Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue. 2014 P85. My pump has been running for 6 hours after a standard overnight charge @ 32amps. Over the last two years the car has never acted this way. Something changed in 2019.16.1.1 I am losing about 1 mile of charge per hour with the pump running.

I have also submitted the issue to Tesla. I also posted this on the 16.1.x thread.

Bobby

Thanks. This confirms that it not only me. The issues I see with this new behavior is 1) this process uses the HV battery to run even if you are plugged in, and 2) more wear and tear of the pump (if indeed that's where the noise is coming from).

Those are beside the fact that the Tesla support has no idea of this new behavior.

Thanks. This confirms that it not only me. The issues I see with this new behavior is 1) this process uses the HV battery to run even if you are plugged in, and 2) more wear and tear of the pump (if indeed that's where the noise is coming from).

Those are beside the fact that the Tesla support has no idea of this new behavior.

I'd bet $1000 that this is the new fire safety firmware update. Probably runs the pump based on some predetermined and monitored conditions.

I hope it’s like you said...
Maybe just some sort of initial response to adjust or something and won’t continually be doin this under certain circumstances. Please keep us posted if it does or doesn’t keep this practice up.
I haven’t gotten the 16.1.1 yet and I’m weary of hitting the install button when I do.

I'd bet $1000 that this is the new fire safety firmware update. Probably runs the pump based on some predetermined and monitored conditions.

I hope it’s like you said...
Maybe just some sort of initial response to adjust or something and won’t continually be doin this under certain circumstances. Please keep us posted if it does or doesn’t keep this practice up.
I haven’t gotten the 16.1.1 yet and I’m weary of hitting the install button when I do.

At least it should use the shore power (if connected and as I was) and not consume off of the HV battery as it was in my case at the rate of 1 mile/hr for at least 10-11 hours. Also because it ran for that long, I hope it's an one time process. Can't imagine this happens periodically as designed now. 1 mile/hr loss of HV battery when you are plugged in is a lot. I'll monitor this and post back here.

Tried that too. No difference. The noise does not stop even during the reboot.

Also, not sure if it's related but I noticed multiple downloads from Tesla to my car today for the first 4 to 5 hours when the noise began. Can it be this is a silent BMS patch that Tesla announced this week that is rolling out after the fire incident in Hong Konk? I updated my car to 2019.16.1.1 on May 14th and the news about this BMS fix came out on May 15th, so I don't think the BMS fix was included in 2019.16.1.1. Just a guess of course.

PS: Just checked. The noise is ongoing for 10 hours now.
So I had a similar experience with the humming/buzzing noise. Noticed it after the new software update. I just checked and it finally stopped. I charged overnight and it’s been about 3 hours since I unplugged. Make sense that it could be the new fire prevention but hopefully yours will shut off. I have a 2015 ms 70.

At least it should use the shore power (if connected and as I was) and not consume off of the HV battery as it was in my case at the rate of 1 mile/hr for at least 10-11 hours. Also because it ran for that long, I hope it's an one time process. Can't imagine this happens periodically as designed now. 1 mile/hr loss of HV battery when you are plugged in is a lot. I'll monitor this and post back here.

Should do the same for all "vampire loss" and stop cycling the 12V. Not sure this is on their radar.

So I had a similar experience with the humming/buzzing noise. Noticed it after the new software update. I just checked and it finally stopped. I charged overnight and it’s been about 3 hours since I unplugged. Make sense that it could be the new fire prevention but hopefully yours will shut off. I have a 2015 ms 70.

Thanks. As I mentioned later in this thread the noise finally had stopped after the minimum of 10-11 hours in my case. The bad part is that it consumed about 10 miles off of my main battery even though I was plugged in.

Should do the same for all "vampire loss" and stop cycling the 12V. Not sure this is on their radar.

Totally agreed. It's one thing if I'm not plugged in, another all together when I'm and it still uses the main battery. The only time I've noticed in 4 years of ownership when the shore power is used is when I use the app to remotely heat the car. Otherwise, I've never noticed the vertical green LED moving up/down on my HPWC, except when I'm charging of course.

Mine just stopped after 10.5 hours of continuous running. I happened to be in the shop working on another project at the time. After the pump stopped there was some pronounced gurgling and then silence. How strange. I believe it's some kind of test and data collection scheme launched with this update.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck9000
Mine just stopped after 10.5 hours of continuous running. I happened to be in the shop working on another project at the time. After the pump stopped there was some pronounced gurgling and then silence. How strange. I believe it's some kind of test and data collection scheme launched with this update.

I estimated mine to have taken about 10-11 hours which interestingly matches yours. My router also showed the download of 15MB and upload of 3MB between my car and the Tesla servers for the duration. I was plugged in for the whole time but lost 10 miles since the car never drew any power from my HPWC.

Were you plugged in during the process? How much of HV battery you lost?

I lost 8 miles. I was plugged in with the standard cable. As far as I can tell it never used power from the wall. I just go back from a short trip and the car powered down as usual, no new noises.

Bobby

Thanks. I hope this was a one-time thing. But I'll keep my eyes on it especially after the next charge since mine happened after a supercharge session and when I got home.

My pump is back running this morning. I estimate it has been running since the charging stopped at 1am. I have lost 5 miles just sitting the the garage. This change is taking life out of that pump.

This can't be the final solution for the battery fires. Using miles and killing a pump daily on my car.

Disappointed.

Tesla has also not replied to my service inquiry.

Bobby

Sorry to hear that @Bobasaurus
I am undecided on hitting the update button this AM. I keep thinking surely there would be much more discussion around the net and these forums If it was a widespread software change that is causing this on purpose.
It’s obvious listening to you guys there is something going on. Or maybe others just haven’t noticed it happening? Get out walk away at work or garage and never realize it?
I don’t know.

Based on two days of watching it seems to be an after charging event. If you charge and drive maybe the exercising of the battery takes the place of running the pump. I will watch closely tomorrow as I will take my usual 42 mile drive to work immediately after charging. Hopefully the pump will not be running for 9 more hours in the parking lot after my 1 hour drive to work.

My pump is back running this morning. I estimate it has been running since the charging stopped at 1am. I have lost 5 miles just sitting the the garage. This change is taking life out of that pump.

This can't be the final solution for the battery fires. Using miles and killing a pump daily on my car.

Disappointed.

Tesla has also not replied to my service inquiry.

Bobby

That's what I was afraid of to happen after every charge and the shortening the pump lifespan plus battery drain. I've not charged after the first occurrence.

How many miles the car was scheduled to charge? Also, how did you open your case with Tesla? In my case, when I called their support line they asked me to submit a bug report via steering wheel button. I did not go to a Service Center.

Sorry to hear that @Bobasaurus
I am undecided on hitting the update button this AM. I keep thinking surely there would be much more discussion around the net and these forums If it was a widespread software change that is causing this on purpose.
It’s obvious listening to you guys there is something going on. Or maybe others just haven’t noticed it happening? Get out walk away at work or garage and never realize it?
I don’t know.

My guess is the owners are not noticing it yet. If the car is parked outside it's very hard to notice. In the garage, you would definitely hear it.

Last edited:
Based on two days of watching it seems to be an after charging event. If you charge and drive maybe the exercising of the battery takes the place of running the pump. I will watch closely tomorrow as I will take my usual 42 mile drive to work immediately after charging. Hopefully the pump will not be running for 9 more hours in the parking lot after my 1 hour drive to work.

Don't be surprised if the pump runs after you arrive at work tomorrow. Mine happened after supercharging and after a 27 miles drive to home.