Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental Radar and Color cameras upgrade AP2 to AP3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is scheduled for Ap3 and mCU2 upgrade. While the car is at the service center, I would like to upgrade my radar to a Continental unit that has 10 meters more range. In addition I would like to change my side and B pillar cameras to full color. This would make the car on par with The newer models. These should be plug and play changes.

I cannot get anyone to answer if it can be done, and what It costs from anyone at Tesla.
Any thoughts?

Hi John G,

I had one of my repeater cameras fail and it was $130 plus maybe $65 for labor. X 2 for left and right Repeater...
I don't know how much for a pillar camera, so if you estimated $150 each plus $65 labor x 2 for left and right.
Radar will be expensive... You could be in the $2000 to $3000 range and not know if the software will support it.

I believe the 2.5 hardware cars also have a redundant wire harness to the cameras that will not be present in a
2.0 car...

Very expensive, probably nearly impossible,
Look at the films from Akikiki in Hawaii who has the older cameras running TeslaCam.
The color is not that bad...

Shawn

Look at the films from Akikiki in Hawaii who has the older cameras running TeslaCam.
The color is not that bad...
Also this post from the monster thread shows several examples of what I believe to be the 2.0 camera suite:
So I've been using MCU2+AP3 for a few days now, and I gotta say, it's totally worth the $2500 upgrade.

MCU2 is so quick, Voice Control is actually usable. Love having AP3 stopping for Stop Signs (as you have to stop at them anyway). The traffic light control needs a little work, but it's not too bad.

I thought I'd make a few Youtube Vids, of the TeslaCam Footage. I actually got a new Gimbal and will try make some videos of the IC's FSD visualizations also. I took two during the daytime, and one at night. Santa Monica was like a Warzone last night due to the horrible civil unrest going on yesterday.

You can’t just swap the radar as the Conti radar has an extra pair of Canbus wires going to ape that you’d need to add. Also, you’d need to change the radar type in the car configuration on the gateway. Tesla ain’t going to offer that. Though an enterprising enough DIYer could maybe do it.

Reactions: croman and OPRCE