Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It exists because Tesla originally marketed the original 85 battery as the "300 mile range packs" and the 60 was supposed to be 250 I think. Then the EPA rated the 85 at 265 but "ideal" stayed, so they could still show you the 300 miles you had pre-ordered.

Well, this is mostly true if viewed from US perspective.

But Europe used to test electric car range with "NEDC cycle" which gives much too optimistic values. But since it was the official way, that is the "Rated" range here.

This causes a lot of confusion here in the forums where both US and European people are reading.

NEDC range = US "Ideal" range = European "Rated" range.
EPA range = US "Rated" range = European "Typical" range.

So here in Europe "Rated" is the ridiculously high value that no one uses, everyone is using "Typical" (which doesn't exist in the US) :)

A few years ago Europe switched to more realistic WLTP measurement. It's much closer to EPA, but still different. I'm not sure if newer European Teslas are using that?

Last night I charged our 2015 Tesla S 85 at 80%. This morning I unhooked the cable when I got a message that the charging was completed at 237 miles. Of course it was humming. After couple of hours after charging we got in the car to go out shopping. I was surprised to see that the battery was now showing 239 miles! This seems counter-intuitive. Most of the blog posting has been abut the pump draining the battery a bit.

I wonder if one of the recent SW updates squeezes few miles after it finishes charging?
Sometimes I'll "gain" a mile or two when the car is sitting. Typically when temp goes up. However, it happened yesterday without temp changing much and I charged to 50%, though only 1mi delta.

• Informative
Reactions: RobK
Awesome thread, I have a 2013 April build Model S. My battery pack was replaced after a failure this past October 29 2020 and ever since I have the new pack I have been experiencing this noice and mileage loss issue. I always charge to 80% so I will try the 70% charge method. I did had a loaner 2014 85 Model S this past week after my MCU failed and the loaner was not having this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Awesome thread, I have a 2013 April build Model S. My battery pack was replaced after a failure this past October 29 2020 and ever since I have the new pack I have been experiencing this noice and mileage loss issue. I always charge to 80% so I will try the 70% charge method. I did had a loaner 2014 85 Model S this past week after my MCU failed and the loaner was not having this issue.

Were you experiencing this issue with your previous pack?

Reactions: Mucall
I remember vaguely that Tesla cars use a pump to take any excessive SoC slowly down to 80% to reduce damage to the battery through long-term high SoC. Consider this a rumor; I have no proof.
I can confirm that it was doing that indeed since at least summer of 2019 through spring of 2020. As of recently, pump still runs at >80% SoC, but I did not see as great of a reduction in range, so who knows what they did now.

I can confirm that it was doing that indeed since at least summer of 2019 through spring of 2020. As of recently, pump still runs at >80% SoC, but I did not see as great of a reduction in range, so who knows what they did now.

These days I usually charge to 50%. 1) I do not need more range, and 2) to avoid the pumps running at higher SoC. Two days ago I charged to 90% after a long time. The pumps ran non-stop for hours. I lost 6 miles of range accordingly. I believe pumps stopped at about 80%.

So I'll join in on this. Just noticed the humming noise coming from under the front of the car. Just like in the video.
From what I read here it might not be a big issue, but what has happened over the past 5 months makes me a bit worried.
5 months ago I went to the SC to get a LTE upgrade. When I delivered the car I was told they would do a HV battery reseal at the same time, and so they did. 3 weeks ago I got a warning saying "vehicle coolant low", so I got an appointment at the SC - supposed to be may 10th. Two days ago, returning from the store, I got a message saying power would be reduced. Was reduced to the point where I couldn't get up the hill, so I had the car towed to the SC. After they replaced a 4 way valve and refilled the coolant I parted with $250 and took the car back home. (I live about 1/2 mile from the SC.) Plugged it in to the 230V as I always do at home. (charge to 80%) Took the car to the store today, all seemed fine. A few hours later - charging already complete - I step outside and notice this noise. Can I have damaged the pump by driving 15miles with low coolant? For the past year, due to the current situation with required home office, the car has only been used a few times a week, for short runs. After I got the low coolant warning even less. I also wonder if the low coolant 3 months (maybe 300 miles) after the battery reseal is just a coincidence or if they are related in some way.

I also wonder if the low coolant 3 months (maybe 300 miles) after the battery reseal is just a coincidence or if they are related in some way.

Water (or in this case coolant) always has a tendency to find a leak. My guess is the SC noticed the coolant level being low and figured the pack was seeping - which it very well may have been. Once the pack was resealed, the coolant found the next weakest point (the 4-way valve) and started leaking there.

An alternate theory is that the SC got it wrong completely and the issue was always the 4-way but they just assumed it was the pack and resealed it.

I don't think one action caused the other to happen though.

I have the same issue. 2014 P85. My pump has been running for 6 hours after a standard overnight charge @ 32amps. Over the last two years the car has never acted this way. Something changed in 2019.16.1.1 I am losing about 1 mile of charge per hour with the pump running.

I have also submitted the issue to Tesla. I also posted this on the 16.1.x thread.

Bobby
Hei, how can I submit the same issue to Tesla?? Thanks!

I have found that since te release of 2021.24.28 it has changed and the car now turns the cooling of. I haven’t yet monitored at what level but it does not run that long any more. It’s coming on from app. 78% of SoC and (in my case) few hours later the car is silence. Not yet seen the latest release for MCU1 cars…

I have found that since te release of 2021.24.28 it has changed and the car now turns the cooling of. I haven’t yet monitored at what level but it does not run that long any more. It’s coming on from app. 78% of SoC and (in my case) few hours later the car is silence. Not yet seen the latest release for MCU1 cars…
I got the V11 release of 2022.8.10.1 last week, so I guess I'm due for a test! 80%, here we come!