Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cool Tesla Model Y Blind Spot Mirrors!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to share as I have not seen these being discussed here. We started with these on our 3 and loved them. When we got the Y, visibility was definitely tougher and my wife was especially a little uncomfortable with it.

These mirrors are an exact fit on our 3. On the Y, the passenger side is perfect and the drivers side is just a tad off due to the housing impinging the top corner. The company does have a note about this. We all have manufacturing variations on these Teslas, so it not a shocker and it is really minimal. I played with the fit for a while before adhering and got it so it is just a tad on the outer side, it's really nothing compared to the added visibility. The most impressive aspect of these is not even so much the fit but rather the clarity. I have had a number of vehicles before the Teslas that had similar mirrors built in. I don't ever recall seeing a convex mirror this clear, there is none of that far away look.

These work really well with the dimming mirrors, since they are curved, they do not direct glare in the eyes. Being so clear, they are actually still useable if a car is along side of you at night and they help with parking too. These are definitely pricer than the usual stick on ones, but I highly recommend them if you are looking for an easy way to add visibility. The drivers side is night and day! Since the passenger mirror is already convex and you're looking over, the increase is not as much but it helps for parking. The drivers side is a super, super useful tool.

Got them direct, but I think they are also on Amazon too. Tesla Blind Spot Mirrors | NXTGEN Automotive

IMG_2967.jpegY3b.jpeg

Reactions: jcanoe
Our old Honda had a similar feature where there was cameras on the mirrors. When you turn the blinker on you saw the blindspot. I can't say I always use the blinker so it was not so useful 😁 In all serious it is nice always having this there. In case of emergency its a quick glance and not relying on any tech, which isn't always a bad thing.

I got these too, quality is better than other blind spot mirrors I've gotten in the past for my other cars. I initially placed them where they were intended, upper left for drivers but I couldn't get used it as I've always had my past mirrors in the lower right. Plus, the Y's mirrors are so small that It blocked my distance view of the adjacent lanes in the side mirror. I ended up removing it and moving them to the lower right and it actually looks more OEM that way, albeit, with less blind spot view. I also ended up ordering the Hansshow wide angle replacement mirrors to try so I can see which I'd like better.

Attachments

• IMG_1269.jpeg
    IMG_1269.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 893
I got these too, quality is better than other blind spot mirrors I've gotten in the past for my other cars. I initially placed them where they were intended, upper left for drivers but I couldn't get used it as I've always had my past mirrors in the lower right. Plus, the Y's mirrors are so small that It blocked my distance view of the adjacent lanes in the side mirror. I ended up removing it and moving them to the lower right and it actually looks more OEM that way, albeit, with less blind spot view. I also ended up ordering the Hansshow wide angle replacement mirrors to try so I can see which I'd like better.
These look mounted backwards, no? The thick part is usually on the inside of the car and shallower part towards the left lane (drivers mirror for instance).

That way you get more of the blind spot and adjacent lane than you would reflecting more of the side of your car.

At least that’s how it looks in the photo. Pic from driver POV would be helpful.

Interesting placement!

Here's the driver's POV view of it...its mounted appropriately as each mirror is labeled L/R.

That's a really interesting placement, I might try it too!! This company makes mirrors like this for the BMW X3 and X5, which are on the bottom outer corner. With the taller SUVs you can see it gives a nice view of the lines curb for parking, towing, etc. On models for cars, it goes in the upper corners. The lower outer corner is probably ideal, but you do get a really nice view around the vehicle for parking, which these things are curb eating machines!!

On top I get a really nice view of cars the come right up along side of me. Sometimes they will just rive along right behind where the seat belt is right in the blind spot and stay there. I can clearly see them in this with incredible clarity. The regular stick-on ones they are all far away and distorted and with these I can really tell what is going on and see right where they are.

I also like that up in the top corners, I can see car in the blind area 2 lanes over if I need to make a quick move or if a car moves in and out of a lane I can see it all in the little mirrors in the blind area.

But with your placement if you can still see the cars along side of you well, this placement might be great because of both blind spot and parking visibility.

Please let us know when you can compare with the wide angle replacement mirrors. I’m very curious how the field of view compares with this mirror-in-a-mirror.

Reactions: Gas&Electric
That's a really interesting placement, I might try it too!! This company makes mirrors like this for the BMW X3 and X5, which are on the bottom outer corner. With the taller SUVs you can see it gives a nice view of the lines curb for parking, towing, etc. On models for cars, it goes in the upper corners. The lower outer corner is probably ideal, but you do get a really nice view around the vehicle for parking, which these things are curb eating machines!!

On top I get a really nice view of cars the come right up along side of me. Sometimes they will just rive along right behind where the seat belt is right in the blind spot and stay there. I can clearly see them in this with incredible clarity. The regular stick-on ones they are all far away and distorted and with these I can really tell what is going on and see right where they are.

I also like that up in the top corners, I can see car in the blind area 2 lanes over if I need to make a quick move or if a car moves in and out of a lane I can see it all in the little mirrors in the blind area.

But with your placement if you can still see the cars along side of you well, this placement might be great because of both blind spot and parking visibility.
certainly you can see right along side but just not very far back but for me, i've been driving like 30 years with the blind spot mirror in this location so its hard to change. Having said that, i just got the Hansshow mirrors in yesterday and already swapped them out. Not entirely sure I'm sold on the wide angle mirrors either. I can definitely see blind spot much better and further back but because its convexed a bit, the image is a bit distorted and its also hard judging distance. Objects are most certainly closer than they appear. Gonna give this a few weeks to test too.

Please let us know when you can compare with the wide angle replacement mirrors. I’m very curious how the field of view compares with this mirror-in-a-mirror.
I just installed them yesterday and not sure if I like them yet. Definitely can see further back and also the blind spot but its harder to judge distance too and the image looks somewhat distorted. For sure, I don't have to turn my head, i can keep my eyes on the road, move my eyes left at the mirror and switch lanes. I probably just have to get used to it, spent 30 years driving with a blind spot mirror so its a bit hard to adjust.

Attachments

• IMG_1287.jpeg
    IMG_1287.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 802
Reactions: SpaceShipDrvr
I just installed them yesterday and not sure if I like them yet. Definitely can see further back and also the blind spot but its harder to judge distance too and the image looks somewhat distorted. For sure, I don't have to turn my head, i can keep my eyes on the road, move my eyes left at the mirror and switch lanes. I probably just have to get used to it, spent 30 years driving with a blind spot mirror so its a bit hard to adjust.
I had the wide angle mirrors on previous euro cars and I hated them.Took them off and sold them within a few days. It made the whole thing distorted and felt like I was on a bad ride looking over. I love the little ones from NXTGEN because I have one convex spot and I know where I'm looking and the rest of the mirror is normal, plus they are incredibly clear too. Less distorted than most any other convex I've ever tried. I also love my dimming mirrors, lots of big trucks and SUVs with crazy bright lights around here. I was stoked to find this solution from NXTGEN because for me at least, its the ideal mix/ solution 👍

certainly you can see right along side but just not very far back but for me, i've been driving like 30 years with the blind spot mirror in this location so its hard to change. Having said that, i just got the Hansshow mirrors in yesterday and already swapped them out. Not entirely sure I'm sold on the wide angle mirrors either. I can definitely see blind spot much better and further back but because its convexed a bit, the image is a bit distorted and its also hard judging distance. Objects are most certainly closer than they appear. Gonna give this a few weeks to test too.
I still might try your placement of the little mirrors. I have my regular mirrors pushed out pretty far so I see out fairly far on the outer part. The area I don't see is along the car and right behind me in the regular mirror. It's nice being able to see the normal stuff, then right along and just behind with the NXTGEN. Its a similar view to the regular mirror, center mirror and along the car all in one spot, between the two, having them on the upper outer corner. You get a big boost drivers side like this and less on the passenger side. But if you still get most of this with your placement, I might try because that looks like an awesome view for parking.

I purchased the NXTGEN Automotive Extended View blind spot mirror set for the Model Y from Amazon. I received the mirrors in the mail in just 3 days. (The mirror package I received is labeled Tesla Model F0335.)

Installation is simple. You will need some alcohol based glass cleaner (70% or 90% Isopropyl alcohol is recommended), a clean soft towel and a hair dryer. (If you skip the step where you heat up blind spot mirror once placed on the Tesla side view mirror with the hair dryer to soften the adhesive, then press and hold the blind spot mirror in place for 30 seconds NXTGEN warns that the blind spot mirror may later fall off.)

I don't know how these blind spot mirrors will hold up over the winter when the side view mirror heating element is activated. Also unknown is whether the blind spot mirrors will stay in place if you take the Tesla Model Y through a car wash.

These NXTGEN blind spot mirrors are made of clear, untinted glass, not plastic like you might find at an auto store. The website provides instructions for the installation and also provides information regarding fitment. These blind spot mirrors are not an exact fit as Tesla changed the shape of the side view mirrors (the revised shape has a slightly extended outer edge.) If that is a concern then don't order these mirrors.

If you install the blind spot mirrors as shown on the web site in the outer, upper corner of your driver and passenger side view mirrors there will be a gap of several mm on the outside edge where the contour of the blind spot mirror is not an exact duplicate of the contour of the current Tesla Model Y side view mirror.

I consider these NXTGEN blind spot mirrors to be a good accessory for the Tesla Model Y. I purchased these extended view mirrors because I am tired of having to check my side view mirror twice, even three times before changing lanes. If I decide that I like the extended view afforded by these blind spot mirrors I may upgrade to one of the aftermarket convex mirrors for the Tesla Model Y.

Here is the link to the website: Extended View Mirrors | Custom BMW Blind Spot Mirrors

Here is the Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GM5FNJL/

Last edited:
Wanted to add that if you later decide you don't want the NXTGEN blind spot mirrors on your Tesla side view mirrors they can be easily removed. To remove the blind spot mirrors you would heat up the blind spot mirror for a minute using a hair dryer and then use a length of dental floss or fishing line to cut through the adhesive tape. Then remove any remaining tape and adhesive using a soft tool such as a credit card, a clean cloth and some Isopropyl alcohol or other solvent.