Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Blind Spot Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That means you still do not know how to properly adjust. You can't possibly run out of range on any car mirrors.
It literally will not move out any further. The mirror housing is blocking the outside edge view of the mirror. I can still see the side of my car in the mirror. I have a Euro aspheric drivers side mirror and I still feel like I have a blind spot. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Never had a car like this. Maybe the Model Y is different. But the blind spots and mirror adjustments on the Model 3 are terrible.

It literally will not move out any further. The mirror housing is blocking the outside edge view of the mirror. I can still see the side of my car in the mirror. I have a Euro aspheric drivers side mirror and I still feel like I have a blind spot. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Never had a car like this. Maybe the Model Y is different. But the blind spots and mirror adjustments on the Model 3 are terrible.
You might try adjusting your seat. But between the warnings, the center console visuals, the cameras, and the mirrors you should feel more comfortable about what's around you

I had trouble getting the driver's side mirror to move up and left far enough in the MY. Don't have the same problem with the mirrors in the M3 or MS.

Took the mirror glass off the MY driver side and lightly trimmed the plastic stops in the housing. That let me get just enough additional movement in the mirror glass to set the mirror to my liking. Trimmed the stops more than 2 years ago and haven't had any issues.

I had trouble getting the driver's side mirror to move up and left far enough in the MY. Don't have the same problem with the mirrors in the M3 or MS.

Took the mirror glass off the MY driver side and lightly trimmed the plastic stops in the housing. That let me get just enough additional movement in the mirror glass to set the mirror to my liking. Trimmed the stops more than 2 years ago and haven't had any issues.
I don’t know if it is still the case in later models. My 2021 LRMY has to have two small tabs (on the left side behind the mirror) removed to make it move further out. if you don’t know about this, you can search here in the forum for info.

That means you still do not know how to properly adjust. You can't possibly run out of range on any car mirrors.
They are right. I have a 3 and a Y and have practiced proper mirror adjustment on every vehicle I’ve owned. If you are tall in a 3, the mirrors will not go out far enough unless you aim them down. if you are shorter your mirrors are typically low enough that the doesn’t make contact with the upper outside of the mirror housing.

This is why I mentioned earlier in this thread how on my Y the sweet spot cant be reached for my driver side. I have to aim it downwards to get the proper view. On the passenger side I don’t have this problem.

If you want to see what we are saying, raise your drivers seat all the way up, then try to adjust your drivers side mirror. As you go outwards, you will see what we mean.

Reactions: frankvb
They are right. I have a 3 and a Y and have practiced proper mirror adjustment on every vehicle I’ve owned. If you are tall in a 3, the mirrors will not go out far enough unless you aim them down. if you are shorter your mirrors are typically low enough that the doesn’t make contact with the upper outside of the mirror housing.

This is why I mentioned earlier in this thread how on my Y the sweet spot cant be reached for my driver side. I have to aim it downwards to get the proper view. On the passenger side I don’t have this problem.

If you want to see what we are saying, raise your drivers seat all the way up, then try to adjust your drivers side mirror. As you go outwards, you will see what we mean.
I can confirm that for the Y mirrors (I'm 6'3).

Thanks again for all the great responses. I went on another test drive two days ago—drove the YLR and the 3 SR and P. Brilliant cars. One thing, the Chicago store is downtown, I’m from a smaller town so harder to feel comfortable in the somewhat unfamiliar Chicago congestion. I do have to go to Chicago a few times a year. I’m about 90 miles away.
Good to hear that blind spot concern is manageable w/ mirrors and camera and just getting used to it. Those suma mirrors look pretty cool if they work as well as some of the pictures. I think MY may be best for me but I’m Waiting, I want see what Highland is.

I just spent 30 days away from my Tesla, driving a 2017 Prius and 2019 Avalon, both with blind spot monitoring lights in the mirrors.

I had become so accustomed to the Tesla system that I was uncomfortable at first with the mirror lights. I adjusted quickly and found them very convenient.

The Tesla system isn't intuitive at all, but once mastered, gives a much broader vision of the blind spot. It took me 10 minutes today to revert back to being comfortable with the Tesla system.

I took a Tesla Uber and he exclusively would turn on turn signal so camera would come up, and if clear move over without using mirrors. I was used to looking in mirrors and turning my head first and then signaling, but am working on signaling, using camera, and then a quick look in the mirror as I start over. Takes some practice after doing it one way for 40 years.

I had the exact same thing happen. Mobile service replaced the left hand mirror assembly and it fixed it.

I'm actually having mobile service today (in the next 30 minutes) to replace the mirror housing assembly on my '21 TMY because of a shaking issue while driving at speed and over bumps. I have no idea if newer housings have less of a "bump stop" to allow more range with the outward turning. If not, as long as my vibration is resolved, I will attempt to trim the bump stops to get more range (I'll take pictures).

I wish Tesla adds an audible chime when you turn on the turn signal when someone is in your blind spot. The 3D visualization already highlights the car in red so why not just add the option for a chime? I know there's a collision warning chime but that only works if you are about to hit them.

I almost use the turn signal cameras exclusively now. You don't need to check your blind spots because the cameras already have 90 deg FOV. Also turning your head to check your blind spot is more dangerous than just quickly glancing at the screen.

Reactions: Santonix and fsb1
With properly adjusted mirrors, no issue at all. Its actually a bit worse on the drivers side to me, not passenger, but it works fine. I use the camera as a final glance / check.

I grew up without fancy blind spot sensors etc though, so perhaps it doesnt bother me like It seems to bother others.
This. adjust the driver's side wing mirror so that it picks up where the rear view mirror stops. Another method is to put your head up to the window and adjust the mirror so you can just see the side of the car. Either way it covers the blind spot well and is better than a light and way better than having to look at the center console to see an image.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
This. adjust the driver's side wing mirror so that it picks up where the rear view mirror stops. Another method is to put your head up to the window and adjust the mirror so you can just see the side of the car. Either way it covers the blind spot well and is better than a light and way better than having to look at the center console to see an image.

It was mentioned that the MY doesn't extend far enough for some of us taller guys (my seat is all the way back). After being used to the proper mirror adjustment on other vehicles and my TM3, when I got my TMY (my wife drives the 3) I immediately noticed that even with proper adjustment, it left a slight blind spot on the driver side. For me it is slight, but it exists and I can't get rid of it without turning it out a bit more.

It was mentioned that the MY doesn't extend far enough for some of us taller guys (my seat is all the way back). After being used to the proper mirror adjustment on other vehicles and my TM3, when I got my TMY (my wife drives the 3) I immediately noticed that even with proper adjustment, it left a slight blind spot on the driver side. For me it is slight, but it exists and I can't get rid of it without turning it out a bit more.
I'm 6'5" and have my seat all the way back. If I turn my head to look in the mirror the car enters my peripheral vision as it leaves the area covered by the mirror.

I'm 6'5" and have my seat all the way back. If I turn my head to look in the mirror the car enters my peripheral vision as it leaves the area covered by the mirror.
The gap is the outside, not the inside. Between the side view mirror and having to look back with your head. Normally you would only just see the vehicle when it goes from rear view to side view and not see the vehicle in both. But because it can't go out as far as it would ideally, you see the vehicle in both mirrors which limits and means you have to actually turn you head to look in the outer blind spot.

In most over vehicles, including my 3, when the mirrors are properly setup you will never see a vehicle in 2 mirrors at the same time, and before a vehicle leaves the outside of the driver's side view mirror it is already next to you (even with you).

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Unfortunately, the poor visibility out the back has been one of the low points of this car. It's not the blind spot encountered in normal driving so much, as I can deal with that.

There is a six lane road with an island in the middle, soon as I exit my subdivision. The road is super busy and to make a left turn, I have to scoot into a small space in the middle of the road and wait before I can make the left. At that point, the car is sitting at a 135 degree angle to the road. If I try to do a 90 degree, either the front or rear will end up in oncoming lanes. No mirrors or cameras can help at this degree, so I'm looking out that small triangular window in the back, trying to see what's coming. This is something I have to do every day, multiple times a day. It sucks. My Dodge truck had great visibility.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the poor visibility out the back has been one of the low points of this car. It's not the blind spot encountered in normal driving so much, as I can deal with that.

There is a six lane road with an island in the middle, soon as I exit my subdivision. The road is super busy and to make a left turn, I have to scoot into a small space in the middle of the road and wait before I can make the left. At that point, the car is sitting at a 135 degree angle to the road. If I try to do a 90 degree, either the front or rear will end up in oncoming lanes. No mirrors or cameras can help at this degree, so I'm looking out that small triangular window in the back, trying to see what's coming. This is something I have to do every day, multiple times a day. It sucks. My Dodge truck had great visibility.
Would it help to turn on the rear-view camera?