Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuation of Test Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will test drive opportunities continue to be offered throughout 2012 and into 2013?

I don't anticipate getting my Model S until 2013 and by that time it may be a slightly different car than shown in the current test drives schedule, e.g July 27-29 Dania Beach FL.

Production Model S # 7011

I believe it has been said that not only will there be test drives later on and at more locations, but the drive will be much longer as every store will have one. Though I think maybe that is just rumor/assumption. Everyone with a reservation though should get a longer test drive when their in full production swing. I am in your boat too (reserving in a few months) and I would like to test drive this car before commuting so much money. :)

Outside of the Get Amped tour for reservation holders, one can sign up here

The Get Amped Model S Tour | Tesla Motors

and presumably be offered a test drive first come, first served when the car becomes available near where you live.

Here's the quote from the bottom of the TM link:

"We won't stop there! Once we've completed the first 5,000 test drives, we'll schedule more Get Amped Model S Tour stops and send test drive vehicles to our stores."

Yes, as the others have said, once the initial tour is over it will become a more "normal" buying experience where each of the stores will have one (initially, and likely a couple in different configs as more cars are built) and you'll schedule a time (or just walk in off the street) and go for a drive w/ a salesperson. There won't be a set course and there won't be a short time limit. When we bought our Roadster the salesperson took my wife and I each out for a drive and then turned us loose w/ the car. We buzzed around for 30 mins or so, taking turns driving.

I believe it has been said that not only will there be test drives later on and at more locations, but the drive will be much longer as every store will have one. Though I think maybe that is just rumor/assumption.

This is what the DC guy told me, and I'd heard similar before from Tesla. At the test drive Friday, he told me the DC store would get one...I forget if he said "next month" (August) or "in September." I know those don't sound the same or even have the same number of syllables; I just don't recall, sorry. ;-) Anyway, I presume the other stores will get their own cars at the same time.

I can't wait for a longer test drive, but more to experience things that apparently other people took the time to investigate, but weren't mentioned to me and I felt a bit not-quite-rushed to ask, e.g., different steering settings. :) And 5000 other things....

As prople take these initial test drives, there will be alot of questions asked and hopefully informed answers. It would be nice if each TM representative recorded a list of questions and answers during each test drive. If this were done at each initial test drive location over the first cycle of test drives, TM quoted 5000, the information could be filtered for duplicate questions and a summary prepared for a comprehensive FAQ document. This could be provided prior to the next group of test drivers to make them informed save the reprsentatives from answering the same questions over and over. I know it would take some work and analysis, but would make a good database of information and advertisement tool

I wanted to schedule a test drive at New Port Beach but was told by the store manager that there would be a test drive scheduling system shortly on the TM website.
Anyone heard anymore info on when this is suppose to be up and running ?

I wanted to schedule a test drive at New Port Beach but was told by the store manager that there would be a test drive scheduling system shortly on the TM website.

Under 'Buy' there is a 'Test Drive' option. It has been there for a really long time. It used to be for Roadsters. I think it is for Model S now. It is just a form to take your data. I have put my data in there about 10 times and haven't ever gotten anything back.

http://www.teslamotors.com/own/testdrive

Well , good news. TESLA Newport Beach called back and gave me a test drive date. They're offering a longer drive to Sig customers.
Sounds like they're very busy with the demo drives.. Hope that translates into real sales for TESLA.

I just had a test drive there last Monday. I was on a trip in the area, walked in to the store and got a test drive on the spot. To be fair, they were going to schedule me in for the next day, but there was a cancellation and I was able to snag the spot.

If you're going to be in the Newport Beach area, I would give them a call and see if you can set something up. Make sure to tell them your a reservation holder, because that does matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Well , good news. TESLA Newport Beach called back and gave me a test drive date. They're offering a longer drive to Sig customers.
Sounds like they're very busy with the demo drives.. Hope that translates into real sales for TESLA.

Okay, that's what I get for not reading ahead! Enjoy your test drive.

How much time did they you give behind the wheel ? Highway / City driving.

Whatever it was, it wasn't long enough :)

Actually, I think it was about the same length as my Toronto Get Amped test drive which is to say about 15 minutes. They offered me two routes: One along the Pacific Coast Highway with a lot of starts and stops and another along a less travelled route where I could punch it a bit and get a feel for highway travel (although I was not actually on a freeway). I opted for the latter since I'd already had a stop-and-start experience in Toronto, and the Tesla rep said she thought it was the better of the two.

The freeways in this part of SoCal don't really give you a sense of freeway travel since they're usually all congested up and moving slowly anyway. The route I took would have to be classified as "City" but through less travelled areas.

All of the stores (I think all), now that they have production models, are offering test drives. But not sure whether they're limited to reservation holders. To find out just call or email your nearest Tesla store to arrange a test drive. I arranged a test drive at the Menlo Park store when I was there on business last month and now I've arranged a second at the Washington, DC store. The former was rushed so I really did not have time to check out the car thoroughly. This time I'm going with a check list with all of the questions and concerns prompted by posts on this site.

Oak Brook (IL) now has 2 model S's for test drives. I could have driven the Performance version this Wed. 9/26, but asked that they let me know when the standard 85kWh would be swapped- supposed to get a call when within 2 weeks... hoping the stock price recovers more in the interim!!!