Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Blind Spot Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, the poor visibility out the back has been one of the low points of this car. It's not the blind spot encountered in normal driving so much, as I can deal with that.

There is a six lane road with an island in the middle, soon as I exit my subdivision. The road is super busy and to make a left turn, I have to scoot into a small space in the middle of the road and wait before I can make the left. At that point, the car is sitting at a 135 degree angle to the road. If I try to do a 90 degree, either the front or rear will end up in oncoming lanes. No mirrors or cameras can help at this degree, so I'm looking out that small triangular window in the back, trying to see what's coming. This is something I have to do every day, multiple times a day. It sucks. My Dodge truck had great visibility.
your subdivision location just sucks. that's all. :cool:

^^^this. I'm surprised that exiting your subdivision, it's LEGAL for you to have to scoot across 3 lanes of traffic to make a left turn. Using mirrors while at a 135 degree angle to the road isn't going to be solved by mirror adjustments.

I think the back window is perfectly adequate, and I'm a rear-view voyeur. I know the make/model/year of EVERY vehicle behind me, 3-across, and can even recognize what brand of tires are on their vehicles. (I am not making this up! [Dave Barry quote])

Last edited:
Reactions: nate704
Would it help to turn on the rear-view camera?
Not at all. The only option I have, is to strain my neck to see what's coming. The angle negates all the aids....

Forgive my horrible skills but this drawing kinda explains it. Think of HEAVY traffic coming fast both ways. I have to make it to the middle while turned at an angle so the front and rear don't get clipped. It would take about ten minutes If I were to try and wait for both sides to be clear.

Completed-ROAD-DIAGRAM.png

your subdivision location just sucks. that's all. :cool:
Agreed! It's the kind of intersection that is always littered with car parts from accidents. I've been petitioning for a light for a long time, but there is a traffic light about 400 feet away. Yeah, this won't be the normal experience but my point is that at certain angles, the poor visibility is horrendous. I just happen to go thru it every day. LOL

Last edited:
Not at all. The only option I have, is to strain my neck to see what's coming. The angle negates all the aids....

Forgive my horrible skills but this drawing kinda explains it. Think of HEAVY traffic coming fast both ways. I have to make it to the middle while turned at an angle so the front and rear don't get clipped. It would take about ten minutes If I were to try and wait for both sides to be clear.

Completed-ROAD-DIAGRAM.png

Agreed! I've been petitioning for a light for a long time, but there is a traffic light about 400 feet away.
It would be much more safe and pain-free if you can just right turn out and make a u turn 400 feet away which will take much less time and effort.

It would be much more safe and pain-free if you can just right turn out and make a u turn 400 feet away which will take much less time and effort.
Sometimes I do when no other choice. Six of one, half dozen of the other. You have to make it from right lane to left very quickly and I overstated, it's something like 300 ft or less.... it comes up QUICK, so not easy when the traffic is heavy and zooming fast.

The intersection is even worse than the first drawing. There is also a church daycare across the street with people going in and out all morning, people making U turns, etc.. It actually looks like this..... blue line is me and green is what I have to contend with. It's so bad it's laughable. The only traffic control is a single stop sign as I leave the subdiv.

Completed-ROAD-DIAGRAM-2.png

Last edited:
2586A409-882D-41B7-9E3E-C196F46286D8.jpeg

Obviously you are the one living this but based on your drawings, I don’t understand how your cameras aren’t useful. Your field of view (FOV) with repeaters (red), your rear camera (blue) and your eyes (green) seems like it would allow you to see everything needed to jump in especially if you’re not on chill mode.

Although I can see from your follow up drawing this is crazy intersection, so I’m not questioning that at all. I would not enjoy having to navigate that.

Chuck Cook runs this exact scenario against every new version of FSDBeta and that can pull it off 90% of the time these days using the cameras. Maybe your intersection has more traffic than his but I just don't understand how turning on the three camera view wouldn't show you all the traffic coming from behind in the lane you are trying to get into? Wyodude's diagram makes sense to me.

Reactions: WyoDude
Obviously you are the one living this but based on your drawings, I don’t understand how your cameras aren’t useful. Your field of view (FOV) with repeaters (red), your rear camera (blue) and your eyes (green) seems like it would allow you to see everything needed to jump in especially if you’re not on chill mode.

Although I can see from your follow up drawing this is crazy intersection, so I’m not questioning that at all. I would not enjoy having to navigate that.
Believe me, I've tried. The oncoming traffic is not caught in the field of view for any of the cameras and not visible in the rear view mirror either. Remember, the cameras are pretty much looking behind from sides and rear....look at where the rear of the car is facing. If you can't see it out the side view mirror, the side camera probably won't catch it either. That's what they replicate.

Believe me, I've tried. The oncoming traffic is not caught in the field of view for any of the cameras and not visible in the rear view mirror either. Remember, the cameras are pretty much looking behind from sides and rear....look at where the rear of the car is facing. If you can't see it out the side view mirror, the side camera probably won't catch it either. That's what they replicate.
I’m guessing then in reality compared to your diagram that you car is actually more north/south oriented rather than east/west like in the pic. Anyways, doesn’t matter, that’s a tough situation

I was fine with the passenger side mirrors, but I struggled with driver's side stock. I mean I made it work, but it wasn't as comfortable of a view as I had in either my last car or my van. I think it's due to the shape of the mirror.

I didn't want a stick on blindspot mirror add on and did not want to lose any OEM functionality. I did some research and bought a EU left hand mirror off ebay.

It's also taken a bit of getting used as the depth perception is definitely different to but you can absolutely see way more of what's beside and behind you. Happy with this mod. Game changer on the highway.

I know it's impossible to get 100% accurate comparisons without tripods etc, but look at the view difference with the edge of the fender still caught in the bottom right of both mirrors:

Stock NA mirror
1691681115348.png

EU Tesla Mirror
1691681172196.png

Reactions: retbesla
I was fine with the passenger side mirrors, but I struggled with driver's side stock. I mean I made it work, but it wasn't as comfortable of a view as I had in either my last car or my van. I think it's due to the shape of the mirror.

I didn't want a stick on blindspot mirror add on and did not want to lose any OEM functionality. I did some research and bought a EU left hand mirror off ebay.

It's also taken a bit of getting used as the depth perception is definitely different to but you can absolutely see way more of what's beside and behind you. Happy with this mod. Game changer on the highway.

I know it's impossible to get 100% accurate comparisons without tripods etc, but look at the view difference with the edge of the fender still caught in the bottom right of both mirrors:

I plan on doing this. I want to keep the dimming functionality.

I’m guessing then in reality compared to your diagram that you car is actually more north/south oriented rather than east/west like in the pic. Anyways, doesn’t matter, that’s a tough situation
I tried again this morning. Depending on the angle, I can see some of the oncoming. It was dark and the cars are coming over a crest and coming fast 50-60 mph, so I have to see them from far off. Some don't even have headlights on and I kinda struggle to trust the camera and react fast enough. I'll try again. I guess I'm old school but it's really hard for me to trust a camera vs naked eye.

Ya the one I bought was used. I figured as long as it was all good glass and connectors it didn't have to be new. I paid under $200US including shipping and wasn't dinged any duty or taxes, though I imagine that's hit or miss.

I had seen them up and over $300 but just kept watching for one that was more reasonable.

The date code on my original mirror was 02/23 and the date code on the mirror I received was 12/22. Not too bad, though again I imagine that's hit or miss used.

Stock NA mirror
View attachment 963744

EU Tesla Mirror
View attachment 963745
I agree with you completely. Even after clipping off those two stops, the driver’s side mirror still does not show as much as other cars I have.
I also think if I can get used to the camera display it would be non issue, but the display is still too small (for my eyes) to be able to see quickly. If Tesla can make it bigger to cover the whole right side (where the navigation map is), then I think it would work out much better. We don’t need to see the navigation map when we are trying to make a lane change.

I agree with you completely. Even after clipping off those two stops, the driver’s side mirror still does not show as much as other cars I have.
I also think if I can get used to the camera display it would be non issue, but the display is still too small (for my eyes) to be able to see quickly. If Tesla can make it bigger to cover the whole right side (where the navigation map is), then I think it would work out much better. We don’t need to see the navigation map when we are trying to make a lane change.

If you are on FSDb you can slide over the visualization to make the surrounding vehicles larger (assuming you don't need to see the Navi). But this is only on beta as far as I know. I have it on both my 3/Y.

But even with that, the actual Camera view is not larger. It would be nice if the full screen displayed the camera... Just while the blinker is on.

I tried again this morning. Depending on the angle, I can see some of the oncoming. It was dark and the cars are coming over a crest and coming fast 50-60 mph, so I have to see them from far off. Some don't even have headlights on and I kinda struggle to trust the camera and react fast enough. I'll try again. I guess I'm old school but it's really hard for me to trust a camera vs naked eye.
the more you post the more it seems like a turn you shouldn't be making - accident waiting to happen.

Reactions: Pianewman