750 mile maiden voyage back home. Maybe worth a couple hundred bucks total over the course of a year? Peanuts compared to a $16k upgrade.

That said, I didn't need to buy my first Model S either. Even if all goes well, I will still piss away a lot more money in depreciation in 3 years than an Accord, but it's not always about making financial sense if you can afford it and you think you'll get that much enjoyment out of it.

Yes, that i why i'm so undecided... at times i almost have no doubts that the "swap" is worth it, but then i almost have no doubts i should just keep my S85, haha

Yeah, that's something i do fear.
I have hope the 100 packs are imune to chargegate, but i'm not holding my breath on it.
My S85 has been out of Tesla general warranty for more than a year, but (like i've said on my first post) it has already had lots of important parts replaced since then, fortunately under the extended warranty i purchased.
Which, on the other hand, means those parts that have been replaced are new and, supposedly, won't be a problem in the next coming years.

Like what? How many miles ago and how many miles do you have now? Your only warranty is for the battery and motors now, correct?

My S85 has been out of Tesla general warranty for more than a year, but (like i've said on my first post) it has already had lots of important parts replaced since then, fortunately under the extended warranty i purchased.
Which, on the other hand, means those parts that have been replaced are new and, supposedly, won't be a problem in the next coming years.

Are you trading you car in? Selling it yourself? Any idea what you’re getting for it?

Like what? How many miles ago and how many miles do you have now? Your only warranty is for the battery and motors now, correct?

The extended warranty i purchased was for 2 years or 40.000 km (whichever comes first) and i only have about 4.000 km left.
Teslas battery and drive train warranty is still good up until November 2022.

The seller of the 100D is supposed to get me a buyer for my S85. That's the only way i would do it.
Like i've said already, the amount i would pay is around 30k, but it would turn to around 16k in the end after VAT deduction.

The extended warranty i purchased was for 2 years or 40.000 km (whichever comes first) and i only have about 4.000 km left.

The seller of the 100D is supposed to get me a buyer for my S85. That's the only way i would do it.
Like i've said already, the amount i would pay is around 30k, but it would turn to around 16k in the end after VAT deduction.
I would do it. I’m sure what ever repairs you did before are also helping the value of your car to the next owner.
How many miles does it have?
Your car?

It currently has 112k km
Get rid of it. You will be good with your warranty and if you decide that you want to keep that car later the cost to repair anything will be significantly less later. Not just cause the parts, technology etc will get cheaper and better. But there will be way more places to have an ev serviced in the future compared to today. The small amount of shops out their that you can take an ev too gives them the upper hand to overcharge and they do. More competition leads to better deals. You will be much better off moving on

Did the 100D seller say why they are selling it?

Same boat here, no plans to change cars, the last door handle was a retrofit from the latest model, a kit is now available ast SCs, they told me it should last a lot longer. I never had yearly service so far without a door handle, LMFAO.

AP1 works because it is simple, I only use it on interstates with plenty of emergency shoulder and median and it does great.
I think we both have had the privilege of seeing how much the one camera AP evolved since 2015.

The windshield IR optical module delete in favor of camera sensing for automatic wipers is a real bummer.

Just think about the options we will have in 2023, I am planning on selling mine with one year of warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
He does that for a living.
It's a Tesla "CPO".

There is no such thing as a Tesla CPO car anymore. They are just used cars.

As to the value of free supercharging, the dollar amount depends on how much you use the Superchargers. I have been driving from NH to FL to AZ and points in between for the last 3 years. So I have made extensive use of free Supercharging and it has saved me thousands of dollars each year. So whether free supercharging is worth something to you depends on how much you would use it. No one can put a dollar value on this feature but you.

There is no such thing as a Tesla CPO car anymore. They are just used cars.

As to the value of free supercharging, the dollar amount depends on how much you use the Superchargers. I have been driving from NH to FL to AZ and points in between for the last 3 years. So I have made extensive use of free Supercharging and it has saved me thousands of dollars each year. So whether free supercharging is worth something to you depends on how much you would use it. No one can put a dollar value on this feature but you.

Yes i know that, that's exactly why i put CPO between comas. " "

I use supercharging when i do long trips which is mostly when go spend the weekend at my holiday/weekend house.
But if i had a 100D i could reach my holiday/weekend house without supercharging.
So while it's nice to have free supercharging, in my personal case (and unless i change my current normal usage) it wouldn't hurt me badly if i didn't have hit.