Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Correct way to disengage autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. I do this all the time in my S so I don’t inadvertently speed too. I don’t have our Model 3 yet but am curious about a work around to still be able to do this.

The work-around is not good: Slowly turning the thumb wheel changes the set speed 1 mph (or maybe 1 kph if set to show km) if you turn it slowly. But if you flick it rapidly it changes by 5 mph. So if you engage AP and immediately and rapidly flick it down the appropriate number of times you can hold it to the speed you want. This is not good, because it requires more thought than it should, and since it will accelerate rapidly you only have an instant to do it.

I do this on neighborhood streets where the limit is 25 and the car thinks it's 30 or 35, but only if the street is clear. I do not enter AP in a school zone. OTOH, if I'm already in AP as I approach a school zone, then slowing down before I get to the zone is easy using the thumb wheel. It's just like slowing down before reaching a stretch of winding road where there's a slower limit. The thumb wheel works very nicely if you're already in AP or TACC.

Reactions: gravastar
I agree.

I'm the only one I know who does this but I like to set my cruise control to 20 mph in a school zone. That lets me look exclusively at my surroundings without having to keep glancing over to ensure I haven't exceeded 20 mph.

The first time I tried to set 20 mph in my M3 in a school zone, I learned pretty quickly I wouldn't be doing that again.

Your not the only one - I like to to this as well.

Model 3 defaults the initial TACC speed to the greater of your current speed or the speed limit warning you set up in Auto Pilot speed assist setting.

As a work-around, I have set my speed warning limit to the lowest absolute speed allowed (20 mph). Now, when I initiate TACC the initial speed will be either 20 mph or (more typically) my current speed, whichever is greater. You just have to live with the small warning icon that is displayed for a few seconds each time you go over 20 mph, and you cannot setup a warning when you may want one, like over 85 mph. Hopefully, a future software update will realize that the speed limit warning and initial TACC speed should not be one and the same setting.

How to stop AP without braking? Easy.. gently tap the brakes.. you will see that AP will be disengaged and no braking will actually happen..

It’s a lot safer and simpler than risking shifting the car into neutral or reverse.

Problem solved.
Flipping the shift lever up to disengage TACC and EAP is not risking shifting into reverse or neutral and is the smoothest way to do it as you can add accelerator pedal so car doesn't use full regen to slow down. Shifting into neutral is done by pushing lever up half way for 2 seconds. You can't hurt the car by shifting into drive or reverse at inappropriate speeds. It just won't do it. There are no gears that ever shift.

Flipping the shift lever up to disengage TACC and EAP is not risking shifting into reverse or neutral.

It won't shift into reverse (that I know of), but it will shift into neutral if you hold the lever up for too long. I've done it accidentally a couple of times. It's can be pretty dangerous because you'll lose acceleration and some braking (regen) in a situation where you may need them. It also may take you a while to figure out what happened because it's not immediately obvious.

As a work-around, I have set my speed warning limit to the lowest absolute speed allowed (20 mph). Now, when I initiate TACC the initial speed will be either 20 mph or (more typically) my current speed, whichever is greater.

I just tried this again, and it did not work this time. I initiated TACC while going below the speed limit. It set the cruising speed to the current speed limit instead of my lower current speed. I know this has worked for me before, so not sure what is going on. The manual is ambiguous regarding this.

When I took delivery of my 3, I asked the DS how to disable autopilot on the 3. He said to steer or brake. I know that on X, I could just Push the stalk forward. I asked him if I could just go up on the stalk, he said he is not sure. So I just tried it as soon as AP was calibrated. It seems to work every time I never went into Neutral. On the X, I know that if you push the gear stalk up while driving, it won't do anything. You have to push it up twice to go into Neutral. I guess a LONG up may do that too, but never really tried it.