Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corner Balancing and alignment after coilover install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you have adjustable sway bar end links, I don't know that a proper corner balancing can be performed. I guess they can get you close enough, but there will be some mount of preload that will be present.

Alignment for sure, the corner balance isn't super mandatory but it's a good idea and since you have the adjustability with the coilovers, might as well.

Thanks guys. Any recommendations for places to go in San Diego / So Cal?

Unless you have adjustable sway bar end links, I don't know that a proper corner balancing can be performed. I guess they can get you close enough, but there will be some mount of preload that will be present.

@SD_Engnr Would you mind explaining this? Since the end link attachment point on the damper is below the spring preload section or the unsprung portion of the suspension. Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Thanks guys. Any recommendations for places to go in San Diego / So Cal?

I've got an appointment next week at HG Performance in San Marcos.
@SD_Engnr Would you mind explaining this? Since the end link attachment point on the damper is below the spring preload section or the unsprung portion of the suspension. Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Check your front sway bar end links. You should notice that there is pre-load being induced because the front sway doesn't easily rotate. Yes, the attachment point is below the spring preload section, but it's location relative to the stock location moves as soon as you alter the height of the car. If you don't adjust the length when you lower the car, you're now pulling up on the front sway bar.

See crude picture that I quickly made:
Front sway bar.jpg

I've got an appointment next week at HG Performance in San Marcos.

Check your front sway bar end links. You should notice that there is pre-load being induced because the front sway doesn't easily rotate. Yes, the attachment point is below the spring preload section, but it's location relative to the stock location moves as soon as you alter the height of the car. If you don't adjust the length when you lower the car, you're now pulling up on the front sway bar.

See crude picture that I quickly made:
View attachment 431186

So what's the fix for this? Also MPP talks about retorquing suspension bushings at the new ride height but which ones? They can't all be critical.

So what's the fix for this? Also MPP talks about retorquing suspension bushings at the new ride height but which ones? They can't all be critical.

The bushings to be concerned with in the rear will be the lower knuckle and damper bolts, and for the front, I'm assuming just the damper bolt, but not completely sure.

Adjustable end links will fix the pre-load issue. Or, if you spent $$$$ on the MCS coilovers, they have an adjustable end link bracket.

I've installed and am testing a universal Whiteline end links for the front, and am awaiting a pair for the rear. I'll share this info as soon as I confirm whether or not they'll allow for a proper corner balancing of the car.

I've also reached out to SPL Parts, and they currently have a lot of R&D going on right now, and have designed a few of the rear arms. Not sure of the official timeline, but they commented that it shouldn't be too much longer before they release their products for the 3.

The bushings to be concerned with in the rear will be the lower knuckle and damper bolts, and for the front, I'm assuming just the damper bolt, but not completely sure.

Adjustable end links will fix the pre-load issue. Or, if you spent $$$$ on the MCS coilovers, they have an adjustable end link bracket.

I've installed and am testing a universal Whiteline end links for the front, and am awaiting a pair for the rear. I'll share this info as soon as I confirm whether or not they'll allow for a proper corner balancing of the car.

I've also reached out to SPL Parts, and they currently have a lot of R&D going on right now, and have designed a few of the rear arms. Not sure of the official timeline, but they commented that it shouldn't be too much longer before they release their products for the 3.

Thanks for the explanation. Please do keep us posted on the adjustable end-links. I guess I will be postponing my corner balancing appt next week.

Thanks for the explanation. Please do keep us posted on the adjustable end-links. I guess I will be postponing my corner balancing appt next week.

Will do. Rears arrive tomorrow, and if they look like they'll fit, I'll install them.

They can probably get you close, but that might require setting the side to side ride heights differently to account for the preload.

Quick update -

Corner balance and alignment complete! Toe was way off, and that could have been a result of the coilover and adjustable toe and camber arm install (install shop modified the lengths even though directions said not to...). This likely contributed to some irregular tire wear that was then causing the car to pull left after the alignment (with hands off the wheel). The shop performed a road force balance on the wheels/tires, and then rotated them to reduce/eliminate the pull. Car handles and feels much more planted now.

Endlinks: Whiteline KLC180-295 (front), KLC102 (rear)

I installed MPP toe and camber arms on my P3. Despite what MPP instructions claimed that the arm are pre-adjuster from them, I found that to be the contrary for the parts I received. Both toe and camber arm were preset ~7mm too long compare to stock arms. If I have not verified with stock arms, my car would have comical amount of toe out and positive camber.

Attached are photos of MPP arm right out of box compare to stock P3 arms.

1422D956-4E00-4FB7-9944-5CDFC43FAAC7.jpeg 867CE72A-B1A6-4ACE-ACFB-D7CA53D48049.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65 and wenkan
Quick update -

Corner balance and alignment complete! Toe was way off, and that could have been a result of the coilover and adjustable toe and camber arm install (install shop modified the lengths even though directions said not to...). This likely contributed to some irregular tire wear that was then causing the car to pull left after the alignment (with hands off the wheel). The shop performed a road force balance on the wheels/tires, and then rotated them to reduce/eliminate the pull. Car handles and feels much more planted now.

Endlinks: Whiteline KLC180-295 (front), KLC102 (rear)
Nice! Good to hear your car is doing good now.

Did you go to HG Performance? I tried scheduling with them but they’re not opened on weekends so I’ll have to wait and see when I can go.