Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converting a European TMX to be able to use superchargers in USA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I just bought or ordered a TMX 75D. As I live in Norway now I will get a European version naturally. The big question is that in about 2 years plan I m planning to move to US and wondering about how and what I need to do to make my car able to charges using free superchargers in US. As I understand we have 3 phase superchargers in Europe and somehow I need to convert my charging port and maybe the internal charger and wiring as well. Anyone have any experience and tips except selling the car and buying a new one in US.

When I asked about buying a used Tesla from sales advisors, their 1st tip was not buy a US spec car for Europe. Same applies other way around as well. I'm sure you may be able to exchange the charging parts (not at Tesla), but software would be quite a hack. It's possible that while you would have fully converted car, superchargers might not even accept it. Naturally, your car would be out of any warranty too. So selling your car and buying a similar US spec is the way to go.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I would sell you car there and get a new one in the states. The US and Europe have difference safety standards (ex. tail light operations) and other things that make it hard to bring in a car from outside the North America. Also, in addition to charging, there are other issues like streaming, no Spotify streaming in US:(

Supercharging is not 3-phase but DC-DC. Its the same everywhere. US spec cars use a different plug for single-phase at home charging, vice versa with Europe cars.

Strictly speaking, it is not supported by Tesla changing a EU-spec car to US-spec so you're better off buying a new one here. nevermind the hassles of importing a car to the USA>

• Helpful
Reactions: jboy210 and Rocky_H
So far, all your answers are exactly what you said you didn't want to hear.

Unfortunately, they're also right.

In addition to changing the chargeport and possibly the charger itself (and coding the car to accept the new pieces,) you'd have to do something about the missing knee airbags (required in the U.S., not permitted in the EU,) change the headlights if I remember right, and maybe a bunch of other details before you could legally import the car.