Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrective maneuvers taken for no reason

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

Is anyone else noticing issues with 2020.8.1 and corrective maneuvers being taken for no apparent reason?
(By corrective maneuvers I mean the car will flash a warning on the display saying it is taking control for your safety and it will show the edge of the road in red)

It seems with this update it brought a bug where this will happen seemingly at random. In Europe this is irritating because the car will try to steer away from the edge of the road, but in a lot of cases we need to hug the edge of the road because of narrow lanes and oncoming wide vehicles!

This never happened in a previous update, just curious how many people experience this aside from me. I saw 'Tesla Driver' on YouTube experienced it a lot too. :)

(Model 3 Performance, UK, 2020.8.1)

Reactions: jsmay311 and Gt1948
Hi everyone!

Is anyone else noticing issues with 2020.8.1 and corrective maneuvers being taken for no apparent reason?
(By corrective maneuvers I mean the car will flash a warning on the display saying it is taking control for your safety and it will show the edge of the road in red)

It seems with this update it brought a bug where this will happen seemingly at random. In Europe this is irritating because the car will try to steer away from the edge of the road, but in a lot of cases we need to hug the edge of the road because of narrow lanes and oncoming wide vehicles!

This never happened in a previous update, just curious how many people experience this aside from me. I saw 'Tesla Driver' on YouTube experienced it a lot too. :)

Quite a lot of posts about it. All linked to 8.1 or later. Maybe more on UK roads which is where I am.

Definite change. Last thing you need to help concentration. On dark lanes is sudden loud warnings about how urgently you need assistance!

yep, same here, not in UK but started with same update. Not exactly random but under circumstances where it wouldn’t do anything before. Strangely, but happily, the alert claims that it intervened with steering but I didn’t actually feel anything.

yep, same here, not in UK but started with same update. Not exactly random but under circumstances where it wouldn’t do anything before. Strangely, but happily, the alert claims that it intervened with steering but I didn’t actually feel anything.
I agree that most of the time... even with the most emphatic warnings, it doesn't wrench the wheel out of my hands. Sometimes a twitch, but not much. It's more likely me jumping out of my skin that leads to the car changing direction!

Last edited:
I've noticed this as well and only after I upgraded to 2020.8.1. Very annoying and distracting when it alerts for absolutely no reason! Thankfully, it hasn't applied the corrective measures as it usually happens when I'm meeting someone on a 2-lane road.