Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Correct tool and instructions for removing the Model S nose cone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calling out folks living in the bay area. Has anyone tried putting your Fastrak behind the nosecone? I would like to do this too if it works. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Search the forums and you will find the answer (...actually many posts on the subject and also over at the TM forums). You can get the black rectangular exterior license plate version and mount it (heavy duty Velcro and/or cable ties) to the black front bumper. Works great. Do NOT use the interior white one (not meant to get wet). Keep the interior one in the glovebox for when you have a loaner.

BTW rumor has it that sometime in the next year or so the SF Bay Area will convert to the switchable versions like used in SoCA.

There was another thread that said it could be removed without the tool, just by pressing properly on the frunk ledge or something. I think there's a video out there of someone just popping it open. This would probably make it easier though.

I know it sounds crazy, but this works: I simply open the frunk. Sit lightly right on top of latch area and do a quick thump with my but. The top of the cone pops right out and then I simply gently dislodge the lower clips. It doesn't take much pressure to pop it loose. I have not seen any issues with reinstalling the cone or any sort of bending or deformation of the area.

A friend taught me it.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Here's how it's done. CgiGuy posted it in this thread: Lighted T Install on Vimeo

I know it sounds crazy, but this works: I simply open the frunk. Sit lightly right on top of latch area and do a quick thump with my but. The top of the cone pops right out and then I simply gently dislodge the lower clips. It doesn't take much pressure to pop it loose. I have not seen any issues with reinstalling the cone or any sort of bending or deformation of the area.

A friend taught me it.