Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Blind Spot Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried again this morning. Depending on the angle, I can see some of the oncoming. It was dark and the cars are coming over a crest and coming fast 50-60 mph, so I have to see them from far off. Some don't even have headlights on and I kinda struggle to trust the camera and react fast enough. I'll try again. I guess I'm old school but it's really hard for me to trust a camera vs naked eye.
Don’t force it just because we don’t understand or think it should be possible

There is a seller selling used mirrors (5 more, since I took 1). It is <$200 with shipping to the US. I have no idea about the quality of what I will receive...

UPDATE: Received the mirror yesterday and installed it. It is really nice to have the OEM dimming and heated functions while being able to see WAY better. My new favorite mod...

Before:

After:

I saw someone post about this in another forum as well and I found the mirror on eBay and installed it yesterday. Drove a lot today and the new mirror is a total GAMECHANGER. I always felt like I wasn't really seeing anything in the old mirror and this is a million times better. I wish I'd done this sooner.

I know there are cheaper wide angle mirrors out there but I wanted an OEM version to preserve all functions (auto-dim and heat) and this was totally worth it.

I've been driving my MYLR for a couple of weeks now. My previous cars always had the light in the mirror and that system works well. I find the Tesla system works well also. I configured the car to show the camera view on the side of the car where I'm changing lanes into when i engage the turn signal. That is a great view for changing lanes, better than turning your head around. The visualization on the left side of the screen also shows cars that are in your blind spot and I think makes them red if you turn on your signal and they are in your path.
yes we were thinking the same thing. We drove for decades without blind spot indicators. We never even thought about a blind spot in our new MY. We use the camera display and a slight look to the right as a double check.

I saw someone post about this in another forum as well and I found the mirror on eBay and installed it yesterday. Drove a lot today and the new mirror is a total GAMECHANGER. I always felt like I wasn't really seeing anything in the old mirror and this is a million times better. I wish I'd done this sooner.

I know there are cheaper wide angle mirrors out there but I wanted an OEM version to preserve all functions (auto-dim and heat) and this was totally worth it.

OEM is worth it... I'm glad I did it.

I don't let people drive my TMY, my wife really just drives her TM3 and I didn't do this mod on her car, but I plan to let anyone know who drives it that they need to be careful. It might be my astigmatism and my multifocal glasses, but it is really hard to judge distance (you see every vehicle, but it is hard to know how far behind you the vehicle is). The fact that I know a vehicle is there now, is the benefit to this mirror, before I wouldn't even see the vehicle.

I haven't looked for one for my wife's car because I don't have this blind spot with the 3.

I do think the US spec driver's side mirrors not being convex is better in general if you do not have a blind spot, but with a blind spot, it is dangerous to not have convex mirrors.