Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contractors who use the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do IT installs (wiring, building to building WiFi, etc.) and have been using my Model 3 for everything. I bought a 3-section 16' aluminum extension ladder and programmed a 'Ladder' profile so I can load it and have the seats adjust automatically. It's been pretty handy.

Reactions: gene
100+ parcels without breaking a sweat!
373FB99D-9AFC-4208-8DD3-D777F4A9D522.jpeg

This is not me, but it is my plumber. I talked him into getting rid of his F450 giant plumber's box- truck and into a Model X with trailer. He has been working like this for over two years and loves it. He says he only needs the trailer for big jobs. Most of the time he only needs the X. He drives over 100 miles a day so with his 8 mpg truck it was costing him a fortune. He is very, very happy with the setup he has now. He always looks like David Hasslehof, doesn't he?

70539156_10158479565347439_5000132408389926912_o.jpg
70652649_10158479565887439_7064073689737723904_o.jpg

View attachment 565577 View attachment 565578 View attachment 565577 I’m curious to know if anyone of you are contractors and are using the model 3 for work. I sure am and it’s blowing peoples minds. Did you know with the seats folded down you can fit ladders, empty pallets etc. I use my car daily for my needs as a contractor delivery materials to sites while not spending a dime on fuel and it’s saving me a fortune. 13,500 km since March 2020

I doubt it holds 4x8 sheet goods, but even if it did, I wouldn't dare. As careful as I try to be, my truck gets a dab of paint here, a scratch there, etc.

A) Not a Model 3
B) Not a building contractor
C) This thread is too much fun not to share anyway!

This past weekend I moved a dishwasher, eight 2"x2"x8' pieces of lumber and a couple hundred feet of coax plus random stuff over to my cabin all in the back of my Model S. Had plenty of room to add food, clothes, and more. Granted, the dishwasher was a half-height drawer style and the front seat was pushed too far forward to be usable. Turned on the rear camera since the rearview mirror was blocked and I was good to go!
S With Dishwaser.jpg

A couple summers back I was running audio in a park for a musical and had my trailer full of sound equipment with me. Tons of added utility and didn't have to touch the cargo or passenger space in the car. I wish the Model 3 came standard with towing in the US. I know they could handle small ones like a champ.
X With Trailer.jpg

I've been in a Tesla for just over 3.5 years and their utility is now normal to me. I still find it amusing (in a good way) that because they are electric, technology focused, or seen as luxury cars that the general mindset is that using them for "normal" or "work" activities strikes people as odd. I love explaining, nicely, how it being a "car" allows it to do normal "car" things (especially towing with the X)! ;)

I'm not a contractor but I like doing projects for myself. I hauled a 10' long pressure treated 6x6 timber on the Model 3 roof rack for the main support of the charging kiosk at my ski cabin (pictured below). It also hauled the 2 bags of concrete for the footing, two bundles of cedar shingles, miter saw, 30' of electrical conduit and conduit accessories, AWG #6 wire and other electrical items, Tesla HPWC, pick-axe, shovel, screw guns and toolbox full of various screws and nails, wood sealer and paintbrushes, wood preservative, etc.
upload_2020-7-20_23-22-16.png

This is not me, but it is my plumber. I talked him into getting rid of his F450 giant plumber's box- truck and into a Model X with trailer. He has been working like this for over two years and loves it. He says he only needs the trailer for big jobs. Most of the time he only needs the X. He drives over 100 miles a day so with his 8 mpg truck it was costing him a fortune. He is very, very happy with the setup he has now. He always looks like David Hasslehof, doesn't he?

View attachment 566811 View attachment 566812
Now that’s what I’m talking about pushing it to the max. Sounds similar to my story fuel wise

I'm not a contractor but I like doing projects for myself. I hauled a 10' long pressure treated 6x6 timber on the Model 3 roof rack for the main support of the charging kiosk at my ski cabin (pictured below). It also hauled the 2 bags of concrete for the footing, two bundles of cedar shingles, miter saw, 30' of electrical conduit and conduit accessories, AWG #6 wire and other electrical items, Tesla HPWC, pick-axe, shovel, screw guns and toolbox full of various screws and nails, wood sealer and paintbrushes, wood preservative, etc.
View attachment 567011
Wish you had a picture of that all loaded in. Nice work thanks for the share

Reactions: StealthP3D
View attachment 565577 View attachment 565578 View attachment 565577 I’m curious to know if anyone of you are contractors and are using the model 3 for work. I sure am and it’s blowing peoples minds. Did you know with the seats folded down you can fit ladders, empty pallets etc. I use my car daily for my needs as a contractor delivery materials to sites while not spending a dime on fuel and it’s saving me a fortune. 13,500 km since March 2020
Question: do people use their Tesla M3 to transport their dogs? We have two yellow labs that are constantly shedding. So I am so resigned to not allow them in the car. Any solutions?? I am ALL ears!!!!!

Question: do people use their Tesla M3 to transport their dogs? We have two yellow labs that are constantly shedding. So I am so resigned to not allow them in the car. Any solutions?? I am ALL ears!!!!!

We have designated my wife's Model 3 as the "dog car". But our only dog is only 33 lbs. He loves it!

The solution is lots of regular vacuuming. And I wouldn't do this with a dog that didn't have perfect behavior. Our friends Schipperke is the same size but he likes to stand up on the door armrest or windowsill so he can get closer to the outside world. He accidently activates the power windows too (yes, I know we could disable them). But the claws are not friendly to keeping the car presentable so we have banned him from the car. :(

My wife bought a heavy canvas seat cover that keeps the sand from going down into the seat cracks. It has two loops that go over the rear headrests.