Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Auto wipers on when in Autopilot normal? [yes]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok something weird happened tonight. I was driving on the highway and when I engaged cruise control my wipers turned on. I tried to use voice commands to turn them off but the wipers wouldn't disengage. When I pulled up the interface the off icon was unresponsive, wipers were in automatic, however I was able to change wiper speeds from I-III.
If I disengaged cruise control by stepping on the brake, the off icon for the wipers became responsive and I was able to turn them off.
I rebooted the screen but there was no change. The issue was repeated three more times.
Two days ago the car charged to 90% however I never changed the setting from 80% but the setting was changed.
Finally, I had a few days where the climate control would turn on after I put the car in park. This seems to have stoped or it may be intermittent. I need to keep monitoring this.
Last update was approximately a week and a half ago and was not done at home but was done at work using over the air connection and not a network.
Thoughts on what to do?
Anyone else have this issue?
Very bizarre, I will contact Tesla if it occurs again when I take the car out next.
TIA

Hi,
When you engage Autopilot - the auto wipers & auto high beam headlamps are switched on by default.
You can switch off the auto high beams - using the stalk but you cannot disengage the auto wipers.
That is why you could only switch wipers off totally when you were not in Autopilot!
Cheers
Steve

Reactions: HitchHiker71
About the HVAC constantly coming on by itself, I experience the same thing but moving the seats a little and hitting save with the HVAC seems to help a little bit I still run into the issue from time to time.

Reactions: Mr Limpet
It is in the manual, have you read it?

Thanks, it was late last night when I got home and posted this. I found another thread afterwards discussing this issue. Seems a bit to bizarre to be something that would be addressed in the owners manual, but you learn something new everyday.

Anyone know why the vision only 3 and Y enforce the auto highbeams and auto wipers but the vision only S/X don’t?
No and it is maddening, isn't it? I'm contemplating a 1500 mile trip in a few weeks. The weather should be fine for most of the drive. But I will have only two choices: 1. Avoid use of autopilot (and I paid $6,000 for Enhanced +Autopilot!), or 2. Run wipers continuously on a dry windshield. Neither choice has any appeal whatsoever. Mine is a 2 week old LRMY.

No and it is maddening, isn't it? I'm contemplating a 1500 mile trip in a few weeks. The weather should be fine for most of the drive. But I will have only two choices: 1. Avoid use of autopilot (and I paid $6,000 for Enhanced +Autopilot!), or 2. Run wipers continuously on a dry windshield. Neither choice has any appeal whatsoever. Mine is a 2 week old LRMY.
I feel your pain and am also facing a cross country trip soon with no cruise control because auto wipers go off constantly and incessantly. Tesla needs to go back to simple cruise control until they fix this issue. Autopilot in its current state is a complete rip off.

Reactions: cwerdna
Updated my M3P last night and turned on cruise for my commute only to immediately be assaulted by dry auto-wipers. Disabled cruise and drove manually for a few miles and tried again - this time it was fine. 12 miles later they randomly came on again and would not stop until I disengaged cruise. Rinse and repeat.

Drove the majority of my commute manually and immediately came here to see if anyone else was experiencing this issue. Absolutely insane.

Reactions: cwerdna
I feel your pain and am also facing a cross country trip soon with no cruise control because auto wipers go off constantly and incessantly. Tesla needs to go back to simple cruise control until they fix this issue. Autopilot in its current state is a complete rip off.
Update: After thoroughly cleaning my windshield - especially - in front of the cameras - I had much better results. While the wipers did engage briefly at first, they did not repeat.

Reactions: Arthur31
I posted a rant about this in another thread the other day:

I'm just here to add and vent my frustration with this on my 2018 Model 3

It's one thing to have auto-wipers and auto-high beams when double tapping the stock to engage autopilot, autosteer, or FSD. I don't argue with that because yes, the camera needs to see. But don't force that irritation on me when I only single tap the stock for cruise control. I hate the TACC features too.

I have FSD and recently disabled it because I could no longer simply engage cruise control on our 100 series highways here in Ontario (speed limit of 80km/h). An error message that autopilot was temporarily unavailable because it didn't recognize the path as a highway but a city street.
I just want the stupid thing to maintain a constant speed, nothing else.

Now, with the recent vision-only updates, I can't even use TACC without the wipers frantically dry humping the windshield. It would be one thing if it actually used some fluid to help clean, but no, just a constant screech of dry silicon on the clean glass.

It was bad enough when using TACC that the car would apply the breaks every time there was a flashing yellow light for a deer crossing warning or inactive train crossing. Now add the wipers to this and I don't even use cruise anymore.

Thanks for listening

I couldn't agree more. Have as good a trip as you can under the circumstances. My previoius car, a 2015 MS with autopilot carried my wife and me across country five times, no issues at all. We loved the long trips, mostly because of autopilot. Now, I'm dreading this trip coming up soon.

Hi everyone, I got my model 3 two months ago and most of the times if I set the wipers to auto, especially at night the wipers wont stop working - even if it is not raining at all!
did anyone notices such thing?

I just did 2 hours of motorway driving and had this issue. It's absolutely maddening.

We moved to a new house recently. Specifically one with a drive way so I charge the M3. However, there is also a large tree nearby that rains down sap and pollen at this time of year. What a PITA. If this is the future, my next car probably won't be a Tesla :-(

The auto wipers are sh*t. The auto high beams they finally fixed and it works pretty decent now but the auto wipers are just hot garbage. I used to be able to use autopilot in any rain storm and since I use RainX, the water just beads away. I was able to keep the wipers off and it would work just fine.

Now with vision only, you can't turn off the wipers when autopilot or cruse control is on. Which is fine if the auto wipers weren't so sh*tty. Every little water, wiper full speed. Shadows, wipers full speed. Night time, wipers full speed. What's the point of the different speeds if you're going to run them at full speed for everything anyway?

I'm wondering if there is some small amount of dirt or smudge in front of one of the camera's on windshield causing this. My brand new MYLR did this to me last night with cruise control on. Tesla should deactivate mandatory Auto with Cruise or autopilot. I will clean that area of windshield tonight to see if that makes a difference.